Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this today. The door seal is completely worn through. The car is only 3 months old with 2,600 miles. This seems like way too much wear for that kind of light use. Oddly enough, this seems too high for my butt to rub the door jamb when getting in and out.

I just thought I would mention it so you could check your own for wear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Mine wore like that at the sill and was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I think some of that wear is caused be the seat moving back at driver exit. I find myself rolling against that post. I really don't like the seat moving back at all.

My Giulia is in the shop waiting on an air bag connector, other wise I'd look at mine for comparison (14,000 miles).

Try to get AR to warranty this door seal. It's way to early for these kind of things. That seal should last ten to twenty years.

Reactions: 19737

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to get them to warranty it, and when they replace it I will reinforce the area with some black duct tape. I think that rubber is just too soft.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The dealer will likely warranty it, as the car is so new and customer satisfaction should be paramount in this case. However, that wear is from rubbing of the driver getting in and out of the car. You will need to adjust your entry and exit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry, I just noticed the build date on the car. Some of that wear may have come from test drives, etc. It was on the lot for almost a year.

Reactions: kshitishsoman

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just looked at my door seal and it looks fine in this area. 1 yr + 1 month old, 7,700 miles.

I wouldn't try to get a warranty claim, I'd demand they do it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just looked at my door seal and it looks fine in this area. 1 yr + 1 month old, 7,700 miles.

I wouldn't try to get a warranty claim, I'd demand they do it.
I was being like, low key, >:). Yes I'll get it warrantied. If just getting in and out causes that in 2,600 miles it is a design issue, not an operator problem. Simply getting in and out of a car should not damage it in that length of time. It only had 300 miles when I bought it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was being like, low key, >:). Yes I'll get it warrantied. If just getting in and out causes that in 2,600 miles it is a design issue, not an operator problem. Simply getting in and out of a car should not damage it in that length of time. It only had 300 miles when I bought it.
I agree it is a tight squeeze. I am 6 ft 175 lbs. in order for AR to meet safety standards, Weight balance, driving dynamics, aesthetics, etc. That is where the B-pillar needs to be. Moving it back causes a chain reaction in a small executive car. Side impact protection decreases so they would have to further reinforce the area which adds weight. Now the rear door is too small, so it is made bigger, now the wheel is being intruded upon, lengthen the wheelbase... and it goes on and on. Now the car is the size of a Genesis G80. Unfortunately, all cars have trade offs.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
I don't mind working a little to get in and out of my Giulia. It's worth the effort.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine was replaced under warranty with a much beefier seal. No problems since.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'm not checking my butt and reporting it here....

On a more serious note, after 11K miles (but 3K were put in 3 days on a cross country drive), I notice a slight bit of wind noise increase on my driver door (only) and feel the seals are a bit worn out though I see no visual signs yet. But I wonder if the seals are going to go toast. But 3 months is awfully quick.

·
Vendor
3,423 Posts
I just noticed this today. The door seal is completely worn through. The car is only 3 months old with 2,600 miles. This seems like way too much wear for that kind of light use. Oddly enough, this seems too high for my butt to rub the door jamb when getting in and out.

You need to be more aware of how you enter the vehicle. This wear is from you entering the vehicle, the B pillar is really close to the front of the car so you rub it getting in. This is not premature wear due to faulty part. It's all driver caused.

I am very careful about entering the vehicle and thus have 0 wear on that spot of the weather seal.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
As much as we all respect you @Alfissimo , NAH. That car is too young for this.

Reactions: LoCoRob

·
Vendor
3,423 Posts
As much as we all respect you @Alfissimo , NAH. That car is too young for this.
New or not, constant rubbing of this type of material will wear very quickly! Tell me your theory for the wear in that exact trajectory where your rear end slides by to get into the vehicle?

·
Vendor
3,423 Posts
I'll try to get them to warranty it, and when they replace it I will reinforce the area with some black duct tape. I think that rubber is just too soft.
Won't seal properly with duct tape. Leave it alone. The material is supple and very flexable in order to seal the door. Duct tape will cause it to have two hard of a area, thus not sealing. You will end up ruining a good seal. Plus over a little time the duct tape will peel off, look like crap and if you try removing it, it will pull off pieces of the seal. If anything I'd add a little silicone to it and be diligent on your jeans rubbing against it on entry. I know you think I am incorrect but you are welcome to try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
New or not, constant rubbing of this type of material will wear very quickly! Tell me your theory for the wear in that exact trajectory where your rear end slides by to get into the vehicle?
I'm not contesting the cause. The question is of fidelity/quality. My stance is that 1 year-ish of car life, 3 month-ish of any abuse should not cause a seal to wear to this extent unless it was inadvertently or actively sabotaged by owner/operator, which I hope it is not. Hey @19737, are you wearing like pants with metal buttons on the rear or something out of the ordinary?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts