Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
@jzchen, the Peak antifreeze does not have the recommended Alfa-Fiat specifications.

·
Registered
599 Posts
@jzchen, the Peak antifreeze does not have the recommended Alfa-Fiat specifications.

True.

It does have the ATSM # (I believe). I have too many coolants in the house: Peak Global Lifetime pre-mix, Mercedes, Zerex G-48, BMW. (I want to say the Mercedes and BMW are close to compatible, I think one way but not the other) MotorCraft Orange, a Honda type, Toyota, Prestone Green, Prestone and Havoline Dex-Cool. The Prestone Dex-Cool says it will work in all makes all models too btw, which is why I tried it! I really debated and held back posting that I tried it. But since the part number that Tech Authority does not have the same MS- Spec, causes weird color reaction, the thought of buying yet another coolant, and now people reporting inflated cost! I could not hold back any further...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I went to my local service department today to pick up a jug. I took a shot for reference but the color looks correct to the factory fill which is orange.
I have the same bottle, but the coolant is purple (as it’s supposed to be). The part number and spec is right, but if it’s orange, I’d be concerned...the previous incompatible HOAT was available in orange. Maybe Fiat changed it again.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
@jzchen,
I agree; so much confusion! I too have a similar collection of assorted antifreeze. There are several threads about this topic on this Giulia Forum and other Chrysler-FCA Forums. Our Giulias come factory filled with Petronas Parafull (aka Petronas Paraflu UP) antifreeze, an OAT antifreeze. Our manuals call for antifreeze with designations : Chrysler MS90032 (now MS12106), Fiat 9.55523, and CUNA NC 956-16 and ASTMD 3306. The PEAK Global has the correct ASTMD 3306 but incorrect Chrysler spec MS7170 and MS9769 and no Fiat spec. But, it is an OAT antifreeze. IMHO, I would say that one would have no problem using the PEAK for topping-up. For that matter, probably any OAT (like DEX-COOL) would be fine for topping-up. Why does it matter what antifreeze to use? It used to be that (most) all cars used the green silicate and phosphate antifreeze. Now, there are several different types that are being used by new car manufacturers. Mixing different TYPES of antifreeze can cause gelling and crystallization of the fluid that can cause very expensive problems. Also, the wrong antifreeze (alone, or mixed with another) can adversely effect certain plastics, metals, and gasket sealers that may be used in a particular (brand of) engine. This can cause huge problems. To avoid possible problems and expensive repairs, I would advise making the effort and (possibly) paying more, and only use the product that has the proper Chrysler MS 12106 and/or the Fiat 9.55523 designations. That's my $0.02

·
Registered
599 Posts
The Prestone Dex-Cool bottle says it is okay for topping up any make or model, and since it is orange I took my chances. DO NOT USE Dex-Cool. It changed the color and seemed to cause dark cloudy spots. After that I have low confidence Prestone is accurate.

We have an ‘18 Honda Clarity and I got Peak Asian Blue Formula for it from AutoZone for HV battery coolant top up. No strange reaction.

Then I tried the Global Lifetime on the Giulia with no apparent bad reaction.

Just sharing, so far so good. It is yellow so it is least likely to cause a color change. I didn’t really like the idea of it turning brown when mixed with the Mopar stuff! It’s also listed as specifically for the Giulia on the application guide I linked. Since it is specifically listed I would think they are brave enough to be accountable if something goes wrong....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just wanted to update further on the Global Lifetime: “recommended for” MS7170, MS9769, AND MS12106, per back of bottle

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
@jzchen, I see the image of the label with the correct MS12106. Good! Interestingly, on the PEAK web site it does not show the MS12106, just the other two. I have not found the discoloration issue that you report. Are you diluting the "pure" antifreeze before you add it to the reservoir? Note of fact: It is recommended that antifreeze always be diluted with water (mixed prior to pouring into vehicle), to whatever ratio desired, before it is added.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I added personally pre-mixed Prestone Dex-Cool. This one caused discoloration and small areas of dark cloudiness. I did not see any effect once I added the Peak prediluted 50/50 solution, but I must say this was added to the already discolored coolant. I did not need to add to the other reservoir. (In fact it was still above the lower limit when I did top off with the Dex-Cool).

It is duly noted that the website does not list it, but I found it on the old bottles I have of the Global Lifetime, and I guess prudent for anyone considering it to check the back before purchasing to verify MS-12106 is still there. I have these bottles from a long long time ago so maybe changes have been made since...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same bottle, but the coolant is purple (as it’s supposed to be). The part number and spec is right, but if it’s orange, I’d be concerned...the previous incompatible HOAT was available in orange. Maybe Fiat changed it again.

Is there something on the label I should look out for? I haven't used it yet, but the parts manager had opened the seal up to show me the color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Is there something on the label I should look out for? I haven't used it yet, but the parts manager had opened the seal up to show me the color.
The label on your jug looks like the label on my jug (I posted it a bit before your post), so IDK.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully no brown, I personally think you’re good to go. Don’t forget to dilute it.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
The color is not the issue, it is the chemicals that are in the coolant. The color is from a dye, not the chemicals. Mixing wrong chemicals means there are problems with gelling. It is not clear to me if the gelling is obvious or subtle but it should be clear that any gel inside of your cooling system is a really bad thing.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Overnight I figured moonkei you could carefully suction some out, and mix it with the new stuff outside the reservoir, make sure it turns out to your satisfaction, then put the mixture in.....

If the color is reacting badly, I’m concerned about that too...

·
Registered
599 Posts
AlfaAndy,

I can tell you’ve done careful research to find the proper coolant for our cars, and sharing. Thank you.

One thing is MS-12106 has been around for a while. A coolant with MS-90032 spec does not exist, as far as I know, as of yet. It seems from Googling around that manuals for certain Jeep models switched from specifying MS-12106 to MS-90032 sometime around 2015. (There was report of version 2 stating MS-12106 and download version 3 stating MS-90032 on a forum thread I found):

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/coolant-ms-12106-vs-90032-a-1942898.html

Oh well, I am still concerned with reports of brown discoloration from mixing the orangish original and purplish Mopar coolants. For now I will stick with my old stock Global Lifetime. If I happen to drop in at a Walgreens I’ll take a look at the new bottles and report...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Oh well, I am still concerned with reports of brown discoloration from mixing the orangish original and purplish Mopar coolants.
Why? Orange plus purple makes brown.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would prefer nice clear colors like green, orange, pink, or even purple. As we know, when coolant degrades from the effects of rust, engine oil, combustion blow-by, etc, it generally begins to turn a shade of brown. When many dealers were performing the coolant o-ring rrt, they were instructed to top-up the reservoirs with the Mopar purple. Luckily my MY18 has not needed that repair. I would not have liked my (one) reservoir showing a different color than the other.

·
Registered
599 Posts
So I was leaving my local AutoZone and looked up and saw a Walgreens that their website listed as having the Global Lifetime Product in stock, so I stopped by to check it.

Still has the same MS-12106 as the Mopar stuff, and does not cause bad color reaction, I’ve added to the non-discolored reservoir, $13.99....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
This may have been covered in a past post, but I will have another go at it.
I was at the Alfa - Maserati Dealer yesterday and my intercooler circuit bottle needed a small top-up. Interestingly, the tech said that ALL of the Giulia 2.0 cars that he services at the regular 10k service intervals, need a 1"-2" top-up, and that he has never found an external leak. Where is it going?!?!
He had, on his shelf, the black Mopar bottle that he is instructed to use for Alfa, and the white bottle, that he is instructed to use for Maserati. The Mopar is (more) purple (below image has both at 50/50), and the white bottle, labeled PARAFULL READY UP (a 50/50 dilution) is (more) orange in color. Both bottles have the same MS-12106 specification with the Parafull bottle also stating the FIAT 9.55523 number that it included on the all fluids spec sheet supplied by McGeek, for the Giulia(s). Also stated on the Parafull label: "Engine coolant is based on Organic Acid Technology (OAT) and is a borate, phosphate,silicate, nitrate, & amile free." DSCN5709.JPG DSCN5710.JPG DSCN5711.JPG

61 - 79 of 79 Posts