Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In dynamic mode flooring the pedal and when letting up the rev's stay high over 4K for awhile. It does not in other modes, this is the 2.0 TI. Is this normal?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, that's the intent of Dynamic. To keep the revs high for better response and minor/quick adjustments. It mimics holding a gear with the paddle shifters in full manual mode. If you're in a gear and back off lightly in a corner, then want to get right back into the throttle, you want the re-engage the throttle near the point where you let off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's a ZF (German) transmission but I suspect Alfa had some inputs on it's behavior in dynamic mode. It's one of the things I love about the car, especially on a twisty road.

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If you play with all of the DNA modes (in auto), you'll find that they all have different shift logic patterns. A mode is a lazy lump. D mode is the most aggressive. Around town, I find N mode to be my favorite.

My Ti has paddles, but you can also use the joystick to manually shift the car. It responds differently to manual input depending on the DNA mode.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
If you play with all of the DNA modes (in auto), you'll find that they all have different shift logic patterns. A mode is a lazy lump. D mode is the most aggressive. Around town, I find N mode to be my favorite.

My Ti has paddles, but you can also use the joystick to manually shift the car. It responds differently to manual input depending on the DNA mode.
Very true. D mode makes the shifts very jerky especially gears 1 to 2. the N is my favorite mode to be in as well especially with city driving. The shifts are not even noticeable in N mode. If you are changing gears manually while in D, the shifts are almost instantaneous. However, if you manually change gears in while in N there is very slight delay.

One thing I noticed for those who have the paddles and those who dont. You can be on auto and tap on the paddles and it becomes manual as long as their is continued input on the paddles. After a few seconds of no input, it goes back to automatic mode. You cannot do this with cars that dont have the paddles because you have to move the Gear Selector to the side to engage or disengage the manual mode.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Very true. D mode makes the shifts very jerky especially gears 1 to 2. the N is my favorite mode to be in as well especially with city driving. The shifts are not even noticeable in N mode. If you are changing gears manually while in D, the shifts are almost instantaneous. However, if you manually change gears in while in N there is very slight delay.

One thing I noticed for those who have the paddles and those who dont. You can be on auto and tap on the paddles and it becomes manual as long as their is continued input on the paddles. After a few seconds of no input, it goes back to automatic mode. You cannot do this with cars that dont have the paddles because you have to move the Gear Selector to the side to engage or disengage the manual mode.
Yes. To me, it seems more like about 15 seconds before it switches back to full auto and rethinks the current gear choice. On something like a long downhill run and I've downshifted for engine braking, it will hold that lower gear until the load has been relieved. This could be because I'm on the flats again or because I've given it some gas.

For what it's worth, I think the paddles should be standard on all Giulias.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I happen to like N mode in manual with my Novitech Gp1 on red mostbof the time. The benefit is it will upshift as in automatic mode right at the perfect time, yet you can still downshift at will.
Aside from that i use D mode with red on the GP1, the only problem is redline come up so fast that the rev limiter kicks in early as Im still getting used to shifting wothout checking the tach.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You can shift into second while stopped and it will start in second. First is so low it's what I call 'granny gear', others call it 'parade gear'.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I generally keep it in D, and use the paddles. You're right, first is very low, but I find that I can shift up through the gears quickly using the paddles. Must admit that, until I read a few posts on here, I didn't realize that it would happily take off in second. I do love the control that I have with the paddles, but I'm still learning which gear I 'need' to be in for different conditions and speeds! Not used to having 8 to choose from, generally only had 6! Mind, the engine does seem to have enough torque to pull out of a corner in a higher gear.

Beyond that, I've been starting out in A or N, and I try to end the journey in A or N, letting the engine and turbo cool off with some gentle driving.

One thought that I had was, D gives me the best response. I've read a few posts where folk are saying that they like to keep it in N or even A. But what if you want a quick burst of speed on the freeway, to get clear of some traffic? Keeping the car in mode D gives me that responsiveness, a quick blip down two gears with the left paddle, I'm past the traffic, and then ease back and cruise.

Reactions: alfa55

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
ZF has another nice feature, regardless of mode make a quick short jab at throttle pedal and it will downshift immediatelly (I am talking short quick jab not flooring it for kick down like on old autos)...on audi I can verify that if you jabbed it twice it would downshift two gears, comes handy when needed if you do not have paddles

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
ZF has another nice feature, regardless of mode make a quick short jab at throttle pedal and it will downshift immediatelly (I am talking short quick jab not flooring it for kick down like on old autos)...on audi I can verify that if you jabbed it twice it would downshift two gears, comes handy when needed if you do not have paddles
Like a speed shift with a manual? I'll give it a try as soon as I get my car (which is not soon :-(

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a base RWD and in Dynamic with the gearing low and the revs high it just carves up the local canyon roads in the Los Angeles area. So awesome. Barely need to use the brakes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good to know, thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I must confess that I'm really not that familiar with auto 'box features, more used to manual gearboxes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A tip, when you use the paddles the car will stay in manual mode a little too long for my tastes. You can force it back into drive by holding the right paddle (upshift).

·
Registered
5 Posts
In N mode, the car drives like an Audi with better steering and a slight engine rumble. I traded in my Audi seeking proper steering, driving excitemen, and a visceral experience.

I keep mine in D for the engine response, but set the damper button on soft in everyday traffic Andy on the freeway. I switch to sport dampers for curves and roundabouts.

My mileqge has dropped, I'm averaging 19.6mpg (80% surface streets) but I'm having a blast. Exactly what I was seeking.

Love my QV!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
One thing that I like in my BMW that doesn't happen on the Giulia although they carry the same ZF transmission:
When I would move over the shifter left to engage manual stick shifting, automatically, the transmission would shift one gear down (usually from gear 8 down to 7, then I would push one or two down and I would be in 5 or 6 in seconds, that was ideal for me).

That would be a nice bulletin rev.....just my thoughts....

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
One thing that I like in my BMW that doesn't happen on the Giulia although they carry the same ZF transmission:
When I would move over the shifter left to engage manual stick shifting, automatically, the transmission would shift one gear down (usually from gear 8 down to 7, then I would push one or two down and I would be in 5 or 6 in seconds, that was ideal for me).

That would be a nice bulletin rev.....just my thoughts....
But I use the manual shift mode on my Subaru to force the transmission to stay in top gear when I know that I don't need a lot of power. I can see the road ahead while the ECU/TCU cannot. I can get a bit better fuel economy using this trick. I dunno if "A" will achieve the same thing on Giulia (my car is on order).

On Giulia you are supposed to be able to pull and hold the downshift paddle to get multiple downshifts quickly. Likewise with the upshift paddle. I haven't had a chance to try it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
In N mode, the car drives like an Audi with better steering and a slight engine rumble. I traded in my Audi seeking proper steering, driving excitemen, and a visceral experience.

I keep mine in D for the engine response, but set the damper button on soft in everyday traffic Andy on the freeway. I switch to sport dampers for curves and roundabouts.

My mileqge has dropped, I'm averaging 19.6mpg (80% surface streets) but I'm having a blast. Exactly what I was seeking.

Love my QV!
Just checked today and over 2,500 miles have acieved an average of 13.7mpg

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
:wink2:Oh my God, I can't imagine life without paddles

·
Registered
285 Posts
Digging up this old thread. I'm looking at a Giulia after a long time of looking at Mercedes and I have a deposit on one. It's been a long time since I've driven a Giulia, but with a Ti Sport in "Dynamic" mode and having activated the paddles, will it upshift at redline automatically? Will it kickdown automatically if you are in a higher gear and then you floor the pedal? Or is it a true manual mode?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts