Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped off my car 2 days ago at my local dealer for an engine knock. My car had an oil pump failure at 33k and they suspected potential bad repair. Redid that and the sound still persisted. They said it was in the bottom end and awaited further tech support in which Alfa simply approved new long block replacement. So going back, a week after the pump repair I noticed a small engine rattle between 1-2k rpm under throttle tip in. Full throttle or above 2k noise would go away. Was more evident after long/ hard driving. Never at start up or even under heavy load. Kept driving the car for 17k miles like that (with JB4 to boot) until my last hundred miles of warranty. At first they said it was my cracked egr pipe which they did not cover. Personally fixed that (engine rattle/ knock persisted) and now they said engine getting replaced. Out of curiosity has anybody have any insight what could have been the problem? Could it have been starved of oil when pump failed? Manufacturing defect ? Had pretty bad luck with the car overall but I love it more than ever but I’m really hoping the oil pump and engine last a bit longer especially with no additional warranty. Engine always ran and performed great
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Most likely misdiagnosed from the beginning and when the oil pump grenaded metal shavings were sent through the engine. The damaged components didn't fail until 17k later it seems. Just FYI, always change oil at 4-5k miles. Do them yourself if you can.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely misdiagnosed from the beginning and when the oil pump grenaded metal shavings were sent through the engine. The damaged components didn't fail until 17k later it seems. Just FYI, always change oil at 4-5k miles. Do them yourself if you can.
oil pump gear sprocket bolt backed off . Pump wasn’t driven car instantly died. I’ve changed my oil 3x after the repair. A bit overkill but it’s my everyday car and doubles as my fun canyon/ track car

·
Registered
2022 Giulia Veloce Q4
140 Posts
Changing the oil every day won’t help the oil pump sproket bolt backing out.

• Haha
Reactions: Emozine

·
Registered
516 Posts
I dropped off my car 2 days ago at my local dealer for an engine knock. My car had an oil pump failure at 33k and they suspected potential bad repair. Redid that and the sound still persisted. They said it was in the bottom end and awaited further tech support in which Alfa simply approved new long block replacement. So going back, a week after the pump repair I noticed a small engine rattle between 1-2k rpm under throttle tip in. Full throttle or above 2k noise would go away. Was more evident after long/ hard driving. Never at start up or even under heavy load. Kept driving the car for 17k miles like that (with JB4 to boot) until my last hundred miles of warranty. At first they said it was my cracked egr pipe which they did not cover. Personally fixed that (engine rattle/ knock persisted) and now they said engine getting replaced. Out of curiosity has anybody have any insight what could have been the problem? Could it have been starved of oil when pump failed? Manufacturing defect ? Had pretty bad luck with the car overall but I love it more than ever but I’m really hoping the oil pump and engine last a bit longer especially with no additional warranty. Engine always ran and performed great View attachment 128619
What year is your car?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,774 Posts
Maybe when the oil pressure dropped it damaged components?
The multiair2 engine is a bit complicated in this regard. No oil pressure = no intake valve operation = engine will not run. Of course if the engine is already running when the oil pressure stops, the engine may keep turning for a while.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The multiair2 engine is a bit complicated in this regard. No oil pressure = no intake valve operation = engine will not run. Of course if the engine is already running when the oil pressure stops, the engine may keep turning for a while.
That’s my understanding. Initially warning came on believe it was oil warning. About a minute or two later car stalled. Cranked it about 2-3x try and start it (was blocking a busy intersection). 3 or 4th attempt engine started, ran super rough for 5-10 seconds and died enough to park out of the way.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,774 Posts
That’s my understanding. Initially warning came on believe it was oil warning. About a minute or two later car stalled. Cranked it about 2-3x try and start it (was blocking a busy intersection). 3 or 4th attempt engine started, ran super rough for 5-10 seconds and died enough to park out of the way.
IMO, sputtering to a stop due to low oil pressure is pretty much the worst case scenario for this engine.

I wonder how common oil pump issues are with this engine? Maybe one of the Alfa technicians could weigh in?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,188 Posts
My experience is that there isn't any additional wty, just what you have left on the original or extended wty.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Sport with trailer hitch
3,263 Posts
Except usually factory parts and labor are backed by a 12 month guarantee so if thats longer than your warranty has left...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts