Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please.
I remember reading in a post in this forum about an electric cabin heater coil that helps to blow warm air before the coolant warms. Posts included the page number in the owners manual that discussed it. The manual stated "as equipped" I asked my dealer rep about it and was told that it is not available in the US. I seem to remember that the author was here, in the US. Does anyone here remember this?
Thanks,
AlfaAndy

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
There's a lot of "where available" in the owners manual. So much they sent me a 2nd set of manuals. No joke!

These cars warm up very quickly to the point that I'd be surprised if USA cars had the coil preheat/reheat installed.

Off topic, Faulkner Mechanicsburg is hosting a mega Cars and Coffee on July 8.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric,
Yes, Laura sent me info on the cars and coffee too. I hope to attend in my Spider.
As far as the heater coil, Laura checked into this for me, and she was told that it is only offered on the diesel powered cars.
Still, I'd swear that it was posted by a US owner.
But, you may be correct. The US manual includes items that only non-US cars may have. Bummer.
The heat is never "fast enough" for the wife!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
Eric,
Yes, Laura sent me info on the cars and coffee too. I hope to attend in my Spider.
As far as the heater coil, Laura checked into this for me, and she was told that it is only offered on the diesel powered cars.
Still, I'd swear that it was posted by a US owner.
But, you may be correct. The US manual includes items that only non-US cars may have. Bummer.
The heat is never "fast enough" for the wife!
You can buy a standalone electric heater and an AC power cord. Car friendly units are available in Europe as pointed out by our Swedish forum member. They may not be US/Canada AC friendly though.

The person who posted that information never claimed that he knew of a car that had the heater. I pointed out that the standard Giulia electric system was probably inadequate to run such a heater. Diesels take longer to warm up and are usually equipped with more capable electric systems.

Check with Eberspaecher in Germany to see if they sell an after market kit for Giulia. They make fuel powered units that do not over stress the electrical system, but I have no idea if they make anything that will fit in the tight space constraints of Giulia or if they make anything that is gas (petrol) powered or if it is possible to make one of their units not cause Giulia's ECU to throw a tantrum. From -10F outside the unit I have takes 30-45 minutes to get my diesel pickup truck above freezing, although it heats the entire engine and not just the cab.

Point your wife to the remote start capability, which is the intended solution to the pre-heat problem.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lockem,
Do you remember in which thread this was discussed?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The Webasto product is interesting. It is a cellular/sim controlled module that operates from your phone rather than another keyfob remote control.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Webasto product is interesting. It is a cellular/sim controlled module that operates from your phone rather than another keyfob remote control.
That is way cool!
The electric coil cabin heater feature would be nice, as well. I'm guessing that it's diesel car only because the petrol cars don't have enough battery and alternator, and the oil burners do.
An add-on device that is controlled by an app, that ignites gasoline inside the car (engine compartment) which is potentially parked in your attached garage....
Webasto's product liability insurance must be $$$

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
What about a heated garage and leaving the car's windows open?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder how much that costs, installed?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chramon,
Thanks for the info.
As you may have read above, our US Dealer rep said that only the diesel cars get the electric coil heater.
That means not here in the US.
Perhaps in your area?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Remote Start

As previously mentioned...the purpose of the Remote Start is primarily to warm the car in the winter....when turning off the car the day (night) before...leave heat on high temp and high fan...car will be warm in no time....D

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I wonder how much that costs, installed?
The Webasto unit is similar to my Espar by Eberspaecher. If no car specific kit is available there is a need to deal with:

Mounting bracket(s).
Coolant line adapters.
Fuel line connection.
Hacking into the heating system wiring.
Keeping the ECU from throwing errors.
Routing new fuel line and electric wires so that they are not hazardous.

None of these are trivial. My Espar kit was about $1500 almost 15 years ago and even with the kit it took me a bit over a day to install.

I would be very concerned about the safety of a long range start and/or start via cell connection feature. My Espar is strictly manual start and start by timer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Chramon,
Thanks for the info.
As you may have read above, our US Dealer rep said that only the diesel cars get the electric coil heater.
That means not here in the US.
Perhaps in your area?
I asked my deler about it when I picked up my new Giulia and he didnt know. He said maybe the diesel-version had this option. And the electic heater I posted about, they are 220V AC. Dont know if they produce a 110V for US-market?

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I asked my deler about it when I picked up my new Giulia and he didnt know. He said maybe the diesel-version had this option. And the electic heater I posted about, they are 220V AC. Dont know if they produce a 110V for US-market?
240VAC is available in the US, although it is usually hardwired and 240VAC extension cords are a specialty item. As electric cars become more popular, we are likely to see more 240VAC power outlets and extension cords in the US. Because 240VAC is used only for high power appliances (greater than 1800 watts and usually greater than 4000 watts), the US standard for the corresponding plugs are pretty bulky.

A more difficult problem is 50Hz versus 60Hz. Although the heating element does not care about the line frequency, it is probable that the motor that drives the fan does care. If the fan overheats from running too fast or does not run fast enough a compact heater like you illustrated can become a fire hazard.

FWIW: 12VDC standalone heaters are available. Here is one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-U...-Mule-Commander-Viking-Maverick-/262306240639

Not nearly enough heat to warm up the car's interior, but it could be enough to keep the windshield from fogging/frosting up on the inside. That is after all it's intended use inside an uninsulated and poorly air sealed UTV cab. Kinda bulky and ugly though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts