Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Shouldn't all electric cars sound like coal-fired power plants?
Most owners of battery powered vehicles I’ve encountered seem to think the batteries generate the power, not just store it. That‘s why they believe it’s clean energy.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Most owners of battery powered vehicles I’ve encountered seem to think the batteries generate the power, not just store it. That‘s why they believe it’s clean energy.
:rolleyes: Even fuel cell powered vehicles need to get hydrogen from some energy-consuming source.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
May I safely assume you're one of those warm-weather-only convertible folks? I have no qualms about blasting the heat with the top down.
My windows are sealed until it’s at least 60 outside I guess I never tried that.. feels counterintuitive to heat and cool the cabin at the same time

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
:rolleyes: Even fuel cell powered vehicles need to get hydrogen from some energy-consuming source.
Just try to convince a Tesla owner. Not to mention the energy consumed to produce the batteries, and ultimately the environmental impact to dispose of them.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Just try to convince a Tesla owner. Not to mention the energy consumed to produce the batteries, and ultimately the environmental impact to dispose of them.
I can't resist getting political here. What you describe is like arguing with a Bernie supporter about the costs of universal healthcare and "free" college.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
May I safely assume you're one of those warm-weather-only convertible folks? I have no qualms about blasting the heat with the top down.
Man, that's the best way to drive a convertible, IMO. I love Michigan fall convertible driving, bundled up, hat pulled snug, heat blasting...the best! I hate getting sun-blasted and roasted under a summer sun, but summer nights and crisp, fall days are great.

·
Registered
785 Posts
When I got my 17yo to drive a brand new miata from houston back home in NJ, temperatures dropped as we moved north. We had the top down and the heat blasting till it reached about 38, then we had to close it up!
Man, that's the best way to drive a convertible, IMO. I love Michigan fall convertible driving, bundled up, hat pulled snug, heat blasting...the best! I hate getting sun-blasted and roasted under a summer sun, but summer nights and crisp, fall days are great.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
When I got my 17yo to drive a brand new Miata from Houston back home to NJ, temperatures dropped as we moved north. We had the top down and the heat blasting till it reached about 38, then we had to close it up!
That's when the hat goes on. My worry then is cold weather tire performance.

Equal time: A/C on with top down on hot days?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have photos of a couple of January 1st when the temperature was warn enough to put the roof down on my 3 series convertibles with all 4 of us in there... the part I regret now is taking pictures like a fool... the rest of it, absolutely epic.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Equal time: A/C on with top down on hot days?
Well, our '76 Fiat Spider 1600 doesn't have A/C, so there's that, but also, it doesn't seem that would do much to mitigate the discomfort of the sun blazing down, and it robs the car of power!

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Rent a convertible in Hawaii, then drive with the top down and AC blasting.

After years of ruining my hearing with loud noises I avoid them now and just keep the windows closed.

Some parts of the country actually have "green" electric power, like Santa Clara and Bridgeport California. The former uses a mix of geothermal, wind and solar while the later uses geothermal exclusively (there are benefits to living near a huge volcano). How truly green that makes the electric car is unclear, since the car increases the power draw on the grid and at least in Santa Clara the green power sources are maxed out. However, even when electricity is generated by natural gas the CO2 and other emissions are much smaller for a Tesla versus a typical ICE. For coal fired electricity, not so much.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Rent a convertible in Hawaii, then drive with the top down and AC blasting.
Don't forget the under the waterfalls part.
After years of ruining my hearing with loud noises I avoid them now and just keep the windows closed.
Well, if your hearing is truly ruined no precautions will restore it.
I SAID IF YOUR HEARING IS TRULY RUINED, NO PRECAUTIONS WILL RESTORE IT.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can't resist getting political here. What you describe is like arguing with a Bernie supporter about the costs of universal healthcare and "free" college.
If I was 55K grand in school debt you but your arse I'd vote Bernie 😀

TBH, I just want an option that makes my car sound like a private jet😎

or a fire truck.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Don't forget the under the waterfalls part.
Well, if your hearing is truly ruined no precautions will restore it.
I SAID IF YOUR HEARING IS TRULY RUINED, NO PRECAUTIONS WILL RESTORE IT.
Like a frayed rope, it takes only a little extra damage to a damaged ear before it completely fails.

Shouting is not helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know there was some discussion on how the 2020 Giulia sounded while driving and speculation about it being "fake sound"nutra

Well, speculate no more....

so technically not fake, but just as disappointing to me
Why the hell would we need "fake" engine sounds into the passenger compartment? Can't we get enough natural sound without paying money to have it amplified?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts