Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo developed an engine with both turbo and super charger for full range of rpm. Others resort to twin scroll / twin turbo. There must be big names R&D working on electric motor driven super chargers. MB and at least one other big name put in 48v system into car and MB eliminated belt all together in their new engine. This open up the possibility of having an electronic turbo charger or supercharger. Where are the aftermarket guys in this race ?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The current 2.0 does have a twin scroll turbo. It's voiced that the upcoming 350 hp Giulia will have an electric turbocharger.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking forward to it.
It will definitely fix the get go at the traffic light - where I got beaten often. I wonder if Q4 equipped fair better.

Giulia current incarnation of the 2.0L squeezes out 280 hp bond to have some turbo lag, the recycle of discharge and integrate turbo to exhaust manifold, shorten the path by using water cool instead of intercooler all help to reduce lag. One of the things DNA selector do is to step up the idle from a to n to d so that you are closer to the point the turbo kicks in. It is a work around not an ultimate solution. That is why electric motor assisted turbo charger is something worth hoping for.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't have any inside info here, but I can say that by combining a supercharger (either belt driven or electric) with a turbo charger is going to be really effective, and from an aftermarket standpoint would allow us to do quite a lot.

Greg

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
you wouldn't need much from a little SC , just to get it going before the turbos scroll up.
but then it's an obstruction in the intake tract, so the tract needs to be split with the sc feeding into the airbox, with a reed valve ...
depending on desired level of effectiveness, it could get complicated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts