Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Giulia has an electric brake system whereby there is only an electrical connection between the brake pedal and the four calipers. Is there a back up system should the car lose all electrical power? If there is no power to the electric brake system and the car is moving is there any braking function? For this discussion assume the failure results in zero battery output to the electrical brake system. :surprise:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Interesting documents and thanks for posting. But what on Earth does this mean (top of page 4):

"2. The secondary hydraulic circuit: it supplies the front right calliper and the right left calliper."

Okay they spelled caliper wrong for us USA folks, but what is a "right left calliper" ??

·
Registered
317 Posts
Probably a typo and they mean rear left (extrapolating from last sentence on page 3). Most hydraulics have two non overlapping or minimally overlapping circuits. Volvo, if I recall correctly would have two circuits each with both front calipers but a different rear. Here the only other thing not clear is why thy call one circuit primary and the other secondary. Unless I don't understand both circuits should be equally empowered.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
859 Posts
Probably a typo and they mean rear left (extrapolating from last sentence on page 3). Most hydraulics have two non overlapping or minimally overlapping circuits. Volvo, if I recall correctly would have two circuits each with both front calipers but a different rear. Here the only other thing not clear is why thy call one circuit primary and the other secondary. Unless I don't understand both circuits should be equally empowered.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Thought as much too, thanks for clarifying and it does make sense based on the previous senetnce.

·
Registered
422 Posts
"Should the primary EBS fail completely – a highly unlikely scenario – the MK 100 HBE unit will brake the vehicle with the front wheels and provide an ABS function"

PS love the pic in the ad- where the car is on the highway and the driver is playing Candy Crush on his ipad. Lovely.

rjp

·
Registered
876 Posts
Well i know brakes work with thr electronic system down, because i had the ebs module fuse out to see what happens, you do lose abs and power brakes, but brakes still work, pedal becomes heavy, but thats about it

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There's no MK 100 HBE in the Giulia. The connection between the MK C1 unit and the brakes is hydraulic, and the fallback mode is designed into the MK C1 itself.

There are normally open hydraulic valves between the master cylinder and the hydraulic circuits. Once the system powers up and passes its internal diagnostic tests, brakes are switched to "by wire mode", whereby the brake pedal is decoupled from the hydraulic circuits by closing the aforementioned valves: oil displaced from the master cylinder is diverted to the pedal feel simulator. Pedal travel and pressure is measured, and the actual braking pressure is generated by an electric motor inside the brake controller.

If said controller is unpowered, or if there's a fault condition, those valves will stay open, therefore the brake pedal will directly actuate the hydraulic braking circuits. The pedal will have an abnormally long travel and will feel very spongy, but the vehicle will be able to brake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts