Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any detailed information on the engine block heater?
The dealer rep had no information.
Where is it attached on the (2.0) engine?
How does it operate?
What are it's specifications?
I have seen other engine block heaters that are installed in the cooling system area of the engine block, and have a pig-tail wire that then connects to your home outlet receptacle.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The engine block heater is installed to the back of the engine block, towards the firewall, on the intake side, just below the cylinder head. There's an access door in the wiper cowl, on the passenger side, for the electrical cord to plug it into a 110V socket capable of providing 6.5A.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine block heater is installed to the back of the engine block, towards the firewall, on the intake side, just below the cylinder head. There's an access door in the wiper cowl, on the passenger side, for the electrical cord to plug it into a 110V socket capable of providing 6.5A.
Would I be correct to assume that it is threaded into the aluminum block and has a heating element that warms the coolant?
In a garage at freezing temperature, what temperature will it heat the engine / coolant to?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This is the location of the block heater (part number 1).

And part number 5 in this pic is the cable:

The rest I don't know, purely because it's a feature only offered in NAFTA markets; all I can do is point you to this:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is the location of the block heater (part number 1).

And part number 5 in this pic is the cable:

The rest I don't know, purely because it's a feature only offered in NAFTA markets; all I can do is point you to this:

So it's a open deck block?

What about 350 HP version?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
My window sticker says my car has a block heater. I've looked for it to no avail. Does anyone have one on their car and wish to share pictures? Thanks in advance.

I posted about it about a month ago. Still haven't returned to the dealer for that engine compartment tour.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/145561-post8.html

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Interesting. My build does have the cold weather package. I may actually use this and save heat in the garage this winter... WHEN it's nice out. The Miata has the brand new Pirelli Sotto Zeros. Great traction on hills in medium snow. I have an aftermarket block heater for the baby beast. Snowmobile size. Works fine! ;)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The cold weather package is standard equipment on US-spec Giulias, and it doesn't include the block heater. On US cars, it consists of an uprated battery (the diesels also get other modifications when fitted with the option). Besides, the block heater is only offered on the 2.0L.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I can confirm what MacGeek said. I was looking at a Giulia at one of the local dealers and it had the Cold Weather Package AND the $150 Engine Block Heater Option too...in TEXAS?!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hehe, OK not a biggy. ;)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can confirm what MacGeek said. I was looking at a Giulia at one of the local dealers and it had the Cold Weather Package AND the $150 Engine Block Heater Option too...in TEXAS?!
Interesting. I could not find any cars in dealer inventory here in PA that had the block heater.
I added it to my MY2018 Q4 Giulia order.
For $150, why not?
To answer my own question, it could leak coolant, melt wires, burn the car and my garage to the ground.....
Hope not!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
They dont offer a 220V Engine heater for the european market?

I have the Defa Engine oilheater installed and got a problem starting my car. The starter didnt crank... It vas -25C ( -13F??)
Ive read this:
To prevent possible engine damage while starting at low temperatures, this vehicle will inhibit engine cranking when the ambient temperature is less than –22° F (–30° C) and the oil temperature sensor reading indicates an engine block heater has not been used.

The outside temp vas never -30C, but it seems that thats my problem. I used a heating fan in the Engine compartment two hours... then It started directly. Maybe I have a bad oil temperature sensor and the oil heater is too ineffective?
Ive contacted Alfa sales here in Sweden, but no reply so far...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They dont offer a 220V Engine heater for the european market?

I have the Defa Engine oilheater installed and got a problem starting my car. The starter didnt crank... It vas -25C ( -13F??)
Ive read this:
To prevent possible engine damage while starting at low temperatures, this vehicle will inhibit engine cranking when the ambient temperature is less than –22° F (–30° C) and the oil temperature sensor reading indicates an engine block heater has not been used.

The outside temp vas never -30C, but it seems that thats my problem. I used a heating fan in the Engine compartment two hours... then It started directly. Maybe I have a bad oil temperature sensor and the oil heater is too ineffective?
Ive contacted Alfa sales here in Sweden, but no reply so far...
Why would Alfa not offer the block heater for the EU market?
That is just stupid.
Perhaps you can purchase it from an Alfa Dealership and have it installed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I´m going to check that with Alfasales... but my guess is they use/recommend aftermarket heaters
in Scandinavia/Europé? because we have 2 big manufactures, Defa and Calix.
They have produced heaters for all vehicles/brands for 40 years, maybe.
When I ordered my Giulia I ordered "Engine and compartment" heating, got the Defa-system...

Alfa has used my "neighborhood" for Winter testing the Giulia, so I´m curious what heatingsystem they used... :grin2:
But... the best solution would be an orignal heater, same as for the US-market but 220V.
Heating water, not oil??

Maybe McGeek has some answers?? :nerd:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts