Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,716 Posts
Yes :| dont know whats the logic behind that.
Maybe it is too inaccurate to be useful? The DTE (distance to empty) value on both my Truck and my Subaru are very inaccurate, so I simply ignore the read out.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
Can't tell. Were the fuel level segments red? That's what I got when I almost ran her dry.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can't tell. Were the fuel level segments red? That's what I got when I almost ran her dry.
Similar to my wife's Highlander, I think the Giulia is very conservative in the fuel gauge. Also similar, I can load about 2 additional gallons in the tank after most gas pumps shut off. So, I'm going to do a couple of experiments.

The good news, mileage is great....

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Similar to my wife's Highlander, I think the Giulia is very conservative in the fuel gauge. Also similar, I can load about 2 additional gallons in the tank after most gas pumps shut off. So, I'm going to do a couple of experiments.

The good news, mileage is great....
Be careful doing that. Some evaporative emission control systems can be damaged that way and then cause mystery problems with the engine (extra fuel reaching the engine).

I also often do this with my Mazda, but only if I am immediately going to "hit the road".

With my Subaru if I "top up the tank" the digital fuel gauge goes nuts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's similar to the GM "LOW FUEL" readout below 30-35 miles remaining. You should already have the fuel light on the top right of the fuel gauge. Shortly after you get the dashes, you get an additional large yellow graphic in the middle of the instrument cluster of a low fuel light/gas pump. I figured at that point it was probably time to get gas...

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
On our QV we've had the miles to empty display go blank a few times while driving hard with about 1/3 of a tank of fuel left, and then return to a reading of 90+ miles when we are driving at a steady rate of speed again.

My analysis is that the blank display is caused when the instantaneous fuel consumption goes way up, and the system can't properly average it with the mileage from the rest of the tank to produce the miles to empty number.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
On our QV we've had the miles to empty display go blank a few times while driving hard with about 1/3 of a tank of fuel left, and then return to a reading of 90+ miles when we are driving at a steady rate of speed again.

My analysis is that the blank display is caused when the instantaneous fuel consumption goes way up, and the system can't properly average it with the mileage from the rest of the tank to produce the miles to empty number.
Maybe all the fuel sloshed to one end of the tank so that the tank appeared to be empty? :grin2:

At least the days of my brother's 1970 Charger are long gone: make a single 0-60MPH run at full throttle and the fuel gauge visibly dropped. Between 3 and 5MPG, depending on how hard it was driven.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The value is programmed to go blank when the estimated distance to empty goes below 50 km.

It's a liability issue. So they don't get sued if the car says you have, say, another 10 miles, but it empties out at 8 instead. It's also due to the difficulty of giving an accurate estimate when the fuel quantity is very low: the estimate is based on a running average of the last few minutes, and since the consumption can vary a lot, the value could swing rather dramatically.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The value is programmed to go blank when the estimated distance to empty goes below 50 km.

It's a liability issue. So they don't get sued if the car says you have, say, another 10 miles, but it empties out at 8 instead. It's also due to the difficulty of giving an accurate estimate when the fuel quantity is very low: the estimate is based on a running average of the last few minutes, and since the consumption can vary a lot, the value could swing rather dramatically.
I'm not aware of any other manufactures that has that "liability" concern. Hmmmmm, sounds more like a design/engineering issue to me.

Paul

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I second the value going below 50 miles causing the dashes to appear. At that point the fuel gage turns red as well. This is in the Quadrifoglio.

I don't normally let the fuel get that low. To me, there is a bit of science to keeping the fuel pump cool at all times while being bathed in several gallons of fuel. If the tank is allowed to run on fumes, the fuel pump naturally gets hotter. Who knows if it is any indicator on the life of a fuel pump or not. Just my OCD. Ha.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm not aware of any other manufactures that has that "liability" concern. Hmmmmm, sounds more like a design/engineering issue to me.
It's a deliberate design choice. All Fiat Group cars have always been programmed that way, ever since they've had trip computers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Since we are talking about fuel gauge. Is it normal to fill up and the readout say 325 miles to empty and then way before it reaches the half way mark it is telling me that I have less than 100 miles. The level on the gauge drops quickly from then until the light comes on. By the way this is on a Quad with 1500 otehrwise trouble free miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You guys remind me of Kramer in this Seinfeld episode:

In-tank fuel pumps are cooled by fuel running through them (also lubes them) and also cooled to some extent by fuel around them. I would avoid running the tank down so low. Definitely avoid running them dry!

·
Registered
869 Posts
My gauge will show less than 50 km (30 miles) remaining. Even with the gauge glaring red to me. Confirmed on the last 2 tanks. -- means you have no range left...probably due to getting very poor instantaneous readings in the nearest past.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

Paul
Both my Jeep SRT, go to "low fuel" when close to empty, and I believe our Merc GL 450 did it also....
It just makes sense in my opinion as not to give you a false sense of security....

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Another thing that apparently effects the readout is what driving mode you are in.

The other day I was driving around in Dynamic mode showing about 100 miles to empty, when I switched to Race mode it showed 33 miles to empty.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts