Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this in now the second time the ETCS warning light & CEL were displayed; however this time the CEL was blinking and was followed by the Start & Stop restart req'd. Fault Detected message.
here are the codes I pulled today:

P0300: Random Misfire Detected
P01CA: (no description displayed)
P01C8: (no description displayed)
P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P008A: Low Pressure Fuel System Pressure - Too Low
P0087: Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
P00C6: (no description displayed)
P0302: Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

Last time the dealer had the car for a month... hopefully this time around they know what to fix/replace.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
Watch out for the dealer fixing things that were broken by something else, but not fixing the root cause. I would be suspicious of a fuel pump (fuel pump problems are well documented in the forums) or fuel line problem, assuming the car has not been driven to empty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watch out for the dealer fixing things that were broken by something else, but not fixing the root cause. I would be suspicious of a fuel pump (fuel pump problems are well documented in the forums) or fuel line problem, assuming the car has not been driven to empty.
This is what was replaced the first time around.

3 Fuel Injectors
6 Fuel Injector Seals
2 Spark Plugs
1 Fuel Injector Tube
1 Manifold Gasket
1 Fuel Vapor Valve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well third times the charm??? The ETCS and blinking CEL were back today, then went away, and after engine restart the CEL is on with limp mode.
Fuel tank was above 3/4, in Dynamic mode.

P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

back t the dealer I guess.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
Well third times the charm??? The ETCS and blinking CEL were back today, then went away, and after engine restart the CEL is on with limp mode.
Fuel tank was above 3/4, in Dynamic mode.

P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

back t the dealer I guess.
Insist that your dealer check if the low pressure fuel pump issue applies to your car and at least tell you if it does or does not apply.

What is it with low pressure fuel pumps?

1961-1964 E-types have such a problem (the pump overheats and leaves you stranded 100 miles from home).

Almost all American made cars prior to 1970 have such problems when it gets hot (vapor lock).

My 2000 Dodge Ram diesel pickup truck also had such a failure; a problem with a TSB against it but that I didn't know about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are you using to pick off the codes? And sorry for your pain
I simply go to Autozone and use thier scanner , and then have them print out the results.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I simply go to Autozone and use thier scanner , and then have them print out the results.
This is good to know since there is an AutoZone about 1/4 mile from my house. It can limp there. BTW. Are you finding your CF seats comfy. I have had so many folks that don't have them say they elected not to choose them because they are not comfortable. Maybe our eyes just convinced our bodies "you will love these seats" but I really do like them and the looks of the seat back are OMG a stunner.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
P01CA: (no description displayed)
P01C8: (no description displayed)
P00C6: (no description displayed)
For the record:

P01CA: Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low - Engine Start
P01C8: Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low - Bank 2
P00C6: Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low - Engine Start

The first 2 are from the Slave ECU. The last one is from the Master ECU.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@MacGeek - can you confirm that user clearing of codes and any other “active diagnostics” via the OBD port is not possible on 2018+ models due to the security gateway blocking access?

I’m really surprised FCA has been able to do that around the various right to repair laws.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Now confirmed that 2018 models onwards block any 3rd party (not FCA witech2 tool) from executing commands on the vehicle....INCLUDING code clearing.

Direct from MES :

Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the SGW for now. The SGW (Security Gateway) module blocks any diagnostic tool from executing commands on the vehicle (like actuators, procedures and even clearing of DTCs).

This device is connected between the OBD connector and CAN buses of the car. So, any command sent to any module in the car goes through this device. The only way to unlock full diagnostic possibilities for these cars is by online Witech2 tool. It reads the unlock codes by VIN from Fiats servers and sends the unlock command to the SGW device. So far no one else has access to these unlock codes.

FCA says that this SGW device protects the car from hacking, but we think that they are actually trying to lock all aftermarket tools/service/car modifications.

There are people who are already trying to hack the device and unlock without the codes, but we have to wait and see.

So far the only possibility for diagnostics of these cars is with Witech2 online tool, or by physically bypassing the SGW device (i.e. connecting to CAN behind this device). People have success by connecting to CAN bus at different point (not at OBD connector, but body computer, dashboard or climate control).

Some people also reported that they wired a second OBD port which is connected directly to body computer and does not go through this device so that they can play with their own cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is good to know since there is an AutoZone about 1/4 mile from my house. It can limp there. BTW. Are you finding your CF seats comfy. I have had so many folks that don't have them say they elected not to choose them because they are not comfortable. Maybe our eyes just convinced our bodies "you will love these seats" but I really do like them and the looks of the seat back are OMG a stunner.
They are comfortable for short to medium drives. On longer drives they wear on your thighs and posterior. But I get tons of compliments at Cars and Coffee events.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now confirmed that 2018 models onwards block any 3rd party (not FCA witech2 tool) from executing commands on the vehicle....INCLUDING code clearing.

Direct from MES :

Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the SGW for now. The SGW (Security Gateway) module blocks any diagnostic tool from executing commands on the vehicle (like actuators, procedures and even clearing of DTCs).

This device is connected between the OBD connector and CAN buses of the car. So, any command sent to any module in the car goes through this device. The only way to unlock full diagnostic possibilities for these cars is by online Witech2 tool. It reads the unlock codes by VIN from Fiats servers and sends the unlock command to the SGW device. So far no one else has access to these unlock codes.

FCA says that this SGW device protects the car from hacking, but we think that they are actually trying to lock all aftermarket tools/service/car modifications.

There are people who are already trying to hack the device and unlock without the codes, but we have to wait and see.

So far the only possibility for diagnostics of these cars is with Witech2 online tool, or by physically bypassing the SGW device (i.e. connecting to CAN behind this device). People have success by connecting to CAN bus at different point (not at OBD connector, but body computer, dashboard or climate control).

Some people also reported that they wired a second OBD port which is connected directly to body computer and does not go through this device so that they can play with their own cars.

I find this hard to believe with the R2R act and the latest push to have IRFs conduct much of the same work that dealerships do. You may just need to have the latest VCI and either FCA diagnostices or an SAE approved Flash application.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
They are comfortable for short to medium drives. On longer drives they wear on your thighs and posterior. But I get tons of compliments at Cars and Coffee events.
We are limited to about 7 - 8 hours but it is a one day round trip. We have not felt the thighs but I do cheat and sit on a towel to give me more height:smile2: So maybe i get that extra support. A QV booster seat for the driver:grin2: My husband thinks they are more comfortable than our other cars (one with sport seats, bolsters and lumbar and the other no sport seats (I hate) and I guess because we are shorter (him much taller than me but that doesn’t take much) I am only 5’3 5’4 and tiny so it pretty much lifts my thighs to my knees are in a nice driving position. If we go longer I will probably get an insert with a gel lumbar to make it more comfortable if needed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So after picking up my car last Wednesday, Within 10 miles the CEL came on then started flashing, then went into limp mode.
I took it back to the dealer, in 3 days it will have been with the dealer for 30 days....

Here is what the dealer found, repaired/replaced before Wednesday's repeat adventure:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts