Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was some discussion on how the 2020 Giulia sounded while driving and speculation about it being "fake sound"

Well, speculate no more....

Theory of Operation
The Engine Sound Enhancement Module (ESEM) / (ANC) transmits a tuning sound through the Center I/P Speaker, to reproduce the engine sound in the passenger compartment. The synthesized sound uses engine noise, vehicle speed, engine torque and accelerator position to reproduce the most correct sound in the passenger compartment to enhance the driving experience. The sound is processed according to the driving mode selector position. The system consists of a Shaker Microphone, the ESEM and the Center I/P Speaker.

The Shaker Microphone is a magnetic-dynamic transducer located on the engine intake manifold. It picks up intake air vibrations and translates them into electric pulses, which are sent to the ESEM.

The ESEM receives data from the microphone; then processes, amplifies, and sends the audio signal to the Center I/P Speaker. The ESEM also receives information about engine load, engine rpm and vehicle speed from the BCM. The sound is projected by the speaker located in the center of the dashboard. The ESEM receives power from the rear PDC.

The Center I/P Speaker is connected to the ESEM instead of the amplifier. There are two types of speakers for the ESEM: basic and top sound system level. The Center I/P Speaker is present in both sound systems and is used for the ESEM only, regardless of the sound system level (basic or top).
so technically not fake, but just as disappointing to me

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,597 Posts
Well “synthesized sound” seems technically fake to me, but that’s where we are, seeking to balance community needs and noise pollution on one hand, and traditions and personal desires on the other, so I suppose synthesized, fake exhaust sound is a good compromise. I mean, at least it’s not some pre-recorded backing track from a GT40 at Daytona, right?

Also, it takes me back to my youth, and my first motorized vehicle, an electric police motorbike that had fake revving sounds which delighted me so much as a young child. Alfa are bringing back those youthful vibes!

(I’m just trying to be positive here)

I wonder can the sound be turned off for those who add real exhaust sound?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I recently drove a late 2019 model Ti in the UK and there appeared to be a pronounced intake sound, not in a good way, so it may be the synthesised sound after all.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well “synthesized sound” seems technically fake to me, but that’s where we are, seeking to balance community needs and noise pollution on one hand, and traditions and personal desires on the other, so I suppose synthesized, fake exhaust sound is a good compromise.
Not to mention the consumer demand to have ever "quieter cars" that have no road noise, no external environment noise, etc. I remember int he 90's when Lexus and Mercedes where advertising how quiet those cars where with commercials of jackhammers and screaming babies outside and then rolling up the windows and is was quiet inside. Compared to the cars at the time those cars where quiet as tombs. Compared to the average car now days those cars are noisy.

Any-who, if you make it so the car blocks out all exterior noise but demand engine noise inside, there is only one possible solution.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Turning off the fake engine sound was the first modification I made to my MK7 GTI. Only turned it back on to sell the car, which it definitely did help with.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,737 Posts
So much for mechanical purity. All the more reason to get that Fiat Spider.

I remember a fake commercial for Lexus or some other luxury brand, perhaps on SNL.
The driver couldn't hear a fire truck or ambulance siren and ended up getting ticket for
not yielding. Half the people watching were probably rooting for them to get clobbered.
I know I was.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well the Excrement Simulation Experience Module isn't something I want; I don't care how you try and spin it. I like the real world; I don't want to live in a contrived simulation.

What we're starting to see is what happens when a pure vision starts to get modified to be popular. I like the original steering wheel better than the new one; the original looks more like a sports wheel and does a great job of invoking the heritage of the classic sports cars. I like the walnut cover I have over the cup holders in the center console; it just looks more elegant than two gaping holes. I rarely put drinks in my car, so more often than not the cover is closed and I like that look. Autonomous driving? It's no driving at all; you're just a passenger who's being completely denied the joys of the experience and responsibility of controlling a powerful machine, that in a real sense is an extension of you, and you're an extension of it at that moment. If you're just sitting in it staring at your phone, you're an extension of nothing; just a leaf being carried along in the current. Don't need it, don't want it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Might be an effort to create a synthetic experience of a combustion power unit when the world is with electric drive... where turbo lag, rpm power band, etc in addition of sound are simulated ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well “synthesized sound” seems technically fake to me, but that’s where we are, seeking to balance community needs and noise pollution on one hand, and traditions and personal desires on the other, so I suppose synthesized, fake exhaust sound is a good compromise. I mean, at least it’s not some pre-recorded backing track from a GT40 at Daytona, right?

Also, it takes me back to my youth, and my first motorized vehicle, an electric police motorbike that had fake revving sounds which delighted me so much as a young child. Alfa are bringing back those youthful vibes!

(I’m just trying to be positive here)

I wonder can the sound be turned off for those who add real exhaust sound?
Your last point about disabling it for aftermarket exhaust is a very good point. I wonder if you'd have to do a "bypass" of some sort, similar to how you get the race mode exhaust in the QV.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Are you saying a future electric car could fake a turbo lag? :D
Might be an effort to create a synthetic experience of a combustion power unit when the world is with electric drive... where turbo lag, rpm power band, etc in addition of sound are simulated ...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is this ESEM something new for 2020 model year? That would make a lot of sense, since there has been so much talk and complaints about the Giulia exhaust sound (or lack of it in the cabin). AR must have been listening (wa wa wa).

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Exactly ;) once experience is synthesized, the possibility is endless. Fancy driving a DB4? Or the 12 cylinder f1s ;) sample different engines with touchscreen swipes. ;)
Yes, your Tesla can imitate a whoopie cushion!
Is this ESEM something new for 2020 model year? That would make a lot of sense, since there has been so much talk and complaints about the Giulia exhaust sound (or lack of it in the cabin). AR must have been listening (wa wa wa).
Yeah, but not listening to our "no artificial flavors" preference.

Reactions: Eagle7

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Your last point about disabling it for aftermarket exhaust is a very good point. I wonder if you'd have to do a "bypass" of some sort, similar to how you get the race mode exhaust in the QV.

Easy, just unplug the microphone in the engine bay. I think I’d leave it personally. It’s like having the windows open! Which 9 months out of 12 I can’t have because it’s too cold.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Too late...
New Nissan Leaf goes "vroom-vroom". They even play this sound in their ads. This started after complaints about pedestrians getting run over by silent cars.

Porsche apparently has (had?) some scheme to put resonators inside the passenger compartment to amplify the engine noise. I'm not sure if that should count as fake noise or not, but it is an alternative to electronics that seems less offensive.

·
Registered
452 Posts
fake sound is nothing new. When I was a kid, I used clothes pins to attach playing cards to "roar" when I rode my bike. Funny, isn't it, how much an appropriate sound of an engine's power is so appealing to many of us. Which is why my former GT3 had race pipes, my Cobra's side-pipes unmuffled (so I drove with ear plugs), and my Quad has the Forza controller.

NV

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
It’s like having the windows open! Which 9 months out of 12 I can’t have because it’s too cold.
May I safely assume you're one of those warm-weather-only convertible folks? I have no qualms about blasting the heat with the top down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
May I safely assume you're one of those warm-weather-only convertible folks? I have no qualms about blasting the heat with the top down.
Agreed, even now I crack the sunroof to vent much off the time, just to listen to my centerline exhaust. It kinda helps keep the car temp regulated a bit for me anyway.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts