Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2018 giulia 2.0L with 33k miles. own it since new.

So this is what happened, first time 2 month ago, and the second time yesterday -

I started the engine in the morning, the engine is shaking hard (sounds like it's working on 3 cylinders), smell of fuel, the check engine light comes on + start and stop unavailable + it switched automatically from dynamic to normal.
I turned the engine off, tried again, same thing, shaking hard, check engine light blinking.
Turned the engine off, waited 5 minutes, then it starts perfectly fine, the engine works fine, the car drives as usual.
The check engine light is still on, only after 5-6 starts cycles it goes away.

As I've said before, it happened only two times, 2 months ago and yesterday.

I went to the dealer today, they connected the computer, and it said there was a problem with the multiair.

They suggested to do flushing to the engine, to see if it helps before we replace the multiair (which is super expensive).

Did anyone hear about this problem?
Should I do the flushing?
Should I replace the multiair? Or wait to see if it happens again?
Any other ideas??

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Except for the shaking, the other electronic symptoms point towards the battery.

Is it still the original? If so, then 5 years is probably the outer limit of its life. My original lasted less than 3 years.

I'd definitely have that checked before you do anything else.

Fuel smell is worrying and may point to something else.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
did the dealer look up codes for you? did you have a recent oil change, and when you review oil level (Car>Oil Level) you see it nearly at the top?

If codes include something like these:
Azure Rectangle Font Parallel Technology

possibly for cylinders besides 2, you may have bubbles in the UniAir actuation system from a recent oil change. I had a bout of this, and here's what I did:

• Immediately shut car off.
  • Restart and raise idle to 1,500-2,000. It will be rough, but after 2 mins or so, when the oil temp shows one bar, shut off and restart. It usually restarts nicely, except with CEL and limp mode. (if it restarts and runs rough, get with dealer)
  • Get your OBD2 code tool and clear codes. Restart a couple of times and confirm no CEL, not rough and no limp mode (D mode will select)

Had dealer drain 1/2 quart of oil, and problem disappeared. After service watch out for overfilled oil. I have only rarerly had the problem (about once every 7,000 miles) and this shows Cyl 2 misfires, every time, and the cure always works.

Dealership acknowledged in an "overfilled oil TSB" that it can produce this problem.

If the problem is chronic, certainly consider Multi-air service/repair.

Knowing Codes is your your friend. If you don't have a code reader app/Bluetooth dongle, it should be basic AR owner tools for all. I use OBD Fusion on iOS with an inexpensive ELM327 OBD2 dongle. The forum has threads on this.

Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,923 Posts
Contaminated oil causing a multi-air malfunction seems plausible. I do not know how likely it is to be correct. You wouldn't happen to have a Mobil 1 synthetic media oil filter?
Vermin messing with your ignition wiring is another possibility. Do you park the car outside?
A loose electrical connector is yet another possibility. It is easy enough to check the connectors on the top of the PCM.

·
Registered
847 Posts
there was engine ECU update to help with cold temperatures start. ask your dealer about it.

still from time to time you'll get hard shaking during winter times - this is just how direct injection petrol engines work. you can't do much about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts