Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few of you have done the straight pipe by just deleting the muffler, but have any of you done an electric cutout?
Seems like a good option if you want it quiet from time to time?

Some examples:

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,903 Posts
QV already has such a system and the ECU will throw a CEL if the valve fails to open.

I previously suggested such a system for 2.0T, but I am mostly interested in a system that will improve performance by reducing weight and/or backpressure. The later seems unlikely for the 2.0T, based on what has been posted so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QV already has such a system and the ECU will throw a CEL if the valve fails to open.

I previously suggested such a system for 2.0T, but I am mostly interested in a system that will improve performance by reducing weight and/or backpressure. The later seems unlikely for the 2.0T, based on what has been posted so far.
Well if you delete the rear muffler that would save you a few lbs and defienetly reduce backpressure, basically what would happen with the cutout but you have the option to turn it on and off ?????

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,903 Posts
Well if you delete the rear muffler that would save you a few lbs and defienetly reduce backpressure, basically what would happen with the cutout but you have the option to turn it on and off ?????
It would seem that way, but no. The on the market muffler exhaust systems are heavier than OEM and the change does not improve performance. It just makes a lot of noise. You will note that "make a lot of noise" was not on my wish list.

Titanium exhaust systems with a "mini-muffler" can save well over 50% of the exhaust system weight while giving a civilized level of noise. They are a bit pricey, but such a system is now an orderable option on the 4C. An aftermarket system for a WRX (arguably more complex than what Giulia 2.0T needs) is priced at $3000. The 4C option is also priced at $3000.

Titanium is about 60% of the density of steel, but the metal can be thinner as well due to the combination of corrosion resistance and strength.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.