Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with the RRT's, we moved from 5 bars to 4 bars as standard. Yesterday, driving 30 minutes to the dealer (mixed traffic, 10 minutes city (10-45 mph) and 20 minutes highway (50-85 mph)) the temperature bars stayed locked on 3 bars. This is the first pretty cool morning (low 50's and high 40's) since I bought the Giulia (2.0), but I would have expected it to eventually reach 4 bars. What is your experience?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have seen the same 3 bars on cold mornings, on a 4hr trip it went to 4, but then it was warmer outside.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
332 Posts
It was in the 40s the other night. I beat the crap out of this car that night and it didn?t creep past 3bars. Freaked me out, I pushed harder. Nothing. Good to see I?m not alone. Interesting if these motors are actually running cooler in the cold temps despite the strain of driving hard. Maybe it?s a programming glitch?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Same for me... had two stall issues back in summer with 5 bars. After software updates no issues and have been at 4. Last week road tripped with my cousin who drove the livin' daylights out of the car and we had 3 bars once temps dropped to about 40 - but car was and is performing perfectly.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I believe that there is no thermostat, electric water pumps controlled by computer. Looks like water temp is a real gauge and not a dummy gauge.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems fine today, hit 4 bars after air temps topped 50. Stelvio loaner was three bars yesterday and this morning, 4 when it warmed up.

As an note, the Stelvio has a nicer interior exhaust note than my Giulia...interesting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My QV will often run on 3 bars when in Advanced Efficiency (3 cyl) mode

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
Seems fine today, hit 4 bars after air temps topped 50. Stelvio loaner was three bars yesterday and this morning, 4 when it warmed up.

As an note, the Stelvio has a nicer interior exhaust note than my Giulia...interesting.
That’s because the Stelvio has exhaust notes channeled through the speakers into the cabin.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, I’ve had the same issue since it’s gotten cold. I’m glad to see mine is not unique. I’ve always babied the engine (at least <3k RPM) prior to the halfway temperature point, but with these outside temps, I can hardly see it within a 20-25 minute drive. Makes me wonder what actually constitutes ‘operating temperature.’

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sorry, I forgot it's oil temp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same issue. Going to the dealer tomorrow to address it along with a couple other things. Have any of you noticed oil level change and a drop in fuel economy as well?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
Same issue. Going to the dealer tomorrow to address it along with a couple other things. Have any of you noticed oil level change and a drop in fuel economy as well?
A sudden drop in oil level may indicate that the oil is leaking into the coolant. Check your coolant for oil sheen and check your oil for any sign of it turning milky. If you see either do not drive the car it may fail suddenly. At least one forum member has had this problem and got a new engine under warranty. It is a presumably rare failure which all brands have from time to time, typically caused by a head gasket that was damaged during installation.

Watch "Gas Monkey Garage"--they bought a Porsche 911 that was totaled after this happened.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
yes, a little microphone close to the manifold. maybe cotton balls and duct tape can "fix" it without triggering codes, and a proper sounding exhaust added. I guess when manufacturers face sound regulations so stringent that you can't hear the car from inside the designed to be quiet interior ....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaXYdRPHnrj/?taken-by=alfaromeostelvio

I don't think this is showing up on the configurator yet, certainly not at local dealers.
racy enough for me

·
Registered
340 Posts
Read this thread the other day, had never noticed this happen before on my work commutes (45min - 1 hour). Today the morning temperature in Boston was between 40-42°F. Engine temp was up to 3 bars in about 20 mins, would not go any higher. No change in oil level or fuel economy.

Reactions: efl

·
Registered
954 Posts
Two days ago I got my oil temp bar to go 5 bars. First time I noticed the oil bar go 5 bars since the ECU got updated back in May.

I was on my way to work in the morning, temperature about 65 degrees. I was doing a little bit of spirited driving in manual mode and paddle shifting and keeping my rpms above 3k. I was enjoying the sound of my Corsa exhaust. . When I finally switched to D and driving normal, the bar went down to 4 bars after a few minutes.

·
Registered
647 Posts
After my dealer update last week my engine temp is now down and perfect IMO.

BTW, for increased exhaust sounds I pump this video's audio thru my Giulia sound system and keep my windows rolled down.

·
Registered
954 Posts
BTW, for increased exhaust sounds I pump this video's audio thru my Giulia sound system and keep my windows rolled down.
LOL you're doing it wrong if you have to pump sound through your sound system!! >:)

Get the Corsa Exhaust and you'll never use your sound system again. You've been warned!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
A Ford Model T is water cooled but lacks any water pump at all. It uses convection to circulate the water.

If Giulia is cycling an electric water pump to control temperature and has no valve in the water system, it seems likely that when engine load is small and air is cool convection will keep the coolant colder than the target temperature. Is there any regulation in the coolant-oil heat exchanger?

Perhaps some shutters on the front grill are needed to control this?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts