Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Need your suggestion here. Today I went out, parked my car and later did a remote start, once I entered my vehicle I saw something odd, Forward collision unavailable message and check engine light were ON, then immediately following that, all error messages started to flood in. I am not sure what exactly had happened, 15 mins earlier everything was fine. It was rainy while I was driving, I know that's not a problem Alfa can take a lot more than that. I have anyways contacted the service center but they will be available only by Monday, so until then I won't be able to drive my car as except headlights no other lights work(tail light and turn signal lights), I have attached a video, please let me know if anyone had faced a similar issue and how was it resolved. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Need your suggestion here. Today I went out, parked my car and later did a remote start, once I entered my vehicle I saw something odd, Forward collision unavailable message and check engine light were ON, then immediately following that, all error messages started to flood in. I am not sure what exactly had happened, 15 mins earlier everything was fine. It was rainy while I was driving, I know that's not a problem Alfa can take a lot more than that. I have anyways contacted the service center but they will be available only by Monday, so until then I won't be able to drive my car as except headlights no other lights work(tail light and turn signal lights), I have attached a video, please let me know if anyone had faced a similar issue and how was it resolved. Thank you.
There’s always the ever popular weak/bad battery issue. You have a battery charger/maintainer?

·
Registered
642 Posts
So is the gas gauge accurate? Because remote start will not work with gas light on. If that’s not issue I would check battery connections and battery.
I didn’t even know the gas gauge went to a red color..

I’d start with that especially if the weather is below freezing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There’s always the ever popular weak/bad battery issue. You have a battery charger/maintainer?
No I don't have one, I think I will have the battery checked somehow, hope that's the issue. Thank you for your feedback

·
Registered
2017 - Veloce
19 Posts
Had the same problem one week ago. My battery was the issue. Got every error message that’s possible (didn’t know it had so many sensors haha). Installed a new battery and the problem was solved. Mine also seemed to reboot or some kind when I pressed the start button for the second time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Alfa Philly @wingler @TrypleX Battery is the culprit, when I tried to start my car today I saw the warning Low Battery at first, but luckily turn signal lights work, so I will take it to auto zone and charge my battery, is that okay to recharge the battery or do you guys recommend changing to a new battery?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
@Alfa Philly @wingler @TrypleX Battery is the culprit, when I tried to start my car today I saw the warning Low Battery at first, but luckily turn signal lights work, so I will take it to auto zone and charge my battery, is that okay to recharge the battery or do you guys recommend changing to a new battery?
They should be able to perform a battery health check for you at Autozone, although it probably won’t be totally comprehensive. If it tests out OK, I’d be inclined to keep it and take a chance, it’s not that old. I’d definitely invest in a battery maintainer no matter what you do, and use it every week or two depending on your driving habits. I have the Alfa branded CTEK charger below. A few $’s more than the generic CTEK equivalent, but what the heck.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
528 Posts
Don't mean to be an alarmist but this seems to be a recurring issue. I've read a lot of people having a similar issue. Imagine this issue in the middle of winter on a desolate road. The consequences could be very dire. It should be a recall.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Do this:

1. start the car, in park, turn the wheel all the left and right two times pausing 2 seconds at each full stop
2. return the wheel to the center position.
2. drive a few hundred yards

This clears the issue for me (twice). It's likely a battery issue.

The steering wheel thing is actually covered in the owners manual, although it's far from obvious or something you'd expect.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I wouldn’t even waste my time trying to charge it. I’m not saying I’m rich but if spending $2-300 for peace of mind just seems easy to me. You could charge it today and have same issue next week and be stranded. Get an interstate battery. They have 36 month warranty.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wouldn’t even waste my time trying to charge it. I’m not saying I’m rich but if spending $2-300 for peace of mind just seems easy to me. You could charge it today and have same issue next week and be stranded. Get an interstate battery. They have 36 month warranty.
I think owning one of these cars really requires a battery charger. if you’re planning to let it sit for more than a couple days. It has to be used. Even with that, I had one weird issue that I believe was a low battery.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I think owning one of these cars really requires a battery charger. if you’re planning to let it sit for more than a couple days. It has to be used. Even with that, I had one weird issue that I believe was a low battery.
they need to get a new supplier. It’s absurd to make people charge a battery because a car sits for a week. Think about the actual cost of that battery now after running electric on it for 365 days. Unreal. What do people who live in city do? Can’t run a cord to street.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,147 Posts
It is unclear how many of the battery dead problems are caused by accidental discharge (i.e. hitting a bug in the electronics power down code) and how many are caused by a bad battery.

It is also unclear how many bad batteries are caused by excessive discharge of the OEM battery while the car sits on the dealer lot, unmaintained.

Fully discharging a lead-acid battery (especially a starter battery) is not good for it. Even so, if you can get a proper battery tester and use that to evaluate the battery it seems like a reasonably trustworthy way to tell if the battery needs to be replaced. A simple voltage across the open circuit battery test is not sufficient.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Giulia Ti Sport Q4
292 Posts
they need to get a new supplier. It’s absurd to make people charge a battery because a car sits for a week. Think about the actual cost of that battery now after running electric on it for 365 days. Unreal. What do people who live in city do? Can’t run a cord to street.
I agree. My SRT8 sits 5-6 months every winter. I start it and let it run every so often, but that isn’t a regular thing. It starts every spring without codes.

Then again, my Ducati’s need to sit on a maintainer all winter or they will be dead come spring. Must be an Italian thing!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do a little research on batteries and temperature. Powersports batteries are the worst. I keep a tender on my MC and don't even take the battery out the bike anymore. Sits in freezing conditions for a couple of months and restarts. No tender equals a new battery every 3 years or less. My Triumph currently has a 6 year old battery is great condition because it always sits on a tender. Will replace this year just due to age because it is a beast to pushstart :). I would treat rarely driven newer cars the same. Tender just prevents battery problems and is money well spent.

I have let my Giulia sit for up to 3 weeks while traveling - no issues.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree. My SRT8 sits 5-6 months every winter. I start it and let it run every so often, but that isn’t a regular thing. It starts every spring without codes.

Then again, my Ducati’s need to sit on a maintainer all winter or they will be dead come spring. Must be an Italian thing!
This exact same discussion is taking place on the Honda CRV owners forum so it’s not an elitist or nationalist issue 🙂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts