Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Frustrating Giulia Ti Saga. I hope there is a lesson here.

It's a long story, that started in this thread: http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...es-problems/6362-transmission-problems-2.html

Rather than hijack that thread, I started a new one.

Once I picked the car up, there were two major problems...a blown amplifier and an engine stumble, hesitation, or bucking on acceleration at low RPMs, henceforth "stumble."

Here are the symptoms of the stumble:

It only happens once car is warmed up.
It only happens at low RPMs, from 1200-1800.
It only happens after you have taken your foot off the accelerator and then resume accelerating, and then usually when you accelerate gradually, i.e. normal.
It happens in Automatic or Manual mode.
It even happens if you are in cruise control, tap the brakes or hit cancel, let the revs fall to about 1400, and then hit "resume."
Once the revs are up, it runs well.
It has happened in every gear from 4-8.
It happens with every driver, not just me.

Now, the timeline.

06 Mar: Buy and pick up the Giulia. Everything seems in order. Love the car.
15 Mar: Blown amplifier due to water intrusion. I notice the engine stumbling for first time. Schedule appointment for 21 Mar.
18 Mar: Drive car all day, and engine continues to stumble.
21 Mar: Drop car off for amplifier and engine. Amplifier ordered. Receive loaner car, a Fiat 500X.
23 Mar: Call Alfa Premium Care to set up a case.
05 Apr: Can't find problem with engine, but amplifier is received.and installed. Updated software. Pick up my car. 15 days in shop. Engine still stumbles.
19 Apr: Car continues to stumble, so I make another appointment.
24 Apr: Drop the car off in the evening. They think it's the transmission, so will try a reset. No loaner available.
26 Apr: Transmission reset complete. I take a test drive with the tech, and the engine still stumbles.
27 Apr - today: They have been "diagnosing" the problem for the last 22 days and counting, and are no closer to a solution. The car has been in the shop for 25 consecutive days.

From 24 Mar until 17 May, I received seven updates from Alfa, and they each said about the same thing, "Following up with you as I have spoke with the dealership who advised that they are still currently working with tech support to further diagnose your vehicle."

On the 17th of May, my patience finally wore out. I called Alfa and asked that they make it right: either fix my car, or give me a replacement. Then, on 18 May, an ALFA field tech advisor was at the dealership looking at my car. He is coming back on 19 May.

So far, they've "checked for misfires, fuel pressure, software, pedal position sensor performance, throttle body performance, inspected engine mounts, and calibrated all of the transmission adaptives. Tech support is still looking into this issue."

In total, I've owned the car 75 days. It's been in my possession 35 days, and in the shop 40 days.

So, what's the lesson? Escalate things sooner rather than later. Any other takeaways? Advice?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Very sorry to hear your story!

These cars have become soooo sophisticated in digital controls and related. I had some odd issues once with an Audi product right after purchase and I kept telling them the engine wiring harness needs replacement. After 5 major items were replaced by the Dealership (working with Audi USA) they FINALLY replaced the engine wiring harness and all was well....that corrected all the issues.

I traded in that car one month after all was fixed and moved on to a different car.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
I've experience something similar.

When slowing down to almost almost a full stop i say less then 5 mph then accelerate, I sometimes get a jerky vibration feeling from the transmission.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Same exact issue with my TI Q4 as described in the OP. Following this closely!!

I hope they know and understand that this issue is not unique to you.

Interesting thought about engine wiring harness. My thoughts immediately went to torque converter/TCM.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Nope you did exactly what you needed to do and smart of you to do it so quickly.
The only thing(s) I would add perhaps is that you try and reach out to someone outside of Alfa-Care. I had direct contact with the regional Alfa Romeo rep for NY. A Dan Jacobson and he was 100% instrumental in solving my initial issue that has been documented on the board...
the second, in my case, was also a question of the dealer service. My Quad was obviously a bit more than they could handle. Car as brought to a dedicated Alfa Romeo, Ferrari Maser dealer....issue was addressed and corrected in 1 day.
Just a point of reference/fact.
Best of Luck
M

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just told by a service advisor that there was software update in the last month involving the ECM which might address this. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,762 Posts
I've experience something similar.

When slowing down to almost almost a full stop i say less then 5 mph then accelerate, I sometimes get a jerky vibration feeling from the transmission.
i experienced this same thing at various times intermittently and couldnt establish what was causing the loss of power sensation, whether it was fuel related or gear related, injectors, or what
the last time it happened it definitely made me think it was gear related from the actual feel, almost like it was trying to take off in 4th gear or something
possibly hasnt downshifted quick enough or not expecting an acceleration remains in the higher gear
have just completed 4000klms and can safely say that now that the ECU has actually learned from my driving habits its not as frequent

ok, need to tell you why i believe this ...

i reverse from my driveway and can choose to go left which is a downhill run to an intersection to go one way or if i go right, its a quicker way to the highway but involves a short distance of little dipper type terrain

driveway is on a hill, so the first task the engine and gearbox are subjected to is a cold rev up a slight hill for 20 metres, call that M1, then a dip for 30 metres call that M2, until i have to brake and twist to make a narrow 90 degree right hand turn at a narrow street with parked cars, whilst rolling (M3) ... now coming up is where i would normally get this laggy, loss of power sensation as i now do a 5 metre short climb to the next left hand zig zag corner which is on a crest of a hill and leads to another downhill run (M4)

so between M3 and M4 i would get a lag and need to rev harder ... until recently, it doesnt happen anymore, between M3 an M4 now that i believe the ECU has learned my rev up, slow down, brake, rev up in such short distances (and calculated the fuel im burning doing so) it has mapped my habits to the next best fuel efficient method and changed down quicker and given me a better gear to accelerate out of ...is just my theory btw

my previous car doing the same daily manoeuvres using a DVT dual clutch gearbox would fail it every single time and never gave me anything between M3 and M4 other than hesitation

its just my theory based on what i have been told about how these gearboxes "learn" your habits and am willing to bet that if my ECU was ever reset i would get hesitation between M3 and M4 again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope you did exactly what you needed to do and smart of you to do it so quickly.
The only thing(s) I would add perhaps is that you try and reach out to someone outside of Alfa-Care. I had direct contact with the regional Alfa Romeo rep for NY. A Dan Jacobson and he was 100% instrumental in solving my initial issue that has been documented on the board...
the second, in my case, was also a question of the dealer service. My Quad was obviously a bit more than they could handle. Car as brought to a dedicated Alfa Romeo, Ferrari Maser dealer....issue was addressed and corrected in 1 day.
Just a point of reference/fact.
Best of Luck
M
MDriver, how did you get the regional Alfa Romeo rep's contact info?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
MDriver, how did you get the regional Alfa Romeo rep's contact info?
His name was given to me by Alfa-Care as they where in contact with him....sort of a chain of command structure:confused: perhaps..
He was the one who directed everything from expediting the part from Italy to getting me to a new dealer for the service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any updates or is your car still in the shop?
Car is still in the shop, and they can't figure out what's wrong.

On a positive note, they are finally taking care of me from a customer service standpoint. My best advice is to elevate sooner rather than later, especially at your dealer. Your dealer can get things done if the right people know about the problems.

The Alfa Care case manager was less than helpful, as described in some other posts in this forum. I got the same story from them every time, "Car is being diagnosed." She couldn't tell me anything specific. She wouldn't give me any information about her boss, the regional technical rep, or even define an unacceptable amount of time in the shop for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve had a similar problem with my Giulia Ti Q4. The car will seem to lose power momentarily in lower gears and with part throttle. The car sometimes “stutters” when it seems that the transmission cannot determine which gear to select; the phenomenon can last from a few seconds to as long at 15 seconds. Other times, the car will seem to lose power momentarily under similar conditions. It’s a real tragedy because the car has been otherwise flawless and a true joy to drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shop finally called...an Alfa engineer was there for the past two days. he replaced the fuel injectors, and the problems disappeared.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Shop finally called...an Alfa engineer was there for the past two days. he replaced the fuel injectors, and the problems disappeared.
That sounds like a big job! It would be insane if a lot of us were already having fuel injector issues. Sounds a bit concerning. Another guy with the transmission thread but same problem mentioned that his issue was fixed thru updates (Joe)...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that my car has the same issue regarding acceleration. I figured I'd get on it a little bit from 50-80mph and the engine is stumbling upon acceleration. Nothing smooth from acceleration hard that's for sure. I have a case open with Alfa and I hope they have an engineer look at the car before I go postal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that my car has the same issue regarding acceleration. I figured I'd get on it a little bit from 50-80mph and the engine is stumbling upon acceleration. Nothing smooth from acceleration hard that's for sure. I have a case open with Alfa and I hope they have an engineer look at the car before I go postal.
Did you ever find a solution?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes the engine runs better now they had an RRT to resolve the issue. However there is some things that need to be addressed

1 - 20 of 36 Posts