Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Subscribed..

I haven't seen any confirmation on this yet from any manufacturer.

I'm specifically looking for springs that have been confirmed working on a Q4 with Adaptive Dampers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Eibach stated they are ready to test but have yet to get a hold of a test vehicle. Not sure if that's changed since.

I reached out to KW but never heard anything.

Im holding out for something that will work with AS as well. The gap is unbearable.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The gap on the Q4 is almost SUV like. However, the Eibach springs work on all "Giulias" according to the manufacturer claims. If anything, the drop will put you closer to the Q2 gap.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gap on the Q4 is almost SUV like. However, the Eibach springs work on all "Giulias" according to the manufacturer claims. If anything, the drop will put you closer to the Q2 gap.
Agreed.
However, when I contacted Novitech they stated that they were not for the Q4, as well as site vendors being unable to confirm as well. More than likely they are universal, but would prefer confirmation from someone reputable

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is what I was told a couple of weeks ago - direct answer from Eibach:

Thanks for your inquiry and your interest in our products.

The springs for Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4 are still in development and not available so far.

Unfortunately we do not have a test car so far.

We assume it will take further 2-3 months until we have further news.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Not sure you want to drop your Q4 on Eibachs...granted "the stance" will be nicer...but when you get a snow over 1.5 feet, as we do here Giovanni you may be turning your Alfa into the coolest snow-plow in our area

·
Registered
953 Posts
Not sure you want to drop your Q4 on Eibachs...granted "the stance" will be nicer...but when you get a snow over 1.5 feet, as we do here Giovanni you may be turning your Alfa into the coolest snow-plow in our area
I never thought of that MDriver (I live in Miami so we only have to deal with the occasional inundation instead) but a very good point.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I never thought of that MDriver (I live in Miami so we only have to deal with the occasional inundation instead) but a very good point.
So let me understand this..You live in beautiful Miami (almost bought a house in Brickell sic spelling)...and you bought an AWD Giulia????
Your killing me...If I lived where you are...I'd be "rocking" as my niece says...a convertible ALL DAY...and I don't even like drop-tops...:grin2:
Would I be standing out with a Arancio Borealis Gallardo Spyder???>:)

·
Registered
953 Posts
LMAO! Miami is definitely beautiful but I dont have a AWD Giulia. I have a RWD but I did get the dual pane sunroof as a compromise. The convertible is ONLY advisable during the Winter months. The summer here is brutal and the sun will kill you if you have the top down during during the summer months add leather seats... nasty! :)

The Gallardo Spyder are like Hyundais in Miami. Like Will Smith said in his Welcome to Miami song.... "hundred thousand dollar cars everybodys got em"

The reason why I picked the Giulia... no one is driving them here in Miami and I stand out in a crowd of Ferraris and Lamborginis and Mercedes. :)

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
That's why I am looking for a hybrid pneumatic suspension system for my Q4. Lowered when I want it lower, raised when I need it raised. I haven't even heard a rumor of such a thing under development yet. Maybe I will have to design my own and have parts fabricated...

One of the issues with changing suspension heights is that A arms, links and shocks have a limited range of movement. It is common for manufacturers to use different A arms, links and shocks when they spec a change in height of a vehicle such as RWD versus Q4 Giulia. Ignoring this may result in "bad things" happening, like half-shafts hitting suspension components, shocks hitting end travel and breaking, and A-arms/links being forced passed their design position limits and getting bent or broken. Anything more than a small change in suspension height needs a lot of careful study before proceeding.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's why I am looking for a hybrid pneumatic suspension system for my Q4. Lowered when I want it lower, raised when I need it raised. I haven't even heard a rumor of such a thing under development yet. Maybe I will have to design my own and have parts fabricated...

One of the issues with changing suspension heights is that A arms, links and shocks have a limited range of movement. It is common for manufacturers to use different A arms, links and shocks when they spec a change in height of a vehicle such as RWD versus Q4 Giulia. Ignoring this may result in "bad things" happening, like half-shafts hitting suspension components, shocks hitting end travel and breaking, and A-arms/links being forced passed their design position limits and getting bent or broken. Anything more than a small change in suspension height needs a lot of careful study before proceeding.
So are you recommending against trying the RWD Eibach springs on a Q4? I was about to give it a shot. There isn't too much to lose but a few hundred bucks....

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
So are you recommending against trying the RWD Eibach springs on a Q4? I was about to give it a shot. There isn't too much to lose but a few hundred bucks....
No, I am saying I don't know if it is a good idea or not. I suspect the same is true of Eibach. They will say the springs are not for Q4 if they don't know that they will work safely and properly. Of course if they know the springs won't work, they will say exactly the same thing. I think this is largely an issue of how adventurous you want to be. You might want to make some measurements on your suspension as well.

To some degree the Eibach variable rate springs are a more complex change than the change I want of replacing a linear rate spring with 2 more-or-less linear rate springs. The variable rate spring makes it harder for the suspension to hit the stops. Also, the more height change you want the greater the chance of running into problems.

Consider how to lift a Subaru Impreza a lot. You DON'T change the springs, since you can only gain about 1" that way before problems start happening. Instead you swap out the A-arms for units with different geometry. Swap in Subaru Forrester A-arms and then stuff bigger wheels into the now more generous wheel well and you have a Subaru Crosstrek, sitting about 2.5 inches higher than an Impreza.

If the Eibach's are supposed to drop a Q2 by 1" they will drop a Q4 front by 2". That is a lot of change and caution is advisable.

There are various ways to measure the range of suspension movement. Jacking the car up should reveal the downward limit (wrong direction for what you want to do). I was told that a heavy cargo strap can be used to see how far things can go in the upward direction, at least if you can find appropriate places to attach it. You might need to do this is small increments while also swinging the wheel right and left and turning the wheel/tire to check that the half-shaft doesn't hit anything as it spins. Pulling the spring out could make this a lot easier, unless spring binding is used as the stop in the upward direction. Especially in the front, the right and left sides may be different so more measuring.

Although the springs are relatively inexpensive, if they don't fit properly they may cause damage to parts that are a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks good! Front is maybe a bit low for my taste, but the rear is spot on for me!

I just heard back from Eibach regarding Q4 specific springs:
"Springs are now in production and should be available in February 2018. Our catalogue will be updated very soon. There you will find all necessary information."

1 - 20 of 54 Posts