Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2018 QV which has never had any major issues throughout my ownership. I'm the original owner. But today when I started the car, the cluster flashed multiple errors. The car runs, but it's clear the errors have affected most of the functionality of the car.

Some observations:
  • Turn signals not working
  • A/C fan runs, but does not cool
  • Fuel gauge doesn't work
  • Door lock indicator is lit red even though the doors aren't locked
  • Lights do not work
  • Etc.

My question is has anyone experienced a similar issue? If so, was there a DIY solution? I wonder if disconnecting the battery to reset the car would fix the issue?

I've attached some pics of the the errors on my cluster for reference.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Car Vehicle Speedometer Plant Trip computer

Plant Speedometer Car Vehicle Trip computer

Plant Speedometer Car Vehicle Trip computer

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
288 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2018 QV which has never had any major issues throughout my ownership. I'm the original owner. But today when I started the car, the cluster flashed multiple errors. The car runs, but it's clear the errors have affected most of the functionality of the car.

Some observations:
  • Turn signals not working
  • A/C fan runs, but does not cool
  • Fuel gauge doesn't work
  • Door lock indicator is lit red even though the doors aren't locked
  • Lights do not work
  • Etc.

My question is has anyone experienced a similar issue? If so, was there a DIY solution? I wonder if disconnecting the battery to reset the car would fix the issue?

I've attached some pics of the the errors on my cluster for reference.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 128503
View attachment 128501
View attachment 128502
I had that happen once. No idea what the root cause was but I ended up pulling the negative on the battery terminal and the issue never came back. This was like 2 years ago.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
That makes sense... if I recall there has been issues with the battery that was replaced under warranty correct?
I doubt there’s much chance of a warranty replacement for a MY18 car at this point in time. I’d follow @beta2alfa ’s advice and go for an AGM replacement. I don’t know what your driving habits are, but if the car is sitting for days at a time, a battery tender might be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I doubt there’s much chance of a warranty replacement for a MY18 car at this point in time. I’d follow @beta2alfa ’s advice and go for an AGM replacement. I don’t know what your driving habits are, but if the car is sitting for days at a time, a battery tender might be a worthwhile investment.
Thanks for your input. I checked the battery and it somewhat fixed the issues. I just have a CEL on but everything seems to be working as it should. Will definitely buy a replacement battery since the current one seems to be dying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There was a factory software upgrade that stopped a drain on the battery in earlier models. Mine hadn't had the update when I bought it and I had these sort of gremlins when the battery got low. Maybe check you have all OEM software updates?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Only easy DIY I'd recommend is to check the battery or get new battery, but this group of error code seems to be very particular. I've never gotten those with low/bad battery. I'd put my money on shpuncik's suggestion. This seems to be very focused on some control module

·
Registered
23 Posts
They gotta be plugged in a certain way with the BMS. Check the posts on this subject!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don’t know what you mean?
According to the CTEK charger manual the charger positive should be connected to the battery positive, but the charger negative should be connected to the chassis (not the battery negative) because of the presence of the battery management system.

But I have had mine directly across the battery for months and l as far as I can tell with no ill effects (the charger and the battery management circuit seem to coexisting fine.) still, better to follow their directions and find a chassis ground point near the batter and connect to it (instead of battery negative.)

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
According to the CTEK charger manual the charger positive should be connected to the battery positive, but the charger negative should be connected to the chassis (not the battery negative) because of the presence of the battery management system.

But I have had mine directly across the battery for months and l as far as I can tell with no ill effects (the charger and the battery management circuit seem to coexisting fine.) still, better to follow their directions and find a chassis ground point near the batter and connect to it (instead of battery negative.)
I did not provide any instructions on how to use, only mentioned to the poster that he may want to consider a charger, so @Csalbitz reply to my post made no sense. I’ve been using a CTEK for 4 years. I use the auxiliary posts under the hood for ease of access and to ensure I do not bypass the IBS.

Reactions: johnalfa
1 - 20 of 24 Posts