Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
From this thread (http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/778-alfa-romeo-giulia-issues-problems/32033-low-coolant-level-2.html):

Here's the fun note from the TSB for a few years ago: "NOTE: If OAT (MOPAR P/N 68163848AA Purple) has been Mixed with HOAT (MOPAR
P/N 68048953AB Pink Or Factory Fill HOAT Orange (Fig. 2) or (Fig. 3)) or any
other coolants have been mixed, it will be necessary to flush the cooling system."

OK, so having read that, you search the 68163848AA part number and keep getting jugs of coolant that meet MS.12106...so I have no freaking idea what the heck we should do now. The one clear fact is that the "AA" letters identify OAT coolant and the "AB" letters identify HOAT coolant, and never the twain should meet.
I'm not sure that AA vs. AB identifies the coolant type. It may be the digits. Someone versed in FCA part numbering schemes should be able to help decipher.

So what are the odds that we will be able to rely on dealer service departments to use the right coolant?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
@Chipshot, I have been wondering the same now...what a mess. Relying on the parts guy, trying to make me laugh? At one time the parts guy knew the number by heart and had worked there 30 years, now it’s a kid with an iPhone he’s always on and a computer that gives out questionable advice.

Went Chrysler part numbering googling and found a pretty good site that says that AA vs AB indicates a revision. If, IF, that is the case, then we know that the part number before the AA/AB is the key.

With regard to MS numbers, at one time some of the numbers were prefixed with the two digit year, but the 90032 standard seems more recent than 12106, so that’s out the window too.

@AlfaAndy, I did find a Chrysler parts catalogue for dealers ( http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/marketing/chemicals/19590_MoparChemCat2015_v00r01.pdf ) from early 2015 that listed the correct OAT coolant (parts numbers matched) with a note for meeting 12106. I’m starting to suspect that 90032 is an update that hasn’t percolated through the system yet. As a bonus, the Fiat OAT has a different part number...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
@AlfaCrisisOn a slightly different topic but the same vein, our Owner's Manual / User Guide shows a Chrysler spec MS-13340 for the 0W-30 engine oil. Have fun researching that one!
Search for MS-13340 links to this sheet with the correct Fiat spec on it:

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum-euro/_jcr_content/productDetails.stream/1461698815640/df24ad43161f07dd0f6d2b935a6b483df556854b85d6a6790c36facdbaa99ca7/Platinum_Euro_LX_SAE_0W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

·
Registered
774 Posts
When I was doing my 5k oil change, I went to the dealer to get oil and filter, parts brought out mobil 1, I said it did not meet spec and they looked at me like I was crazy. They said its what we use in Porsche oil changes, I said my car is a Alfa. I then found the Pennzoil oil at a auto store.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yes, of course, I have seen this.
I have also seen many links that indicate that 13340 is a 5W-30 oil.
My point is that the Chrysler specifications seem to be ever changing and conflicting, at times.
I'm staying with the Fiat Specifications.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
When I was doing my 5k oil change, I went to the dealer to get oil and filter, parts brought out mobil 1, I said it did not meet spec and they looked at me like I was crazy. They said its what we use in Porsche oil changes, I said my car is a Alfa. I then found the Pennzoil oil at a auto store.
You can always respond with a comment that you need the oil Ferrari uses...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did we settle upon what coolant should be used? If so, what is the part number? I will be taking my car in for the T57 recall and the passenger side reservoir is low.

Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm not sure that AA vs. AB identifies the coolant type. It may be the digits. Someone versed in FCA part numbering schemes should be able to help decipher.

So what are the odds that we will be able to rely on dealer service departments to use the right coolant?
First, color does not matter in coolants. It's just an identifier color added by the manufacuterer and may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. The only sure way to know OAT from HOAT is to read the label on the containers.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
First, color does not matter in coolants. It's just an identifier color added by the manufacuterer and may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. The only sure way to know OAT from HOAT is to read the label on the containers.
So we are back to the question I asked--what does it say on the container on the production floor in Cassino?

·
Registered
5,371 Posts

Where did I mention color? The only place I'm familiar with it mattering is farm fuel.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Where did I mention color? The only place I'm familiar with it mattering is farm fuel.
I was just relying to the conversation in general - you just happened to get picked to "reply to". lol. Sorry if it appeared I was trying to correct you about something.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I was just relying to the conversation in general - you just happened to get picked to "reply to". lol. Sorry if it appeared I was trying to correct you about something.
NP. That's what I suspected. I try to avoid injecting any confusion into our discussions and occasionally seek feedback to make sure I haven't.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So we are back to the question I asked--what does it say on the container on the production floor in Cassino?
Who cares?

How much did Petronas underbid the entire German automotive chemical industry, who are right next door to Italy, to win the contract?

How much money is FCA saving by getting their fluids from 1/2 way across the world?

The Pentosin fluid I linked is OE in most all of the modern European cars, it will do just fine in the 2.0T Giulias.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Who cares?

How much did Petronas underbid the entire German automotive chemical industry, who are right next door to Italy, to win the contract?

How much money is FCA saving by getting their fluids from 1/2 way across the world?

The Pentosin fluid I linked is OE in most all of the modern European cars, it will do just fine in the 2.0T Giulias.
Any one who needs to add coolant to their Giulia cares. The owner's manual specifies an OAT coolant, but the OEM coolant part number is not available and FCA was using chemically incompatible HOAT coolant until recently. I don't think anybody has been able to find evidence that Petronas makes an OAT coolant.

So, do you trust the error-prone owner's manual or the Chrysler standardized coolant colors (HOAT is orange)? Maybe we should just flush the system and replace the coolant with something that is "known".

·
Registered
184 Posts
Any one who needs to add coolant to their Giulia cares. The owner's manual specifies an OAT coolant, but the OEM coolant part number is not available and FCA was using chemically incompatible HOAT coolant until recently. I don't think anybody has been able to find evidence that Petronas makes an OAT coolant.

So, do you trust the error-prone owner's manual or the Chrysler standardized coolant colors (HOAT is orange)? Maybe we should just flush the system and replace the coolant with something that is "known".
I don't trust my dealer, at least not yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Who cares?

Modern Alfa’s usually use Selenia products and Petronas bought Selenia about 10 years ago so I suspect that most (all?) of their Alfa products are made in Italy and not from halfway around the world.

·
Registered
479 Posts
21 - 40 of 79 Posts