Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Everyone quick question; a lot of you tracked you cars build. how long did you wait for the car once it was in the USA at port to get delivered to the dealer. car arrived at port on 07/17 still nothing in limbo.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Who knows. It seems to depend on how much work they have to do to it. Mine was either in the port of Houston for two days or a month. I could never get a straight answer out of anyone. Now once it was released from the Houston location it arrived at the dealer in DFW in a day.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who knows. It seems to depend on how much work they have to do to it. Mine was either in the port of Houston for two days or a month. I could never get a straight answer out of anyone. Now once it was released from the Houston location it arrived at the dealer in DFW in a day.
i don't know why either whats the big to just saying"car is in port, having trouble with updates going o be a little longer wait" I would feel better. **** three different days three checks three different status points the craziest being all parts are in and car is scheduled to be built next week(car was already in the US). wake up alfa

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes indeed. Once again I point out to Alfa Romeo USA that logistics is spelled - l o g i s t i c s

I would think they would know and be able to tell us where any car is at any time.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes indeed. Once again I point out to Alfa Romeo USA that logistics is spelled - l o g i s t i c s

I would think they would know and be able to tell us where any car is at any time.[/QUO

A must read for any import;

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-ports-see-costly-delays-as-cargo-ships-volumes-grow-1430340113
Interesting. Too much trade is a good problem to have. Nevertheless, a car company ships their cars on RORO ships to be unloaded at car yards they own or contract with, where the cars are prepped and equipment added. They know where each car is at all times. They just will not tell us. If they need help with this all they have to do is just visit with BMW.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unfortunately this can vary - mine was at port for (best I can tell about a month). It took me getting my dealer to get in touch with Alfa and get them to release the car. My guess is there are cars waiting on software updates etc...

·
Registered
13 Posts
My car arrived in the Houston port and took 15 days to get to Austin. 13 of that was at the port and two for transfer to Austin because the port release occurred over the weekend. The last shipment to my dealer took 7 days as the port was not congested.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i guess going to be the latter. i checked today i was told software upgrades to make sure car was prefect for me upon arrival. they can't give me eta on delivery. monday the 7th of august will be 3 weeks at port and one month over the time i was promised the from dealer.

·
Registered
641 Posts
well i guess going to be the latter. i checked today i was told software upgrades to make sure car was prefect for me upon arrival. they can't give me eta on delivery. monday the 7th of august will be 3 weeks at port and one month over the time i was promised the from dealer.
Sal

"Looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them." (Lucy Maud Montgomery).

Except that with the Q, "the reality is far more that the imagination comprehends" (Simey).

Hang in there buddy, soon it will be here. I can't wait for it to happen for you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sal

"Looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them." (Lucy Maud Montgomery).

Except that with the Q, "the reality is far more that the imagination comprehends" (Simey).

Hang in there buddy, soon it will be here. I can't wait for it to happen for you.
Clearly Lucy does not live in our instant gratification society.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Same situation as me - but my car has not exhibited any issues software related and I am at 1500 miles. Sux to wait but having the updates will save you hassle in the end.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
thanks guys for the pep talk (still sucks waiting)lol
The wait would kill me! I've never ordered a car for that reason. I am not good at waiting for months for a new toy ha ha. Hope it shows up soon!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've been wondering how long other brand cars stay in port. So a bit of research this morning turned up this pretty decent article from 2011 on the Port of Newark NJ auto dock operations:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/automobiles/far-from-the-factory-adding-final-touches.html?mcubz=0

"In all, vehicles spend from two and six days at Toyota’s facility, depending on the work they require. It takes on average another 1.9 days for a vehicle, once completed, to leave the facility."

So with a Toyota you're looking at 4-8 days total time off the ship until it is on the truck leaving the port on the way to the dealer.

It also seems like Toyota's facility would have more work to do than Alfa, as Toyota's company owned port facility is described as installing quite a bit of equipment onto the cars before they leave (and Toyota would have a much greater number of cars to churn through at the port). I doubt this is the case with our Alfas. It doesn't seem like there would be any advantage to Alfa or their dealerships to hold the cars at port for an extended length of time, especially since (at least at Newark) they probably use a contracted third party port preparation/logistics company, and I'd guess that since port space is limited some of what Alfa ultimately ends up paying a company like FAPS is based on how long the car sits there effectively in storage. Ports are about moving products in and out fairly quickly and efficiently, not letting the cargo sit and age without good reason.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've been wondering how long other brand cars stay in port. So a bit of research this morning turned up this pretty decent article from 2011 on the Port of Newark NJ auto dock operations:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/automobiles/far-from-the-factory-adding-final-touches.html?mcubz=0

"In all, vehicles spend from two and six days at Toyota’s facility, depending on the work they require. It takes on average another 1.9 days for a vehicle, once completed, to leave the facility."

So with a Toyota you're looking at 4-8 days total time off the ship until it is on the truck leaving the port on the way to the dealer.

It also seems like Toyota's facility would have more work to do than Alfa, as Toyota's company owned port facility is described as installing quite a bit of equipment onto the cars before they leave (and Toyota would have a much greater number of cars to churn through at the port). I doubt this is the case with our Alfas. It doesn't seem like there would be any advantage to Alfa or their dealerships to hold the cars at port for an extended length of time, especially since (at least at Newark) they probably use a contracted third party port preparation/logistics company, and I'd guess that since port space is limited some of what Alfa ultimately ends up paying a company like FAPS is based on how long the car sits there effectively in storage. Ports are about moving products in and out fairly quickly and efficiently, not letting the cargo sit and age without good reason.
Heh, these are Italians we are talking about. I was absolutely amazed to see a photograph of a second shift entering the plant that makes the Giulias. I had just assumed it was one shift, four days a week, with time off for lunch and a nap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts