Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Closing in on my first month with an '18 Ti AWD with sport package in Montecarlo Blue. Was looking for something a little more comfortable, grownup, and unique than my MK7 GTI and this car has delivered on all fronts. Plus they're so rare in Rochester, it really feels like a super special boutique car. On to my questions!

I test drove a bunch of cars that have auto brake hold, where the car holds the brake for you once it comes to a stop. The Giulia definitely does not have this feature, however the "auto park brake" functionality seems like it can be used in a similar fashion, albeit requiring you to manually engage it when you want it to hold. I have found myself using it at lights that I know will be very long, and it's been pretty convenient, just driving away once it turns green. Obviously, this will result in more wear on the e-brake system, but I would think is harmless otherwise, right? In the GTI, such behavior would wear the clutches in the DSG, but the Giulia's torque converter should have no problem idling in drive, correct? Anyone else using the parking brake like this?

Also, perhaps my only learning curve with the car is with the wild-child ZF transmission tuning. The first two or three shifts when the car is cold are VERY rough. Everyone complains about dual clutches not being smooth, but my Giulia really slams into second and sometimes third gear after a cold start, shaking the car noticeably. This has been a little embarrassing when showing the car off. The shifts are also pretty rough when driving spiritedly in dynamic mode, which a few publications mention, so it seems like it's operating correctly. I find it interesting because the manual shifts in Neutral mode are much smoother but still plenty fast. It would be good to see AR embrace a fourth (or fifth for QV) custom drive mode so I could get the transmission mapping of Neutral with the throttle and steering response of Dynamic. I've read a few people discuss the "T57" update helping, however I would assume my vehicle already has this, given that it was off the truck 3 days when I purchased it last month? How might I check?

Either way, in love with the car and very much looking forward to being part of the community!

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
I hold the pedal at lights, and I live in AZ so we have no hills-

as for the trans, mine does that for the first few shifts cold. I attribute it to cold fluid, doesn't bother me. I've had many cars that do that.

rjp

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
We have a 2017 Ti. The shifting is a bit rough until the transmission warms up. Drive a bit more gentle until the car warms up, or choose A Mode.

I can't speak for the 18 MY, but our 17 MY has two different brake functions. One is user adjustable, the other might not be.

- Hill hold. This holds the brake for you while stopped on a hill. It gives the driver time to take their foot off the brake and start to accelerate. It won't hold the car for more than a few seconds. I don't recall seeing a user adjustment for this.

- Auto Brake (or something like that). This is user adjustable in the Infotainment Center. This automatically sets / releases the parking brake when the driver set/releases the park position. I've disabled ours so that the driver has to enable/disable the parking brake.

I'm not real clear about what you're asking about in regards to the brake though.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shifting isn't a huge deal, definitely part of the car's character and good to know it will always give you the gear you ask.

As for the brakes, in the Accord Sport and Stinger GT I tested, when you pull up to a light and the car comes to a complete stop, it will hold the car at the stop when you take your foot off the brake, until you press the accelerator again. This is generally referred to as "auto brake hold" and is found in more and more cars as American drivers get more and more lazy. It will also become more common as electric cars take over, given that they don't have to creep forward like gas vehicles.

I did find the feature was kind of convenient and I have started engaging the Giulia's parking brake at long lights, because it will auto release when the accelerator is pressed, similar to auto brake hold. I was just wondering if I was the only person doing this. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Jeez guys, you can't hold the brake at a light? Complacency is the beginning of domination>:)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
When you stop and hold the foot brake down, the transmission shifts into neutral. I'm not sure what the transmission does with the parking brake set and the car in gear.

The Giulia has an Auto Start/Stop feature. When you stop and hold the foot brake down, the engine will turn off until you release the foot brake. There is a button on the dash to disable this. By default, it's in Auto Start/Stop mode each time you restart the car.

I'm not a huge fan of the Auto Start/Stop, but each driver should know about it and how it wants to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.