Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TI q4 here:

Is it me or does the motor not have the cleanest sound? The exhaust has a wonderful note to it but when listening to the engine rev, there is always some rattling or ratchet up there that sounds kind of...cheap. Very audible with windows down. Previous cars were a 330xi and acccord sport but those motors were blissful to listen to.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Might be the turbo or exhaust shields/valves. Does it go away when warmed up?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK, look into the A mode and see what could be involved.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Check you fan blades to see if the free end of a plastic wire tie is being whacked by the fan. That is what I discovered with my QV. The fan keeps spinning for a short time after turning the motor off, so it was more noticeable at that time. I couldn't reach it to cut off the free end, so instead I spun it around so that the free end was sticking out in a different direction.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The 2.0 engine is a bit noisy on idle. Noise from turbo waste gate, the lever arm for the waste gate actuator, and the engine itself. I feel the engine is a bit noisier with the Selenia Digitek PE oil at recent service. I could swear it sounded smoother with Motul 8100 Ecoclean. I will be doing an early oil change back to Motul in another 1kmiles and see how it sounds. But yea this engine is not as smooth as a Honda or BMW petrol. Hondas have always sounded sweet and smooth.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The direct injection is very high pressure (about 2900 psig) so the injectors make a rattling noise somewhat like a diesel. Seems a bit louder to me at idle when cold than when warm. Don't hear it inside the car with the windows up.

Reactions: Triumph23

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yes the injectors too. I sat in a BMW M3 2019 car recently and at idle it was ticking like a woodpecker from the injectors! Much louder than my Alfa.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,723 Posts
I believe that most of the racket from a diesel engine comes from the ignition process, which is quite different from a gas engine DI or otherwise. My MY2000 Cummins ISB5.9 runs 19500 PSI at the injectors, btw; newer diesels run higher fuel pressure.

The wastegate actuation lever has no tension on it at idle and does have the potential to rattle.
That said, I do not hear any rattly or otherwise alarming noises coming from my 2.0T. It doesn't have that "sewing machine" smoothness of a 1970s Honda Civic, but the engine is far more complex and can be expected to make a bit more mechanical noise.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts
Initially, it was an intermittent sound, now continuous. Timing Chain?
You will need to explain what the sound is. Does it increase or change at all under throttle? How about in gear? Cold/ Warm?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts
Cold and warm noises. It's like a plate vibrates, but it's not. Valve resembles sound or timing chain noise.
wastegate armature rattling.

Reactions: 313speed

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts
Did you have one?
It's a known issue that @Triumph23 mentioned. This part here is too loose on some vehicles, it could use a spring washer to take up the slack.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a known issue that @Triumph23 mentioned. This part here is too loose on some vehicles, it could use a spring washer to take up the slack.
View attachment 94890
Did someone found a solution to that ?
I'm in the same situation. Right after a cold start it sounds very bad until the car heats up. Them, it is back with throttle until I past 2K RPM, them the noise drops down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts