Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is not my first time here. For some reason I cannot log in with Facebook anymore. Anyway yesterday I got out of gym and turned on my car while my buddy came up and we started talking for about 30 minutes. That whole time the engine was running in idle. After the conversation, approximately 5 seconds after driving off, the "engine coolant temperature too high" light came on and the car went into limp mode (can't drive faster than 25 mph). I turned off the engine and check the coolant level and the level was just above MIN. However, I decided to drive anyway (it was an emergency) and after 2 minutes of driving in limp mode the car kicked in again and was back to normal. I was wondering does anyone had the same problem before? This morning the car is running fine. Any recommendations on engine coolant to use or buy? Why do I already need to add coolant after having a car for only 1k miles? Once again my engine coolant level is approximately 1/4 of an inch above MIN level. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hello everyone, this is not my first time here. For some reason I cannot log in with Facebook anymore. Anyway yesterday I got out of gym and turned on my car while my buddy came up and we started talking for about 30 minutes. That whole time the engine was running in idle. After the conversation, approximately 5 seconds after driving off, the "engine coolant temperature too high" light came on and the car went into limp mode (can't drive faster than 25 mph). I turned off the engine and check the coolant level and the level was just above MIN. However, I decided to drive anyway (it was an emergency) and after 2 minutes of driving in limp mode the car kicked in again and was back to normal. I was wondering does anyone had the same problem before? This morning the car is running fine. Any recommendations on engine coolant to use or buy? Why do I already need to add coolant after having a car for only 1k miles? Once again my engine coolant level is approximately 1/4 of an inch above MIN level. Thanks.
I see this is your first post here. Welcome :smiles: and congrats on the new Giulia :grin2:

The coolant level should be at the min mark when the engine is cold, before starting in the morning. As the engine warms, the coolant level should rise a bit, and fall later as the engine cools. If it was my car, I'd make sure the coolant is properly full, start the engine and turn on the heater. Turning on the heater is to run the coolant through which ensures there's no air in the line and that it circulates once in a while. It is possible there was still some air in the system that finally worked it's way out.

By no means should you ever open the system while it's hot.

Keep in mind that your new car came with a warranty, you paid for it with the purchase of your new car. Let your warranty work for you. Be careful not to void your warranty by working on the car yourself.

A trip or call to the dealer is probably a good idea at some point.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see this is your first post here. Welcome :smiles: and congrats on the new Giulia :grin2:

The coolant level should be at the min mark when the engine is cold, before starting in the morning. As the engine warms, the coolant level should rise a bit, and fall later as the engine cools. If it was my car, I'd make sure the coolant is properly full, start the engine and turn on the heater. Turning on the heater is to run the coolant through which ensures there's no air in the line and that it circulates once in a while. It is possible there was still some air in the system that finally worked it's way out.

Keep in mind that your new car came with a warranty, you paid for it with the purchase of your new car. Let your warranty work for you. Be careful not to void your warranty by working on the car yourself.

Thanks, its not my first post here, maybe like 15th. I bought the Giulia back in October and installed centerline corsa exhaust and recently the V2 intake because I love the car so much.

So you're saying that if I run the engine with heater on and my coolant is still at MIN mark then I should add some water? The dealer is 2 hours away from my home, so no way I would be able to drive if in fact my coolant is kind of low. I need to add something if it is actually low. This problem happened two days after I installed my cold air intake (which my dealer said should have no problem with the installation, as long as it doesn't add too much power lol). So you think maybe installing the intake correlates somehow with this issue that I had? I'm not car mechanically wise, so any lessons would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the quick reply. For some reason my previous response didn't go through. This is not my first post and probably like 15th. I got the car back in October and installed centerline corsa exhaust and V2 intake from EuroCompulsion since I loved the car so much.

Anyway, what you basically saying if I run my car with a heater on and my coolant level is still shown almost MIN then I should add some water? My dealership is 2 hours away, so there is no way I'll make it if in fact my engine coolant is low. Also I installed a cold air intake (my dealership approved) about two days ago, so do you think there might be any correlation between this issue and the new intake? I'm not mechanically wise, so any lessons wold be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have two part numbers, one that says "Part Number" and one that says "Global Part Number"

I have read on this forum that in Italy where the car is manufactured they use a Petronas PARAFLU 11, but I'm not sure it is available here in the United States.

Anyways, per the
04- Vehicle Quick Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids/Specifications

the part number and global part number respectively: 68163848AB and 68163848GB are listed.

Like oil I am assuming this is what you'd get at the dealer.

In my manual it says Features CUNA NC 956-16 and ASTM-D3306. (On the quick reference it just lists the three altogether under "Type" with MS.90032 last). There are a few coolants around that meet those, Peak Global Lifetime and Zerez G05, but I have used those in other cars in the household and the color doesn't match...

