Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on 70k kms for my 2017 Q4 and service brakes message is on.
Car is mostly driven by wife, who is not the spirited driver by all means and more like grandma style driver.
Most milage is city driven.
That would be my second set since new, changed originals at 35k kms.
This is 1-st time in my life I have to change brakes every 35k kms, only time I had earlier change was Mazda3 due to rear brakes defect which was covered by recall.
Am I only one having this issue?
Is there possible some kind of defect?
OEM pads/rotors made from cardboard?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
I changed my first set at 17k miles. fyi fwiw. You'll see a lot of owners have similar mileage, dependent on driving style of course. OEM is kind of crappy IMO.

I recommend:
FRONT - POWER STOP Z232052 {Z23-2052} Z23 Evolution Sport; Carbon Fiber-Ceramic; Includes Hardware
REAR - POWER STOP Z231989 {Z23-1989} Z23 Evolution Sport; Carbon Fiber-Ceramic; Includes Hardware

For rotors, I like Raybestos, Brembo, EBC.

Reactions: beta2alfa

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed my first set at 17k miles. fyi fwiw. You'll see a lot of owners have similar mileage, dependent on driving style of course. OEM is kind of crappy IMO.

I recommend:
FRONT - POWER STOP Z232052 {Z23-2052} Z23 Evolution Sport; Carbon Fiber-Ceramic; Includes Hardware
REAR - POWER STOP Z231989 {Z23-1989} Z23 Evolution Sport; Carbon Fiber-Ceramic; Includes Hardware

thanks

·
Vendor
85 Posts
How about a rotor that can last 113,000+ miles ( 5 years w/ 2 sets of pads) and mostly on spirited drivings for a heavy and high HP car like Mercedes E63
In the long run a 2pc rotors can save you money and downtime even the initial buying cost is higher than one piece rotors, and you only need to replace the rotor rings when needed while the hats are re-usable.

2.0L stock replacement upgrade two piece rotors are being made available with a 4-6 weeks lead-time.

·
Registered
641 Posts

I recommend:

How's rust/corrosion for these pads?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia 2.0t RWD 324hp
19 Posts
Giulia seems to eat at least rear brake pads very fast. 22tkm and my rear pads were at metal. I think the reason here is, it has electric control for the wheel spin (with brakes). And when i slide it at winter, it controls the rear end with rear brake all the time.
If you have Q4 the problem is not so big
If you have Q2 (with mechanical diff) it doesn't need to balance rear wheel spinning difference so much with brakes
If you have traction control on (so no race) the problem doesn't exist so fast

Don't know if it's the case or not, but this is how i have thought it.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,088 Posts
How about a rotor that can last 113,000+ miles ( 5 years w/ 2 sets of pads) and mostly on spirited drivings for a heavy and high HP car like Mercedes E63
In the long run a 2pc rotors can save you money and downtime even the initial buying cost is higher than one piece rotors, and you only need to replace the rotor rings when needed while the hats are re-usable.

2.0L stock replacement upgrade two piece rotors are being made available with a 4-6 weeks lead-time.
I don't see a price for the rings. For Ceika the rings are about 85-90% of the cost of the whole 2 piece rotor and more expensive than whole OEM rotors.

I got about 30k MILES each from my first 2 sets of OEM pads. I now have EBC yellow with about 30k miles on them with barely any wear showing. I drive almost exclusively on highway with about 20% of that being moderately aggressive.

·
Registered
641 Posts

I recommend:

Do they have the wear wire built into these pads?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Reactions: beta2alfa

·
Vendor
85 Posts
Does anyone ever notice if the pad wear pattern is reasonably uniform between inboard and outboard.
We discovered the OE rear rotor offset was "off" from the caliper bracket center by about 1mm.

·
Registered
Giulia 2.0t RWD 324hp
19 Posts
i haven't. Inner and outer wear was quite the same but generally it's quite common that inner pads wear faster than outer. So the off center may even be deliberately done.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
i haven't. Inner and outer wear was quite the same but generally it's quite common that inner pads wear faster than outer. So the off center may even be deliberately done.
Not as likely to happen on multi-piston fixed calipers. It can happen on the 2.0 though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts