Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some ground rules I would like for everyone to follow while posting;

Goal
To get personal opinion of folks that have tried both tunes, either by ownership or driving another Giulia with a different tune than yours. What differences have you noticed as far as performance and smoothness of tune?

Rules
  • Please don't turn this into a pissing match, please be respectful
  • Please list your modifications when posting or ensure they're added to your signature
  • Spectators feel free to comment but do not deviate from the topic

P.S I've combed through the threads, forum search, and google search with no clear personal opinion stated with people that have owned/driven both tunes.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I respect the rules. But one obvious difference is EC was suppose to get real data months ago and hasn’t. So I would say squadra is obvious winner. Best tuner is the one who cares and is available.
This very reason why I started the thread. Next best close comparison is from folks that have tried both.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Squadra older tuner than EC and work more with Alfa many years
Squadra has real dyno graph
Squadra cheaper

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Squadra older tuner than EC and work more with Alfa many years
Squadra has real dyno graph
Squadra cheaper
Thank you. Looking for opinion regarding performance for people that have tried both. It will provide a bit different perspective vs. dynos and pricing. Older doesn't mean better as modern cars are nothing like they were 20 years ago and they are tuned differently.

·
Registered
Giulia 2.2 JTD Squadra Massimo 242HP!
119 Posts
I can only say Squadra made my car amazing! I have the 2.2 diesel and it went from 180HP to 242HP! My old 159 had 120HP and went to 160! It drives so good with the Squadra tune!

·
Vendor
3,423 Posts
Thank you. Looking for opinion regarding performance for people that have tried both. It will provide a bit different perspective vs. dynos and pricing. Older doesn't mean better as modern cars are nothing like they were 20 years ago and they are tuned differently.
I will say this, HP and Torque are fairly close between all tuners as there is not much to gain from this motor, period. HP and TQ is the easy part, espeically when you buy a tune from someone else. Many tunes are bought and sold between tuners, some do nothing more than put their name on it, some tweak it and make it worse or maybe make it better. Squadra's is made in house from scratch. Everything is their own stuff. They had to wait two years on the QV tune due to not have a car to do thoroughly testing on. They finally bought one in 2018, then spent about a year on tuning it right before offering it.

I would not call them 'old' I'd say they are more experienced. Much more experienced than many of the tuners out there now and much more specific to the brand, so they know alfa's in's and out's better than most. It's not like they stayed in the past and did not keep up with all things new. They are highly trained and educated, they are the ones who came out with the loggers and exhaust control dongles for these cars that do an insane amount of things through the OBD port and CANBUS. I'd say they are on top of it more so than most tuners out there.

Now, although they may be fairly equal in power, that does not mean they are all the equal. What squadra does with adjustments is important. The tune itself is important. You can read about all of them here:

I have driven cars with other tunes and can say that the squadra is smoother and feels much more powerful/quick even with tunes claiming more because as we know, claims are not everything. Squadra is a ethical and transparent company, this is why we worked with them for 20+ years now. Tuning Old alfa's to the new ones. They are 100% reliable. To date, since using Squadra back in 1999, we have had 0 issues, most tunes are still being used out there today. I sold my 1991 164 in 2019 with a 18 year Squadra tune on it.

Do your homework as you should. Search for issues with both, google about both, a few minutes doing that alone will provide a lot of information.

If you decide on Squadra I actually answer the phone and emails if you have questions or concerns, that said you won't. I only have customers emailing me telling me how much they love the tune.

Hope that helps.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will say this, HP and Torque are fairly close between all tuners as there is not much to gain from this motor, period. HP and TQ is the easy part, espeically when you buy a tune from someone else. Many tunes are bought and sold between tuners, some do nothing more than put their name on it, some tweak it and make it worse or maybe make it better. Squadra's is made in house from scratch. Everything is their own stuff. They had to wait two years on the QV tune because did not have a car to do thoroughly testing on. They finally bought one in 2018, then spent about a year on tuning it right before offering it.

I would not call them 'old' I'd say they are more experienced. Much more experienced than many of the tuners out there now and much more specific to the brand, so they know alfa's in's and out's better than most. It's not like they stayed in the past and did not keep up with all things new. They are highly trained and educated, they are the ones who came out with the loggers and exhaust control dongles for these cars that do an insane amount of things through the OBD port and CANBUS. I'd say they are on top of it more so than most tuners out there.

Now, although they may be fairly equal in power, that does not mean they are all the same. What squadra does with adjustments is important. You can read about all of them here:

I have driven cars with other tunes and can say that the squadra is smoother and feels much more powerful/quick even with tunes claiming more because as we know, claims are not everything. Squadra is a ethical and transparent company, this is why we worked with them for 20+ years now. Tuning Old alfa's to the new ones. They are 100% reliable. To date, since using Squadra back in 1999, we have had 0 issues, most tunes are still being used out there today. I sold my 1991 164 in 2019 with a 18 year Squadra tune on it.

Do your homework as you should. Search for issues with both, google about both, a few minutes doing that alone will provide a lot of information.

If you decide on Squadra I actually answer the phone and emails if you have questions or concerns, that said you won't. I only have customers emailing me telling me how much they love the tune.

Hope that helps.

Ciao
Appreciate the background. Yes, more experienced is better than years on the trade. Two very different data points. Homework has been completed, I'm looking for real world experience between the tunes.

If the driving you did with other tuners is fresh in your brain and butt Dyno, I welcome you to elaborate more... That's what I'm looking for and I'm sure other forum members are as well.

·
Vendor
3,423 Posts
Appreciate the background. Yes, more experienced is better than years on the trade. Two very different data points. Homework has been completed, I'm looking for real world experience between the tunes.

If the driving you did with other tuners is fresh in your brain and butt Dyno, I welcome you to elaborate more... That's what I'm looking for and I'm sure other forum members are as well.
It felt stronger and smoother throughout the power band. The power is felt on the low end very well compared to the other. The other is noticeable but not as refined in my opinion (biased or not). I have had many swap over and a few shops use us over the other due to many issues with the other. You could definitely feel the difference between them on the same car without any other mods. Race-mode really makes the car fly. We tune for that too so it's a win win with this car. Compared to the other tune, it is noticeable right away. The power and TQ seem about the same but the way squadra tunes, it just seems smoother and more refined. As if this is how it should have come from the factory.

Many folks have it and I hope they chime in. Ciao

·
Registered
400 Posts
First of all there's not much more power to gain out this engine with only a tune, using 93 octane gives you about as big as a gain as a tune, combine both and now you're in business, combine that with a BMC air filter and you're pretty much peaked out unless you get a bigger turbo, Anyways, I've had both EC P1 and tried the P2 tune and both of those tunes did some really weird stuff, I even had the car go into limp mode, it didn't feel right at times.
Squadra feels factory but with more power, feels consistent more often and most important NO PROBLEMS. I would honestly tell anyone to go with the Squadra tune.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just to confirm - with Squadra, you send in the whole ECU to be flashed? Do dealer updates effect it?

·
Vendor
3,423 Posts
Just to confirm - with Squadra, you send in the whole ECU to be flashed? Do dealer updates effect it?
Yes, or you can do the powergate option.

Sending me the ECU we bench tune. Using the powergate is a flash tune. (SGW needed on 02-2018> cars)

No, it will not effect it. Most likely there are no more updates for these cars. You should be fine. In-case of something happening, I keep all files here, so I can re-tune it. EDIT: forgot to mention if you have the powergate, you can flash tune it again no problem.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nobody else has tried both tunes?

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried EC P2 :D
Thanks Sniz. Reading your other thread you never really had EC tune working well from what I understood in the thread.

·
Vendor
3,423 Posts
It is unlikely that you will find many that have done both tunes.
Alfissimo mentions both tunes.
But he also is a vendor that sells the Squadra tune. That has to be taken into account with his review.
I have had 2 customers come to me to switch, there could be more that I am not aware of. I have no idea if they are on here or not. 1 car I did drive so I have my comparisons of both. The other was an ECU sent to me. Of course I did not have the car long enough to fully test it but there are some differences right off the bat, one of them being smoothness in acceleration. Again though, all these tunes out there can all reach the same HP/TQ. That is the easy part. The mapping and adjustments are something that takes real knowledge, experience, testing and skill.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had 2 customers come to me to switch, there could be more that I am not aware of. I have no idea if they are on here or not. 1 car I did drive so I have my comparisons of both. The other was an ECU sent to me. Of course I did not have the car long enough to fully test it but there are some differences right off the bat, one of them being smoothness in acceleration. Again though, all these tunes out there can all reach the same HP/TQ. That is the easy part. The mapping and adjustments are something that takes real knowledge, experience, testing and skill.
Appreciate it Alfissimo, really looking for a customer's review of both.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts