Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had noticed a weird temperature fluctuation on the OAT (outside air temperature) display last week, but today it went nuts...

At startup, the temp read 105F...after a minute or two of driving 100F...after 12 minutes of driving I notice the OAT dropping through 50F...in the next minute it bottoms at 37F twice and twice I get the yellow snow(flake) warning for ice on road...within another minute it's back up to 85F...where it stays for 10 minutes and then right back to 95F, becore creeping bact to 100F.

Anyone seen this before, search didn't show much besides one old thread, never reported resolved.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I think I heard of that before, I even remember asking macGeek whether sensor is termistor or IR....

Most likely your temp sensor on the bottom side of passenger mirror has pooped up....be probably very easy for dealer to check the integrity of yhat sensor

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I saw that thread...thermistor was the answer...but no resolution.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, Essence Alfa’s Service Manager has another Giulia that is exhibiting the same issues. They’ve been working with Alfa for a couple of weeks to try to run it down, and he’ll call me when they have a fix. The view right now is either a connector issue or a sensor issue, but they haven’t isolated it yet.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
So, I had noticed a weird temperature fluctuation on the OAT (outside air temperature) display last week, but today it went nuts...

At startup, the temp read 105F...after a minute or two of driving 100F...after 12 minutes of driving I notice the OAT dropping through 50F...in the next minute it bottoms at 37F twice and twice I get the yellow snow(flake) warning for ice on road...within another minute it's back up to 85F...where it stays for 10 minutes and then right back to 95F, becore creeping bact to 100F.

Anyone seen this before, search didn't show much besides one old thread, never reported resolved.
Sounds like you live in Ireland, typical weather on any given day.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
OK, Essence Alfa’s Service Manager has another Giulia that is exhibiting the same issues. They’ve been working with Alfa for a couple of weeks to try to run it down, and he’ll call me when they have a fix. The view right now is either a connector issue or a sensor issue, but they haven’t isolated it yet.
I guess its good to hear that they might have some experience with this...bad connectors and wiring are notoriously hard to diagnose...the fact that mirror folds numerous times a day cant really help either....did you by any chance have any aftermarket mirror covers installed? Maybe cable is under stress (folded slightly differently than before...over time it could cause problems

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, no aftermarket covers. Essence did say the last request from Alfa Technical was an inspection of the door to body connectors and harness.

The good news is Randy was the guy that tracked down the early-00’s Ferrari intermittent driver’s door airbag warning light. In that case, two different connector families were used, and the male pins were very slightly undersized for the female receptors (waiting for @MINIME to insert joke here) and resulted in a very hard to diagnosis fluctuating failure mode. He’s already suggested to Alfa that a check of the connector families/specs may be prudent.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Nope, no aftermarket covers. Essence did say the last request from Alfa Technical was an inspection of the door to body connectors and harness.

The good news is Randy was the guy that tracked down the early-00’s Ferrari intermittent driver’s door airbag warning light. In that case, two different connector families were used, and the male pins were very slightly undersized for the female receptors (waiting for @MINIME to insert joke here) and resulted in a very hard to diagnosis fluctuating failure mode. He’s already suggested to Alfa that a check of the connector families/specs may be prudent.

Yes there is typically a fluctuating failure mode with “undersized” connectors. The receptors typically will not function correctly if this condition exists. My recommendation is to replace the “undersized” connectors with aftermarket>:)>:). Check ebay

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
If connector is inside mirror housing I would just check it myself....wouldnt bother with taking door cards off though

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If connector is inside mirror housing I would just check it myself....wouldnt bother with taking door cards off though
If it’s the same issue, it’s not “detectable” by an end user without a degree and a shitload of equipment. I’ll simply await details on the final result of the other car. This has happened twice in two weeks and perhaps two other times in the past year.

@MINIME, are you sure e-Bay? I know Tinder is out because of rampant failure to meet specifications, and Grinder doesn’t use the correct connections...maybe we just need to take a hint from the old Fiat commercial and drop a little blue pill in our tanks?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most useful, @MacGeek! Today I have pictures of 101F, 37F (with ice warning), and 76F...all time stamped within 5 minutes. Real OAT was right at 100F. What I did notice today was that the auto a/c fan speed varies somewhat based upon the OAT reading...so the problem is now a little more pressing. I’ll print this puppy up and present it to the service department, partially filled out...should be worth a double take.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And now the real problem become evident. Showing 28F on the cluster, the A/C will just spit out mildly cooled and humid air. Looks like time to drill down in the Owners Manual to find a true manual mode for the A/C, if it exists.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Closest thing to a manual mode would be putting it to LO, and manually adjusting down the fan speed until you get the desired level of cooling in the cabin.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks @MacGeek, but it doesnt work...

Remote started the car today in 100 degree heat, when I got in 3 minutes later it was quite warm...the A/C vents were blowing hot air...uh oh, looked and the cluster said 19F with the yellow snow icon!

I tried every possible combination, but with the sensor telling the car it's that cold, the A/C won't cool. MacGeek, LO plus manual just gave me heated air because the OAT was showing soo low...plus it's bad for the engine. The best I could do was A/C off, and use fan to blow the hot air around. After 10 minutes, right back up to 100F and the A/C launches a gale as soon as I turn it back on.

Stopped by the dealer, and have it scheduled to go in...they are just releasing another car with the same issue, after 24 days. The Alfa National Tech was there today to inspect, adjust, wiggle and use dielectric grease on the connections, no sensor replacement. I'm getting a loaner, so we'll just have to see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive this topic but I searched the whole Alfa Romeo Giulia forums (US and UK) for this issue and couldn't find a better match to what is happening to my Giulia.

@AlfaCrisis, did you get to the bottom of this issue? I am based in the UK and experiencing the same, in my case my temperature in Celsius goes to negative a few times during a drive. This impacts the AC operation as you also experienced .

I am due to a car service soon and planning to ask my garage to take a look, but some guidance would be a massive help.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to revive this topic but I searched the whole Alfa Romeo Giulia forums (US and UK) for this issue and couldn't find a better match to what is happening to my Giulia.

@AlfaCrisis, did you get to the bottom of this issue? I am based in the UK and experiencing the same, in my case my temperature in Celsius goes to negative a few times during a drive. This impacts the AC operation as you also experienced .

I am due to a car service soon and planning to ask my garage to take a look, but some guidance would be a massive help.

Thank you in advance
The dealership work to remove the mirror and clean and treat all the connectors with dielectric grease solved this issue for the remaining time I had the vehicle, about two years. Solved, maybe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts