Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal for the Ti? I've never had a car that went beyond the midway point. This happened? during my way to Napa this am (foggy and cold).

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,739 Posts
all our Aussie ones go to 5 notches

my 2.0L 200hp petrol does as well, manual says "around halfway" is optimal

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,739 Posts
im wondering if it really uses over 15litres/100klms when its idling

that current usage bar, you have MPG, we have litres per klms ... goes all the way to the right when idling, sometimes hovers about 3/4 of the way ... does that mean these engines have to idle highly to keep things cool ?

surely they cant be chewing up gas at that rate

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I guess it's normal. On an unrelated note, foggy morning turned in to a beautiful sunny day in Napa (northern California). ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is good information.

My Giulia runs at 5 notches and I was also wondering if it was running too hot. It is now winter in Alabama (not much of a winter really), will see what happens in summer when the thermometer gets to 100 F. Hopefully will stay at 5 notches and will not go higher.

Great Forum. Lots of good information being shared.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Make sure there are no obstructions in your radiator grills.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Keep in mind this gauge in the Giulia is measuring oil temp, not coolant(water) temp. So the behaviour will be different. If you have a car with both gauges you can see that. Water temp is more easily regulated in most cars, and frankly most modern car water temp gauges lie to you anyway. BMW, for example, has rounded off the displayed water temp to the middle of the gauge for years. It doesn't mean the water/coolant is actually spot on the middle of the temp range all the time.

I love that Alfa chose oil temp instead of water temp. It's a lot more useful in knowing exactly when your car is really warmed up. It's an unusual choice compared to every other car company, and a nice one, IMO.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is this normal for the Ti? I've never had a car that went beyond the midway point. This happened? during my way to Napa this am (foggy and cold).

This is same as on my 2.0 in TX now that it has gotten warmer (on a cold day it may stay on midpoint)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Where is the filter on the Ti? Maybe some more air or a heat sink could be provided?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently bought a Giulia AWD and it did then same thing and the hood started smoking its in the shop now and they are saying that the whole engine needs to be replaced!!! I haven't had the car for a month I'm pretty chocked that they won't give me a new car instead they are going to try to fix it

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,723 Posts
Thanks guys, I guess it's normal. On an unrelated note, foggy morning turned in to a beautiful sunny day in Napa (northern California). ?
Napa (home of Napa Autoparts, btw) is a modest distance North of San Francisco and relatively close to the Sears Point Raceway (currently known as the Sonoma Raceway). Throughout the San Francisco bay area it is normal for fog to roll in as the sun sets and "burn off" after the sun rises.

In the mountains east of the S.F. bay area yesterday and today it snowed. Almost 1 foot of accumulation at one of the ski resorts.

Doesn't 5 bars on the temperature gauge indicate that a software update is needed?

IMO: An engine that has overheat damage (see post #11 in this thread) under warranty should be replaced promptly, no questions asked. Things warp and never go back together right after such a problem. A repaired engine may run for a while, but it is likely to have problems. The whole car is normally not totaled, but a new engine is not cheap and some decent mechanic skills are needed to do the R&R and make it as good as factory fresh. You should get some kind of loaner while this repair is in progress. The root cause of the problem needs to be identified, since the ECU should have shut down the engine before any damage happened and the overheating may have been caused by something other than the engine.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Doesn't 5 bars on the temperature gauge indicate that a software update is needed?
Yes. There is a major sofware update which I call a "Service Pack" The only way to determine if your car has the update is by the oil temp gauge. If it has 5 bars (one bar above half way point) your car does not have it. If your car's oil temp gauge read exactly mid point after 15 minutes of driving, your car has the Service Pack update.

If your car does not have it, I highly recommend obtaining the update before posting any further issues with your car. My car has been running perfect since then.

You can read the my thread below on this topic. I made the first observation regarding the correlation between the temp gauge and the service pack update.

UPDATE:

I wanted to be more specific as to what updates my car received so you can all track the different updates the dealers are performing to the Giulias.

My TI received the following update to the ECU to clear the issue of the engine stalling immediately following fuel top-off: Update 181906RH. Guys I noticed a major change due to this update. The oil operating temperature lowered by one bar. The oil temperature digital gauge always read one bar above the halfway point. It always reached this level within 10-15 of driving. Some of you have also asked if this was the normal operating temperature with forum members stating that their car also read one bar above the half way point. After the update, my operating temperature is now exactly mid-way. I have driven the car now on two occasions for about 40 minutes each and it never passed the halfway point.

This is a major change I think. The engine is running slightly cooler now after the update. Exactly mid-way. What could the AF engineers tweaked in the ECU to make the engine lower in temps? Albeit by a small factor but major nonetheless.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. There is a major sofware update which I call a "Service Pack" The only way to determine if your car has the update is by the oil temp gauge. If it has 5 bars (one bar above half way point) your car does not have it. If your car's oil temp gauge read exactly mid point after 15 minutes of driving, your car has the Service Pack update.

If your car does not have it, I highly recommend obtaining the update before posting any further issues with your car. My car has been running perfect since then.

You can read the my thread below on this topic. I made the first observation regarding the correlation between the temp gauge and the service pack update.
How do we know the car is actually running cooler or if the update just recalibrated the guage to show 4 clicks instead of 5 at optimum temperature? Any chance you had an actual temperature reading before the update?

·
Registered
138 Posts
That also happned to mine, when I went back to the dealer/service I was advised that it is the oil temperature not the water and that range is normal, notice the oil can not a thermometer that is pictured the water temp is a light that comes on

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
How do we know the car is actually running cooler or if the update just recalibrated the guage to show 4 clicks instead of 5 at optimum temperature? Any chance you had an actual temperature reading before the update?
The update is very extensive... and definitely not just a gauge "re-calibration". There are updates to the air/fuel mix/ lean and rich ratios, etc according to the tech which can vary engine temp slightly. As noted, the change is marginal but a change none-the less. I also spoke to the tech about the potential of fouling spark plugs, increased carbon buildup if the engine is running cooler, etc. He was not worried at all about it.

One thing we do have to watch overtime is how this engine handles carbon buildup overtime because its direct injection. Many manufacturers tackle this issue differently.

For example, my GM Buick Lacrosse purposely had high first gear RPM change in the realm of 4,500 to loosen up any deposits. Early models of direct injection were prone to carbon buildup because of a low RPM engine life.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mine goes to 5 bars and the dealer says it came fully updated (picked up 6 days ago, got to dealer 11 days ago)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts