Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Might be an effort to create a synthetic experience of a combustion power unit when the world is with electric drive... where turbo lag, rpm power band, etc in addition of sound are simulated ...
There is no reason to simulate turbo lag--just give instant acceleration and call it simulated supercharger.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Too late...
Porsche apparently has (had?) some scheme to put resonators inside the passenger compartment to amplify the engine noise. I'm not sure if that should count as fake noise or not, but it is an alternative to electronics that seems less offensive.
My previous car, a 2017 Cadillac CTS-V, amplified the natural engine sound through the speakers, but at least it was its own engine noise. I didn't notice anything artificial, or even that sound was coming from the speakers, although this description in a review thinks it sounded digitized. I now have a 2019 Giulia Quadrifoglio, and I only seem to hear mild engine noise and sound from the outside exhaust when the turbochargers burble. Is this new synthetic engine sound being applied to the 2020 QV also?

You’d think a 600-plus horsepower, supercharged V-8 would be more than capable of providing enough visceral engine and exhaust noise to not need electronically augmented engine sounds, like turbocharged competitors have, but apparently you’d be wrong. The Cadillac CTS-V electronically augments engine noise, piping the natural sound of the engine through the stereo, but it clearly sounds digitized. How is it possible that a 640-hp V-8 needs help sounding good?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Most owners of battery powered vehicles I’ve encountered seem to think the batteries generate the power, not just store it. That‘s why they believe it’s clean energy.
It's cleaner in their immediate environment--no gas or exhaust fumes, so out of sight out of mind. The theory is that electric power plants produce less pollution for the amount of power they produce, whether it be from natural gas, nuclear, hydroelectric, or augmented by solar or wind--but that's only valid in the United States which only has 15 coal powered electric plants. The rest of the world has thousands and are building more, especially China and India. And ethanol is a boondoggle that produces more pollution in its production than it saves in so called clean renewable energy, and it's not good for regular engines either.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, our '76 Fiat Spider 1600 doesn't have A/C, so there's that, but also, it doesn't seem that would do much to mitigate the discomfort of the sun blazing down, and it robs the car of power!
I thought the AC worked off the battery nowadays, so it would have no effect on the engine itself as the generator is always working anyway.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Why the hell would we need "fake" engine sounds into the passenger compartment? Can't we get enough natural sound without paying money to have it amplified?
I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust on my car..I think it sounds wonderful so I certainly have no need for any "fake" engine sounds..I guess the engineers thought someone did though....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I thought the AC worked off the battery nowadays, so it would have no effect on the engine itself as the generator is always working anyway.
A lot of FCA vehicles have electric compressors... they need to in order for the AC to continue to work during a stop start event. Im sure other manufacturers also have vehicles with electric AC..

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's cleaner in their immediate environment--no gas or exhaust fumes, so out of sight out of mind. The theory is that electric power plants produce less pollution for the amount of power they produce, whether it be from natural gas, nuclear, hydroelectric, or augmented by solar or wind--but that's only valid in the United States which only has 15 coal powered electric plants. The rest of the world has thousands and are building more, especially China and India. And ethanol is a boondoggle that produces more pollution in its production than it saves in so called clean renewable energy, and it's not good for regular engines either.

The coal fired power plant is a lot more efficient, thus less CO2, than an internal combustion engine, And since the coal plants have SCRs for NOx (kinda like a catalytic converters On a car), ESPs for Particulate, and scrubbers for SO2 removal, they are surprisingly clean. And the US operates hundreds of coal fired boilers for power production. Over 25% of electricity generated in the US is from a coal power plant, so I have no idea where you got only 15 coal fired power plants. Duke Energy alone has 11 large coal plants.

And China has come a long way to switch to natural gas fired combined cycle plants in an effort to address air pollution, but still have a lot of coal generation. India needs to address their coal usage Big time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
And the battery is fed by the alternator, I would think the more power the alternator needs to produce the more resistance it has on your engine trying to turn it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
EVs currently have many drawbacks (cost, range, charging infrastructure) but efficiency relative to ICE vehicles is not one of them. Even if you're charging them from a power plant that burns tires and baby seals for fuel, there is still a tremendous net energy efficiency improvement over the typical 100,000+ mile vehicle lifetime. Just saying "EVs are bad because coal" is like saying "vegetables are bad because of pesticides".

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You’d think a 600-plus horsepower, supercharged V-8 would be more than capable of providing enough visceral engine and exhaust noise to not need electronically augmented engine sounds, like turbocharged competitors have, but apparently you’d be wrong. The Cadillac CTS-V electronically augments engine noise, piping the natural sound of the engine through the stereo, but it clearly sounds digitized. How is it possible that a 640-hp V-8 needs help sounding good?
Because modern cars are more efficient in converting energy to motion. A 100% efficient motor (physically impossible) would make no sound at all. Not very romantic I know.
Today’s gasoline engines are at about 25% efficiency, the remaining 75% is energy wasted in heat, sound and other stuff. But that 25% keeps growing thus the sound keeps getting reduced.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
EVs currently have many drawbacks (cost, range, charging infrastructure) but efficiency relative to ICE vehicles is not one of them. Even if you're charging them from a power plant that burns tires and baby seals for fuel, there is still a tremendous net energy efficiency improvement over the typical 100,000+ mile vehicle lifetime. Just saying "EVs are bad because coal" is like saying "vegetables are bad because of pesticides".
Don't forget battery manufacturing, which is energy intensive and environmentally unfriendly (so maybe a wash with petroleum).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Might be an effort to create a synthetic experience of a combustion power unit when the world is with electric drive... where turbo lag, rpm power band, etc in addition of sound are simulated ...

And we will come full circle yet again.. At which point our [great] grand kids will be on these forums arguing about the raw purity and organic experience the "original" EV's had.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
The coal fired power plant is a lot more efficient, thus less CO2, than an internal combustion engine, And since the coal plants have SCRs for NOx (kinda like a catalytic converters On a car), ESPs for Particulate, and scrubbers for SO2 removal, they are surprisingly clean. And the US operates hundreds of coal fired boilers for power production. Over 25% of electricity generated in the US is from a coal power plant, so I have no idea where you got only 15 coal fired power plants. Duke Energy alone has 11 large coal plants.

And China has come a long way to switch to natural gas fired combined cycle plants in an effort to address air pollution, but still have a lot of coal generation. India needs to address their coal usage Big time.
While a coal fired power plant is more energy efficient than an ICE, coal emits far more CO2 per unit of energy than gasoline. This causes the electric car that is powered by coal-electricity to emit somewhat more CO2 than a decent ICE car. When the electricity is sourced almost any other way, the electric car will yield less CO2 emissions and often a lot less CO2 emissions.

Modern Electric power plants are typically about 45% efficient (some are better, old plants may be worse). Modern gasoline ICEs are 20-25% efficient at full throttle, but that drops off substantially when the throttle is reduced. Note that electric cars are approximately 70-80% efficient from power plant to propulsion with this efficiency being at partial throttle and 0.7*45% = 32%. Thus we get 32% for the typical electric car and "substantially less" than 25% for the typical ICE.

Move off the road and onto a race track and then the ICE looks better relative to the electric car as the electric car's batteries and wiring get hot and inefficient, while the ICE is running at peak efficiency. Even under this condition I think the electric car is more energy efficient (especially if helped by regenerative braking and being compared to a non-hybrid ICE), but the gap is narrowed to something pretty small.

At one time my house in Walker California was getting coal powered electricity from Nevada. I do not know if that is the case any more since Nevada is converting their grid to green sources.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
There is no reason to simulate turbo lag.
The sticky secondaries (remember those?) on my Oldsmobile Cutlass provided a reasonable facsimile forty years ago.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most owners of battery powered vehicles I’ve encountered seem to think the batteries generate the power, not just store it. That‘s why they believe it’s clean energy.
In South Africa 90%+ of our electricity is produced by coal-fired power stations. This means that, in our country, an electric car, at the end of the day, produces more CO2 than a petrol-driven car.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
In South Africa 90%+ of our electricity is produced by coal-fired power stations. This means that, in our country, an electric car, at the end of the day, produces more CO2 than a petrol-driven car.
If you can rely on it.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts