Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone offering an aftermarket method for keeping the exhaust by-pass open or closed at the driver's discretion? I'm ready!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There should be a tuner or something that'll let you do it ? Sport mode doesn't keep it open ??
It is open in race mode, but of course then traction control is off. I thought it might be wise to sometimes enjoy the bypass while maintaining traction control.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It is open in race mode, but of course then traction control is off. I thought it might be wise to sometimes enjoy the bypass while maintaining traction control.
I really really really really really wish that the exhaust opened in dynamic. The official description is that dynamic does give a throatier exhaust note than natural, but full on bypass occurs only in race. It's one of those things that likely won't be addressed until down the road a bit.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I really really really really really wish that the exhaust opened in dynamic. The official description is that dynamic does give a throatier exhaust note than natural, but full on bypass occurs only in race. It's one of those things that likely won't be addressed until down the road a bit.
I have been mucking around for a solution. Should have results posted soon lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
With the M3/M4 you can select "Sport Plus" mode which will open the exhaust valve and then you can go underneath the car and unplug the exhaust valve harnesses on each side and tape up the connector to protect them. Granted this keeps the exhaust valves open and at their loudest all the time but you can plug it back in when you want and this requires no modifications whatsoever. This was known as the "golf tee mod".

So with the QV, can you select race mode to open the valve, unplug the harnesses if they are accessible and keep the exhaust loud all the time without throwing an error code? If possible, this is what I will likely do unless I look at an aftermarket option like Novitec, Akrapovic, etc

·
Registered
288 Posts
That sounds like something that'll throw a code, weird that it didn't in an M3/M4 though. I thought it would considering how crazy the electronics are in those things. Maybe someone can take a crack at it and see what happens... worst case scenario you could just plug in a scanner and clear the code no?

·
Registered
418 Posts
That sounds like something that'll throw a code, weird that it didn't in an M3/M4 though. I thought it would considering how crazy the electronics are in those things. Maybe someone can take a crack at it and see what happens... worst case scenario you could just plug in a scanner and clear the code no?
I'll bring it up to my customer and see if it's something he wants to try. He's done a whole boatload of modifications to his son's Abarth.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The exhaust valve is vacuum controlled. Should have it figured out before we get too far along. Some of the issue with these cars is the underbody tray requires a bit more time to carefully remove.

Tech info with diagrams and so forth is a ways off for the enthusiasts. Though, hopeful we can find the vacuum source in the engine compartment and create a separate mode switch that does not require any underbody work (where the actual exhaust valve is located).

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
576 Posts
It's entirely possible that it is codeable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
With the M3/M4 you can select "Sport Plus" mode which will open the exhaust valve and then you can go underneath the car and unplug the exhaust valve harnesses on each side and tape up the connector to protect them. Granted this keeps the exhaust valves open and at their loudest all the time but you can plug it back in when you want and this requires no modifications whatsoever. This was known as the "golf tee mod".

So with the QV, can you select race mode to open the valve, unplug the harnesses if they are accessible and keep the exhaust loud all the time without throwing an error code? If possible, this is what I will likely do unless I look at an aftermarket option like Novitec, Akrapovic, etc
[email protected] was able to accomplish this, here is what he shared with me:

So here is how you do it. (I did it as soon as I brought the car home) Reach into the rear valance (Make sure car is cold) and you will feel a valve connected to the inside exhaust pipe. You will feel a silicone hose attached to it. Simply pull the hose off the Valve and cap it. The solenoid/sensor is mounted prior to this point so there will be no way of the car detecting something has changed. I will make a DIY shortly for this.

·
Vendor
619 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
The exhaust valve is vacuum controlled. Should have it figured out before we get too far along. Some of the issue with these cars is the underbody tray requires a bit more time to carefully remove.

Tech info with diagrams and so forth is a ways off for the enthusiasts. Though, hopeful we can find the vacuum source in the engine compartment and create a separate mode switch that does not require any underbody work (where the actual exhaust valve is located).
It's entirely possible that it is codeable.
Unplug vacuum hose and insert screw. No code cure yet :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
right now maybe the easiest way to do so is zip tie the vacuum switch open.
Is there anything like this available for the giulia 2.0ti? I just took my rear apart and couldn't find any valve to do the golf tee mod :/ I really don't want to have to install a different exhaust system.. here are some pics of the underside

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.