Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

Newbie to the Alfa world. I ordered a 2018 QV in Trofeo White and I got word from my dealer that the car has arrived in Halifax.

The countdown is on! I'm in Canada so it might take a little longer.

Previously, speed wise anyway, I've owned two Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcats (2015 and 2017) and one 2014 Dodge Viper T/A.

Background there because it sometimes creates questions... I had ordered a 2015 Challenger Hellcat custom from factory. I sold it after a year and picked up a previously unregistered full warranty 2014 T/A model (I took delivery in Sept 2015). Drove that for a year and then reordered my second Hellcat. Sold that and ordered an Alfa once year two models were available to order, Having been the guinea pig on the Hellcat first year.. i wanted to make sure some small issues for the QV were ironed out. Hopefully they are.

So why go back to a Hellcat from a Viper? the Viper is purpose built, and I don't have time to track it. Amazing car, made you feel like a rockstar for sure. The Hellcat was/is a boat.. but a fun boat. A really, really fun boat. I loved the speed and agility of the Viper but two seats and limited trunk room made for a weekend car at best. The Challenger on the other hand, checked most of the boxes but so heavy. Cornering at any speed was like rolling the dice. I was always able to get the power to the ground in the cat, drag slicks helped. In the Viper, even with 355's.. getting that power down was not always easy. The Viper felt faster but according to the 0-60 timers built into the car.. the Cat always bested it by .01 or .02 seconds (3.5-3.7 range). I don't expect the QV will be this quick, I plan on replacing the tires ASAP. I am no stranger to upsizing to get the right fit.. what are people doing generally? Pilot Sport Cup 2?

Fingers crossed.. will check back with photos when it's possible!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nice!

Yeah, the QV will be much closer to Viper than Hellcat on the FCA product spectrum!

Power numbers always get all the attention, but it's really all about how a car handles/steers, IMO.

I'm looking to go wider with summer wheel/tire set too, but might be limited by what can fit/availability of wheels in atypical Alfa Romeo bolt pattern.

Rear is already 19x10 wheel with 295 wide tire... Other members have said that there isn't much more room, I suppose deceasing offset would help, not sure what stock offset is...

I'm more optimistic about increase front wheel/tire width as OEM is relatively narrow. Going wider would improve turn-in/decrease understeer, correct? Camaro ZL1 and the like seem to do well with steamrollers up front as well as back.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I plan on replacing the tires ASAP. I am no stranger to upsizing to get the right fit.. what are people doing generally? Pilot Sport Cup 2?
Why are you changing the tires? I only ask because the OEM Corsa's do need to be used above 45º but are about the stickiest thing you can get that are road legal in the QV's size.You seem pretty acceleration oriented. They only have a tread wear rating of 60 but the grip will be hard to beat on these. If it's performance you care most about you probably won't do much better even if you go wider on the Pilot's. If the temperature thing is an issue that's understandable. I plan on getting another set of wheels later this year to put winter tires on and swap them in the fall to keep the Corsa's for the good weather and prolong their life a bit by platooning them...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the world of Alfas.
You have had some interesting cars. I went out to buy a Porsche and there was an Alfa dealer on the way.
Upon buying it, the sales guy said that I would drive Alfas for many years.
It was a Giulietta Spider and it was in September 1965.

:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Nice history of vehicles, at least now you can have some more refined driving experience, but just maybe not as much raw power.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Welcome. You must be a good driver to have tracked the Viper. Most of the track day events I went to with Vipers, those guys spent most of the time in the grass. Those beasts are hard to tame.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome. You must be a good driver to have tracked the Viper. Most of the track day events I went to with Vipers, those guys spent most of the time in the grass. Those beasts are hard to tame.
Thank you but I'm alright, I'm sure many here are far better. Thing with the Vipers.. prior to 2013 they had no safety anything. haha No traction control, stability control, nothing. In 2013 they added all that and it's variable so you can have some on, some off etc (not like QV) so when you were feeling confident, you could disable everything. When you were unsure, you could be as safe as you wanted and the car only kicked in to save you if it was needed.

I needed it twice, but I never turfed the car. Scared myself a couple times, I can't wait to see what the QV is like!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you changing the tires? I only ask because the OEM Corsa's do need to be used above 45º but are about the stickiest thing you can get that are road legal in the QV's size.You seem pretty acceleration oriented. They only have a tread wear rating of 60 but the grip will be hard to beat on these. If it's performance you care most about you probably won't do much better even if you go wider on the Pilot's. If the temperature thing is an issue that's understandable. I plan on getting another set of wheels later this year to put winter tires on and swap them in the fall to keep the Corsa's for the good weather and prolong their life a bit by platooning them...
I agree the Corsa is incredible. I had them on my Viper, 355's.. I just remember them being soft and pricey. I assumed Pilot Sport 2's or the new 4 might be a better all around, but again, no knowledge on Pilots. Thanks for the heads up about width though, I wondered about jumping up on size, if it'd be worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts