Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Removed the unit and never had the issue again.

However, there is a slight possibility that the issue could be a compatibility problem between the pedalbooster and a piggyback tune. Do you have a piggyback installed too?
I’m glad you haven’t had any problems, and if you only had it on for a very short while when the problem occurred, then you could be fairly assured of the cause/effect relationship. I’ve been running the GoPedal for 5 years, so just removing it would be no assurance of a fix at all.

Regarding an engine tuner, no, I’ve not one installed right now; I took it off for a service call and didn’t put it back on yet. But in addition to both tuners being from the same producer, Madness, I did run the GoPedal with Maxpower for +4 years together, so incompatibility could not be the problem in any case.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I only had it installed for about 10 days. Ok found my old email that I sent out to the manufacturer. This is more accurate description of what happened to me.

I'm at a complete stop. Ready to go and hit the gas pedal. I hear the engine revving super loud as if I'm flooring it. So I release the pedal, engine keeps revving for a second or two, but car stops and pushes me back into my seat. This happened 4 times in succession.

What I'm thinking is the pedal unit sent the signal to the engine as if i'm flooring it, but a safety feature or just not having the pedal depressed kept me from plowing everyone in front of me. The sensation was like moving 3-5 feet forward then hitting the park button and engine kept revving. Only way I got it to stop was putting in auto, was in manual.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey all,

A weird problem popped up this weekend as I neared the end of a 5hr drive down to Ohio. I’d been cruising along a two-lane at about 55mph when I came to stop sign. When I was ready to proceed, I pushed the throttle pedal and the engine didn’t respond. I looked down and saw the Service Electronic Throttle warning and that the engine was still running, just at idle or near idle speed. With cars behind me, I gave it full throttle and crept my way to the shoulder.

I shut down the car and restarted it; it fired right up, no MILs. However, when I tapped the throttle— still in Park— the revs continued to build after I lifted my foot. I waited a sec as they went up to 3k, at which point I turned the car off.

Confused, I pulled my OBD reader; no active or stored codes. Weird.

I decided to restart the engine and got the same raising revs issue when blipping the gas in Park. The revs built quickly with no sign of letup, so I shut the car down at about 3k rpm again.

Being in the boonies near the WV and KY borders of OH, I figured since it idled normally at startup, that I’d try to select Drive before hitting the gas, and to my surprise I was able to then give it gas, drive a few feet, then brake to a stop without the revs building. I decided to carry on the few miles to my destination, and arrived there without problem, however, when I put it in Park, the revs ran loose again.

I left the car sit for two days, figuring I would try to drive the nearly 2hrs towards Cincinnati, where there’s a dealer, and whether I made it or not, I’d be closer to the dealer and to civilization. Well, when we pulled out this morning, the car seemed fine and I decided to head towards Dayton instead, because it was more on the way home.

I wound up driving nonstop 4.5hrs, almost the entire way back, without any sign of trouble. When I did stop for gas, no problem. When I got to town, I stopped at the bank ATM and when I put it in Park, revs surged.

So I’m home, and planning to call the dealership for an appointment tomorrow, but I wonder if anyone has any idea what would cause such behavior? I do have an AFE airbox and dry cone filter on it, but this seems an electronic issue, particlarly considering also how the throttle MIL vanished without a trace. Thoughts?
Its the go pedal!!! I had that exact same issue. I took it off and the problem went away. I called Madness and they replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Its the go pedal!!! I had that exact same issue. I took it off and the problem went away. I called Madness and they replaced under warranty.
How did you determine it was the Go Pedal? I’d like to be able to do that without having to do a 4.5hrs drive…

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just to give a little update, I’ve been driving around as usual (with GP+ in Sport) the past three days without any issues, so it’s increasingly looking like this is some kind of computer anomoly related to the conditions of the long drives, rather than some semi-persistent component malfunction.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Removed the unit and never had the issue again.

However, there is a slight possibility that the issue could be a compatibility problem between the pedalbooster and a piggyback tune. Do you have a piggyback installed too?
A couple of years ago I had a similar but opposite problem on my Fiat 500 X it had a GOPedal on it not the current or most current version but the one that was available in 2018 that was the Bluetooth version and all of a sudden my engine would barely move it automatically shifted to valet mode and the car had to limp home additionally I couldn’t turn it off using my iPhone however when I brought my iPad out and reset everything turned it off turned it back on everything worked fine and I never had the problem again however I also couldn’t use the software on my iPhone I had to delete it and re-download it something went wonky with the software well I love the GOPedal on my Julia and have no plan on taking it off anytime you mess with the electronics on some thing like a drive by wire shit happens

·
Registered
304 Posts
How did you determine it was the Go Pedal? I’d like to be able to do that without having to do a 4.5hrs drive…
Apologies for delay getting back to you. I determined it was the Go Pedal by turning it off in the app. As soon as I did that the RPMS returned to normal. Call Madness and they replaced.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Apologies for delay getting back to you. I determined it was the Go Pedal by turning it off in the app. As soon as I did that the RPMS returned to normal. Call Madness and they replaced.
Thanks. If I could get the issue to recur, I’d try that, but it still hasn’t returned and I’ve been running the GoPedal just as I have for the past 5 years, so I’d be surprised if it was the cause, but it seems “best practice” to check.

Reactions: Tmkopp
21 - 31 of 31 Posts