·
Registered
770 Posts

Amazon says this part is not compatible with the 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti​

Amazon's application guide is not always correct, but just to make sure I retyped the part number from the printout I made just in case I made a typo. If you go to a dealer ask for Giulia coolant, I'm betting it will be one of the part numbers I listed...​

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amazon's application guide is not always correct, but just to make sure I retyped the part number from the printout I made just in case I made a typo. If you go to a dealer ask for Giulia coolant, I'm betting it will be one of the part numbers I listed...
Thanks! However are you sure its okay to mix coolants, even though their different colors? I only probably need to add very little amount.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks! However are you sure its okay to mix coolants, even though their different colors? I only probably need to add very little amount.
I'm sure about the Mopar coolant. But go ask an Alfa dealer for a bottle specific for Giulia just to be safe. (I have the print-out in front of me dated 1/15/2018. If they make changes after this date and my subscription has expired then what do I say? I have to pay a subscription fee each time I want to access the information.) :surprise:

·
Registered
770 Posts
I do hope it is some sort of TSB that they flash your car and it is fine afterwards. Everything is CAN, (no fun, unless you know how to program Magnetti Marinelli's ECUs...) 1/4" above minimum (cold in the morning before driving) should not result in an overheat/low coolant issue....

BUT- Thank you for the warning. I've sat in front of my son's school for maybe 40 mins with the engine idling. (If all of a sudden something like that happened it would be pretty darn embarrassing! So far it's the only Alfa Giulia I've seen at his school...)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do hope it is some sort of TSB that they flash your car and it is fine afterwards. Everything is CAN, (no fun, unless you know how to program Magnetti Marinelli's ECUs...) 1/4" above minimum (cold in the morning before driving) should not result in an overheat/low coolant issue....

BUT- Thank you for the warning. I've sat in front of my son's school for maybe 40 mins with the engine idling. (If all of a sudden something like that happened it would be pretty darn embarrassing! So far it's the only Alfa Giulia I've seen at his school...)
Yea I'll give them a call to make sure. I appreciate your help!

Also I was sitting in idle for about 30min in dynamic mode (Ooops). I don't know if that matters or not. Another question; I installed a V2 air intake about two days before this issue happened (my dealership gave me approval of installation). So do you think it might have any possible correlation with the engine coolant light on? I'm not mechanically car wise but I believe installing the intake helped getting more air into the car and therefore actually kept the car cooler instead of causing this issue. Thanks again.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well, more air means it could run more lean/hotter, but in idle I don't expect anything to happen! Are you able to let it idle for another 30mins, in dynamic mode? I am not familiar with the installation of that intake, nor familiar with anything beyond seeing a picture of a bright red intake tube.

Hopefully someone else with the V2 intake can chime in, or Eurocompulsion (if that is the vendor)....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, more air means it could run more lean/hotter, but in idle I don't expect anything to happen! Are you able to let it idle for another 30mins, in dynamic mode? I am not familiar with the installation of that intake, nor familiar with anything beyond seeing a picture of a bright red intake tube.

Hopefully someone else with the V2 intake can chime in, or Eurocompulsion (if that is the vendor)....
I'll post in this thread again if the problem persists. Thanks again for all your help and important info.

Yes, the vendor is Eurocompulsion. I'll send them a message to see what they'll respond.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Thanks, its not my first post here, maybe like 15th. I bought the Giulia back in October and installed centerline corsa exhaust and recently the V2 intake because I love the car so much.

So you're saying that if I run the engine with heater on and my coolant is still at MIN mark then I should add some water? The dealer is 2 hours away from my home, so no way I would be able to drive if in fact my coolant is kind of low. I need to add something if it is actually low. This problem happened two days after I installed my cold air intake (which my dealer said should have no problem with the installation, as long as it doesn't add too much power lol). So you think maybe installing the intake correlates somehow with this issue that I had? I'm not car mechanically wise, so any lessons would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. For some reason my previous response didn't go through. This is not my first post and probably like 15th. I got the car back in October and installed centerline corsa exhaust and V2 intake from EuroCompulsion since I loved the car so much.

Anyway, what you basically saying if I run my car with a heater on and my coolant level is still shown almost MIN then I should add some water? My dealership is 2 hours away, so there is no way I'll make it if in fact my engine coolant is low. Also I installed a cold air intake (my dealership approved) about two days ago, so do you think there might be any correlation between this issue and the new intake? I'm not mechanically wise, so any lessons wold be appreciated. Thanks.
One thing at a time. For some reason, the server is flagging your posts and holding them for moderation approval. I see no reason for this and have approved them all.

Your post count is just under your name:

Yury123
(Thread Starter)

Can't tell you way you think it should be 15 when it shows seven currently.

Running the heater is only for the purpose of insuring there is no air trapped in the heater lines. Any air in the cooling system will eventually find it's way to the radiator and then into the overflow bottle. As the air goes into the bottle, it is replaced with water from the bottle. This helps to keep the radiator and system full.

Idling in dynamic or any other mode should not cause it to overheat.
The new intake system should not have effected any of these symptoms.

Have you removed the radiator cap and looked in the radiator to see if it's full? Do not open the system while it's hot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

One thing at a time. For some reason, the server is flagging your posts and holding them for moderation approval. I see no reason for this and have approved them all.

Your post count is just under your name:

Yury123
(Thread Starter)

Can't tell you way you think it should be 15 when it shows seven currently.

Running the heater is only for the purpose of insuring there is no air trapped in the heater lines. Any air in the cooling system will eventually find it's way to the radiator and then into the overflow bottle. As the air goes into the bottle, it is replaced with water from the bottle. This helps to keep the radiator and system full.

Idling in dynamic or any other mode should not cause it to overheat.
The new intake system should not have effected any of these symptoms.

Have you removed the radiator cap and looked in the radiator to see if it's full? Do not open the system while it's hot.
Racer it was because I was forced to make a new account, since I couldn't log in with Facebook anymore. It said this app is not supported anymore. Anyway I fixed the problem. jzchen you can now wait and idle while waiting for your son till your gas runs out! So what happened, is that one of the evap lines under the intake was hitting the fan which caused it to not rotate when the car was in idle and therefore caused the overheating. Now when the car came to a stop after the drive, the fan was spinning at a high gyration that caused one of the evap houses to throb or vibrate because the fan was just hitting it. I just pulled the two evap houses underneath the intake out of the way and towards the top of the intake which obviously fixed the problem. This is honestly the stupidest problem ever and I couldn't see it before since I always opened the hood after work when it was dark and with a flashlight I couldn't see the main problem. Anyway I'm very happy that these evap houses are made of such durable material. All the fan caused was some minor scuffs on the evap lines. Although the evap lines don't look pretty now, they never ripped! and held strong. I want to thank you all for your concern and happy driving! At least now I know which engine coolant to buy!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Reminds of the story, some generations ago, when a travelling salesman is driving along a back road. It is getting dark and the car is not running well. He pulls to the side of the road and by this time it is dark. Frustrated, he lifts the hood and looks around with the flashlight, not really having a clue.
Then he hears a very deep voice "Maybe the points on the fuel pump are corroded. Give it a tap and if it clicks, you will be OK for a while."
He did. And with the car running he looks to thank his helper. But there is just a black horse. No one at all.
Somewhat shaken, he pulls into a tavern to steady his nerves. After a few sips, starts to tell the bartender about the "fix" and his distress.

Bartender asks if it was the black horse and the driver nods his head.

"Good thing--the white horse knows diddly-squat about cars."

:) :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reminds of the story, some generations ago, when a travelling salesman is driving along a back road. It is getting dark and the car is not running well. He pulls to the side of the road and by this time it is dark. Frustrated, he lifts the hood and looks around with the flashlight, not really having a clue.
Then he hears a very deep voice "Maybe the points on the fuel pump are corroded. Give it a tap and if it clicks, you will be OK for a while."
He did. And with the car running he looks to thank his helper. But there is just a black horse. No one at all.
Somewhat shaken, he pulls into a tavern to steady his nerves. After a few sips, starts to tell the bartender about the "fix" and his distress.

Bartender asks if it was the black horse and the driver nods his head.

"Good thing--the white horse knows diddly-squat about cars."

:) :)
Haha yea, great story. I'm the white horse lol. Today's cars have so much technology that there is no more simple fix. I panicked with this car when I saw the problem cause I don't want anything to go wrong with it since I love the car so much and want to prove wrong to the doubters regarding the Alfas reliability.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thank you for the update! I know what to look for if we get an overheat condition in idle!!!

Lucky ours is a lease, AND I live in CA where an intake requires a CARB EO#!!! (So I haven't even considered the intake). Oh wait, was it intake related then? Can't exactly tell...

Yesterday was another 40 minutes or so idle in front of the school. (My reason, don't want to risk battery death and no start). Have a neighbor who said her batteries always die. I asked if she ever drives long distance, "nope". Not worth the embarrassment...

That long idle produced an unrelated problem: interaction between the OE front license plate mount and front parking sensors. (Should update the front license plate thread but don't want to be chastised for not getting a tow hook mount like everyone advises)!....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts