Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had an "Electric Park Brake Failure" warning light? This light showed up last night after I had remote started the car in zero degree weather (-18 C). I have a very inexpensive code reader, and for some reason, it cannot even detect the code. I have used the reader in the past on this car, so I know that it should generally work, but for this particular error code it doesn't work.

The owner's manual says that the failure can sometimes result in the parking brakes being continuously applied, but in my case the brake does not seem to be deployed at all. So I can at least drive it, but I sure didn't want to go to the dealer have it fixed. My time is better spent being at work vs. sitting at the dealer.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a very inexpensive code reader, and for some reason, it cannot even detect the code. I have used the reader in the past on this car, so I know that it should generally work, but for this particular error code it doesn't work.
I’m not surprised. Most cheap generic OBD2 code readers just read the standard SAE J1979 PIDs for basic engine/emissions functions managed by the ECU that might trigger a CEL. If you want to delve deeper into one of the 30+ other control modules on your vehicle you’ll want to get a better scan tool. Or take your car to the dealer. It is under warranty after all.

I sure didn't want to go to the dealer have it fixed. My time is better spent being at work vs. sitting at the dealer.
Then live with it until your first service or until you feel it is a critical need. In the meantime, you can set electronic parking brake function parameters via the Information and Entertainment system by selecting the following items in sequence on the main menu: "Settings", ”Driver Assistance" and "Automatic Parking Brake". In most cases like this, simply turn the car off and on again to see if the problem goes away. Usually it will if it’s an intermittent fault caused by extreme cold weather. If it’s critical, the car will most likely tell you. But definitely listen to your gut. If you feel something is serious or if the car doesn’t feel right, then it is serious and you should probably call your dealer, Alfa Care, arrange for a tow if needed, etc. We’re all busy and no one wants to deal with inconvenience. But hey, c’est la vie. It’s an Italian car. A certain amount of shenanigans is to be expected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts