Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to hear a loud ticking noise (assume is valves) when cold? Referring to the quad V6 engine. It seems that is getting louder or it could just be me. 3200 miles.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
You mean when the engine is cold while idling? The ticking noise is probably the main control solenoid on the high-pressure fuel pump. Ticking noises are normal in a direct injection engine.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Very cool video! its crazy how quickly the injectors spray gasoline. But I don't think you can compare the sound from the video clip to a fully assembled idling engine. The injectors will be within the engine block and will clicking noise will sound different.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it is possible and close. However, the noise goes away when the engine warms up. If it is the injectors then I would think it makes the noise all the time (in my non mechanical mind).

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Seems logical. Is it cooler in the mornings now where you live? Sometimes that's all it takes.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
Giulia not a morning person?

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am trying to find the thread on it, but I thought we all aligned on the ticking noise coming from the passenger side of the engine (at least on US cars) being a result of the engineering differences that bank uses due to cylinder deactivation. Certainly could be wrong here, but that's the only place I've heard ticking on at least four different QVs. This is not to be confused with "pulsing" that is heard from the injectors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts