Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using this DV+ ?

I know the website say quicker response on throttle and boost but I would like to hear from someone actually running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Don't think anyone is actually running this right now on our cars. I heard there were some issues with regard to fitment.

Having torn a diverter valve on a previous car, this product is useful to ensure you can hold increased boost pressure over stock. I wouldn't necessarily look at it as a performance product, more of a preventative issue product.

580 Posts
chaiguy is correct. It's not exactly a performance improving product, especially not on a car with an automatic transmission. However the stock part is pretty flimsy. The GFB part holds up well and just doesn't have any issues. It responds faster, and seals better (meaning it doesn't leak as much as the stock part).

As far as fitting one on a 2.0 Giulia is concerned, it can be done. Jordan's car has one. It's a standard Fiat Abarth type but with special long through bolts and nuts to secure it.

Greg

·
Registered
256 Posts
chaiguy is correct. It's not exactly a performance improving product, especially not on a car with an automatic transmission. However the stock part is pretty flimsy. The GFB part holds up well and just doesn't have any issues. It responds faster, and seals better (meaning it doesn't leak as much as the stock part).

As far as fitting one on a 2.0 Giulia is concerned, it can be done. Jordan's car has one. It's a standard Fiat Abarth type but with special long through bolts and nuts to secure it.

Greg
Is it advisable to upgrade the DV with a tune.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Is it advisable to upgrade the DV with a tune.
It's not at all necessary. With the tune, I suggest an Intake, either a V1 with a filter upgrade or a V2 (I prefer the V2), and an improved exhaust (we are using Centerline/Magnaflow. The next mod I would do is the Pedal Pro, that really allows you do dial in the pedal sensitivity to your liking, and the FTL mode is fun. After that, maybe I would change out the Diverter valve, but I would likely wait until I needed to. The only reason we did it on Jordan's car was for testing.

Greg

·
Registered
316 Posts

Greg
How difficult is this to install on a 2.0 Giulia? Will you be able to sell me one? Thanks!

B

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I run forged Motorsport DV from EC on my quad. After tune and 200cel cat we decided to throw a better valve on that’s not cheap plastic. The one in the pic looks similar to stock and that’s not really an improvement. I guess if you’re even asking about a DV you’re most likely modding car...The metal DV is what you want if your gonna run it hard and upgrade turbos at some point. Made sense for me since I’m planning to upgrade turbos at some point.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
They're now available on the website for 2.0 engines. Working now with GFB to confirm fitment on the quads. Stay tuned. Just had one installed on my 2.0 and love it. It's a butt dyno but it definitely feels snappier.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
They're now available on the website for 2.0 engines. Working now with GFB to confirm fitment on the quads. Stay tuned. Just had one installed on my 2.0 and love it. It's a butt dyno but it definitely feels snappier.
is there a US distributor that we can buy from?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
i wasn't able to find one. Shipping is not bad at all and the exchange rate is in USD favor. I got mine in about 3 days after it was shipped.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
It will make a bit of farty noise when you gently let off the throttle, at least if you also have the EC V2 intake. Nothing obnoxious, but a bit of a "what the heck was that" kind of noise.

The sound is the twin spring valve letting the intake pressure down slowly by oscillating the piston. You can actually see this if you add a boost gauge (I used torque). If you jump back on the throttle while this is happening you will get some "instant boost" that you would not get with the stock valve.

My OEM valve failed (momentarily stuck shut--a condition that can damage a lot of things). There is a TSB for it and an improved valve is available. I think one other forum member has had the OEM valve fail. I believe the DV+ is made from superior materials and is less likely to cause such problems.

Do be extremely careful to keep the valve clean and avoid scratching the piston. During the installation process it is easy to let the piston drop out and damage it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Shipment from Australia to Austria was very fast.

Installed it yesterday without any hiccups.
I did it mainly for peace of mind - knowing that it won't break as quickly as the OEM plastic pieces.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My OEM valve failed (momentarily stuck shut--a condition that can damage a lot of things). There is a TSB for it and an improved valve is available.
I can't find any TSB about the diverter valve, and the valve has never been changed since May 2016. Can you provide a link?

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I can't find any TSB about the diverter valve, and the valve has never been changed since May 2016. Can you provide a link?
The dealer did not provide a TSB number, although maybe it was on the work order and I just did not read it carefully enough. I never had a chance to compare the old and new parts. There is a procedure in the service manual to eliminate all other sources of trouble that is supposed to be followed before replacing the valve. The dealer refused to do the work until I removed my EC V2 intake and restored the car to "stock".

Eurocompulsion told me that they were aware of the design revision. Since this valve is used on a wide range of FCA vehicles, perhaps the notice of the revision went to a wider audience than just AR service techs?

In my car the valve would only stick after sustained high throttle (requires a long steep incline) at altitude (about 1000 meters in my case) followed by a rapid drop to no throttle. There is no place near any SF bay area dealership suitable to conduct such a test. The car throws a CEL and goes into limp mode; what I nice way to show off Alfa performance in front of the line of cars that I just passed...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The dealer did not provide a TSB number, although maybe it was on the work order and I just did not read it carefully enough. I never had a chance to compare the old and new parts. There is a procedure in the service manual to eliminate all other sources of trouble that is supposed to be followed before replacing the valve. The dealer refused to do the work until I removed my EC V2 intake and restored the car to "stock".

Eurocompulsion told me that they were aware of the design revision. Since this valve is used on a wide range of FCA vehicles, perhaps the notice of the revision went to a wider audience than just AR service techs?
My point is that there is no trace of a part number change for the valve, neither in the European parts catalogue nor in the USA one. It's always been part number 50051596 (FCA US p/n 04893902AB). In addition to the Giulia and Stelvio, this part is also used on the Jeep Wrangler (JL), Jeep Cherokee (KL) and Jeep Grand Commander (K8), ranging from the 2018 to the 2020 model year, which further confirms it's not a superseded part.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
My point is that there is no trace of a part number change for the valve, neither in the European parts catalogue nor in the USA one. It's always been part number 50051596 (FCA US p/n 04893902AB). In addition to the Giulia and Stelvio, this part is also used on the Jeep Wrangler (JL), Jeep Cherokee (KL) and Jeep Grand Commander (K8), ranging from the 2018 to the 2020 model year, which further confirms it's not a superseded part.
Understood. I do not have the information about the valve that was original to my car. I presume there was a 04893902AA and if so, when was it used?
The work order may or may not have any information about a TSB number, but it is definitely buried in a pile of other stuff.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Perhaps TSB reflects a problem with particular mfg lot of the same part number, and those sub-standard parts are now out of the FCA supply chain. That happens pretty frequently, and doesn't necessitate a new part number, as our beloved MacGeek suggests. Just thinking out loud... no new facts here.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts