Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to troubleshoot my electric steering. My 2017 Giulia has always disliked water (throws errors) but would be happy when it dried, but now my steering has failed and I am trying to troubleshoot. So far I’ve checked fuses and connections. Reseated the connectors on the steering module. I did happen to find this connector by the fuse box, any ideas on what it does or if it could be related? Or any tips on the issue in general?
Dash complains about ESC failures and power steering failures.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I couldn’t tell you what that sensor is, but here’s the mopar connector site. It might be a hunt to find it, but if there’s a replacement connector kit for it it’ll be listed here. Once you find it give your dealer a call and give them the part number and they’ll be able to order it for you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't answer your question but I can relate some exoerience. Same thing happened to my former 2018 Gilulia Ti Sport (I currently have a 2021).

According to my service tech, some water got into one of the connectors (not broken, but he hypothesized it wasn't fully connected at the factory). It fried the electronics in the steering rack. So, it needed a new rack. He claimed it couldn't be repaired, but I couldn't tell you if that was absolutely true. Virtually anything can be repaired, but it might have made more sense to replace the rack under warranty.

Worse, Alfa corporate insisted that the whole wiring harness had to be replaced.

The new harness might have been overkill, but Alfa seemed to be playing better safe than sorry.

Hope this isn't the case with yours. It didn't cost me a dime but the car was down for a long time (got a nice Giulia loaner) and I can imagine it was an expensive repair.

They put the car back together well and never a problem after that.

If I were you I'd try to track down the right parts and see If that works, but be prepared in case it needs a new rack.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is the torque sensor connector.
The torque sensor is measuring the driver input and matches the assist level based on that.
You won't find the connector on the mopar site, as this is an integral part of the steering rack. One part number for the whole thing.

You can try to repair the wiring, but make sure the EPAS is off while doing it.
Make sure, you do it properly.
Bear in mind, that failure of that cable can cause loss of assist while driving, which is really dangerous.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts