Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
That makes sense... if I recall there has been issues with the battery that was replaced under warranty correct?
I doubt there’s much chance of a warranty replacement for a MY18 car at this point in time. I’d follow @beta2alfa ’s advice and go for an AGM replacement. I don’t know what your driving habits are, but if the car is sitting for days at a time, a battery tender might be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
According to the CTEK charger manual the charger positive should be connected to the battery positive, but the charger negative should be connected to the chassis (not the battery negative) because of the presence of the battery management system.

But I have had mine directly across the battery for months and l as far as I can tell with no ill effects (the charger and the battery management circuit seem to coexisting fine.) still, better to follow their directions and find a chassis ground point near the batter and connect to it (instead of battery negative.)
I did not provide any instructions on how to use, only mentioned to the poster that he may want to consider a charger, so @Csalbitz reply to my post made no sense. I’ve been using a CTEK for 4 years. I use the auxiliary posts under the hood for ease of access and to ensure I do not bypass the IBS.

Reactions: johnalfa

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Sorry, some manufacturers refer to the battery management system as BMS and some “Alfa” calls it Intelligent battery system IBS. There is a certain way to hook up battery tenders on these cars to keep the IBS from messing things up. These cars are electrical divas and they are very particular with voltage, otherwise you get a Christmas tree all lit up!
I understand, I’ve been using on my Alfas for 4 years. What I didn’t understand was why you commented on my post which was only suggesting the poster might want to invest in a battery tender - I provided no input on how to connect or use one. No worries though, just didn’t understand the context of your post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts