Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2018 Guilia Quadrifoglio, after a few consecutive cold days (10-20 degrees F), I am suddenly getting the below Service Engine Oil Level message. I also show the reading from Car Status/Oil Level. I am reading these as LOW. I checked the oil using the dipstick and it is full. Am I mis-reading this message (i.e. is it telling me oil level is too HIGH)? I am 3500 miles since my last oil change. Thanks very much.

Car Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Tachometer

Automotive design Plant Motor vehicle Gadget Personal luxury car

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
On my 2018 Guilia Quadrifoglio, after a few consecutive cold days (10-20 degrees F), I am suddenly getting the below Service Engine Oil Level message. I also show the reading from Car Status/Oil Level. I am reading these as LOW. I checked the oil using the dipstick and it is full. Am I mis-reading this message (i.e. is it telling me oil level is too HIGH)? I am 3500 miles since my last oil change. Thanks very much.

View attachment 121258
View attachment 121259
You are reading the display correctly, it is showing you are at / below minimum oil level. Why it’s registering that way when the dipstick shows it is full, I’m not sure. I know there was a software update at some point to fix an issue with the oil level display, but I can’t remember specifically which vehicles were affected. Sounds like a question for your dealer.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
The good news is that the oil level is OK at full mark. That is the advantage to still have the dipstick available (not sure why they eliminated it in the 2.0L engine). I would not be surprised that a low battery (because of low temps?) is making this to act up, as with many other CELs sometimes. Have you checked the battery voltage?. There may be something going on with low temps, battery and sensors acting up. As mentioned in the above post, I think that a quick dealership visit is in order (hopefully you have a dealership close and it is one of the good ones).

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,617 Posts
Join the club...

I just replaced my oil level sensor (just over $200) in my MY2018 Q4 due to similar behavior. Only, no dipstick in my 2.0T engine to double check. It was reporting 4.0 liters (4.5L min, 5.5L max in a 2.0T), so not a complete failure.

At least the R&R with the 2.0T engine is near trivial:

Drain oil (OK, I was 9200 miles into my 9600 mile service interval)
Unclip harness from sensor (took me 10 minutes to figure out, the hardest part of the job).
Unbolt sensor (3 bolts, easily accessed).
Reverse the above to complete the task.

Oil change time + 2 minutes if you know what you are doing. I suspect the QV R&R is just as easy, but could be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are reading the display correctly, it is showing you are at / below minimum oil level. Why it’s registering that way when the dipstick shows it is full, I’m not sure. I know there was a software update at some point to fix an issue with the oil level display, but I can’t remember specifically which vehicles were affected. Sounds like a question for your dealer.
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The good news is that the oil level is OK at full mark. That is the advantage to still have the dipstick available (not sure why they eliminated it in the 2.0L engine). I would not be surprised that a low battery (because of low temps?) is making this to act up, as with many other CELs sometimes. Have you checked the battery voltage?. There may be something going on with low temps, battery and sensors acting up. As mentioned in the above post, I think that a quick dealership visit is in order (hopefully you have a dealership close and it is one of the good ones).
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Join the club...

I just replaced my oil level sensor (just over $200) in my MY2018 Q4 due to similar behavior. Only, no dipstick in my 2.0T engine to double check. It was reporting 4.0 liters (4.5L min, 5.5L max in a 2.0T), so not a complete failure.

At least the R&R with the 2.0T engine is near trivial:

Drain oil (OK, I was 9200 miles into my 9600 mile service interval)
Unclip harness from sensor (took me 10 minutes to figure out, the hardest part of the job).
Unbolt sensor (3 bolts, easily accessed).
Reverse the above to complete the task.

Oil change time + 2 minutes if you know what you are doing. I suspect the QV R&R is just as easy, but could be wrong.
Thanks very much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts