Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2017 Giulia Ti Q4 with 19" sport pack and perf. pack a year ago and just dropped it off at the dealer for service. Got a Ghibli SQ4 as a loaner for the day and after driving it, I am only that much more impressed with the Giulia and happy with my purchase. Granted the Ghibli is a loaner with 10k miles on it which I'm sure have been harsh miles, the Giulia just feels so much more refined and well put together. Everything from the brakes and the steering to the buttons and controls on the interior, the Giulia just feels so much tighter and high quality. I've always heard the saying that the Ghibli is just a Chrysler part bin car, but I didn't really believe it until now. And for having 424 hp, it certainly doesn't feel any faster than the Giulia, which I guess can be accredited to how much lighter the Giulia is. The Giulia is also much more nimble and just an all around better handling car. Not trying to knock on the Ghibli too much, it's a quick car, looks great and sounds great, but certainly not worth anywhere near the almost six figure price tag. Driving it has just given me that much more appreciation for the amazing quality, handling and performance of the Giulia especially at the very affordable price that it comes at. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience and say to anyone who is considering a new Giulia, do not hesitate!

·
Registered
691 Posts
So I bought a 2017 Giulia Ti Q4 with 19" sport pack and perf. pack a year ago and just dropped it off at the dealer for service. Got a Ghibli SQ4 as a loaner for the day and after driving it, I am only that much more impressed with the Giulia and happy with my purchase. Granted the Ghibli is a loaner with 10k miles on it which I'm sure have been harsh miles, the Giulia just feels so much more refined and well put together. Everything from the brakes and the steering to the buttons and controls on the interior, the Giulia just feels so much tighter and high quality. I've always heard the saying that the Ghibli is just a Chrysler part bin car, but I didn't really believe it until now. And for having 424 hp, it certainly doesn't feel any faster than the Giulia, which I guess can be accredited to how much lighter the Giulia is. The Giulia is also much more nimble and just an all around better handling car. Not trying to knock on the Ghibli too much, it's a quick car, looks great and sounds great, but certainly not worth anywhere near the almost six figure price tag. Driving it has just given me that much more appreciation for the amazing quality, handling and performance of the Giulia especially at the very affordable price that it comes at. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience and say to anyone who is considering a new Giulia, do not hesitate!
I had nearly the exact experience, although I was comparing a ghibli to my QV. The Ghibli felt huge and sluggish compared to my QV. I liken it to a big fat tiger with a ponch to my sleek and nimble cheetah. Both impressive in their own ways but much prefer the Cheetah. I will say that the Ghibli entertainment center, while not as refined, offered more controls and the overhead 3d view was cool. And speaking of cool, in these ht summer days, I enjoyed the Ghibli cooled seats. But as far as actual driving experience it was no contest.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just wonder if we can have the same Ghibli exhaust sound, that will be perfect ;)

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
I've always loved the look and sound of the Ghibli. One of the sexiest cars on the road. But I've never once read a positive article about how they drive.
A local dealership here in the Chicago area has a 2014 Ghibli S Q4 with 21,000 miles for only $37,800.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a Ghibli as a loaner. It felt fairly quick and had a good exhaust note. Felt a bit boat like in the handling.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You all suck. When I got a loaner it was a Chrysler 200; base model at that. That steel turd reminded me why I despise sedans and so thankful the Giulia is really a sports car with four doors.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can't comment on the Ghibli but the Giulia has ruined every other option I was considering down the road, in the case I might want to get into something else. Everything I drive now doesn't feel as special. Might be fast and powerful, but doesn't have the spry, nimble dialed-in feel of the Giulia. I drove a friend's M240i back to back with the Giulia. While the M240i has impressive power, the steering was numb and overall it just felt larger than it should have whereas the Giulia feels smaller than it is. I drove a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost with its 310HP/350ft-lbs and though fast just didn't feel special (and I really wanted to like it having given up on the GT because I hated filling up my '15 GT every week). It looks like I'll either be keeping the Giulia for the long haul or trading up to another Giulia at the end of warranty as I don't see anything on the horizon that has the same appeal.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport
70 Posts
I drove my brother’s Ghibli for two and a half weeks while he was on his honeymoon. Really hated to give it back but it convinced me that the new Audi A4 I was looking at just didn’t measure up in comparison. Researching my options I stopped in at a local Fiat/Alfa dealer just to see what the Giulia looked like in person. Dealer was great - took his time with me and offered a test drive. I was sold, well only literally! But a week later I was back and they let me have the car I wanted - a Ti Sport Q4 with static and dynamic driver assist packages, sport suspension, paddle shifters (an absolute MUST for any Giulia), enhanced map display, split sun roof and enhanced leather seating - for the weekend. That sealed the deal and I never looked back. Now almost 3,000 miles later and absolutely zero problems to report! I LOVE THUS CAR, so much fun to drive and still very scarce in central Ohio. So glad I didn’t go with the Ghibli as it handled like a 70’s Cadillac (boat like) and the steering was so limp compared to the Giulia. And also a tad overpriced IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts