Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had to share how not to drive your QV with your three friends onboard. I was in San Jose yesterday and was at an intersection and immediately noticed a Vesuvio gray qv making a left turn, quickly. Before I know it, he’s sideways and I grab my phone. By the time I clicked a picture he had left a nice patch of rubber, trying to show his how he can tame those 505 horses, and was now turned around 180 degrees, heading the wrong direction. He ended up hitting the curb and probably damaged at least his passenger side rims and probably his nice front spoiler (I heard a nice crunch). This all happened around at lunch time yesterday (20-dec), so no traffic (I kid).
My advice to this guy is, go get some driving lessons after you get done with fixing the 6-8k worth of damage done. Good job asswipe, giving us responsible giulia owners a bad rap.

Attachments

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
The car somehow still manages to look cool, even when pointing the wrong direction after being driven by an apparent "dumbass.'

·
Registered
122 Posts
Idiot... Hope people in San Jose don't mistaken me in my Vesuvio Grey QV for this guy. Still waiting for delivery, hopefully very soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
LOL I think I know where this is. I frequent down there for work alot. Turning and hitting the gas in any high powered car is a recipe for disaster.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Two words: "Never Lift"

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
Wasn't even cars and coffee. I wonder whether his previous car was a Mustang. In addition to the damage mentioned he probably has to clean at least three seats.

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
I think this is an important reminder that you should try to learn your car's limits little by little, and preferably far away from crowds and traffic.

The QV is a ridiculously fun car, I can see how someone might get carried away, but it was obviously the wrong time and place.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wow! That is really sad.

I'm curious, which is correct, dumbass or dumb ass?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Alfa should partner with a racing school and offer a track day(with classroom for half of the day) to make sure new owners know how to handle this car. He was smart enough to buy the QV...let's hope he is smart enough to learn how to drive it responsibly.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Oh sweet baby Jesus! Dudes, I am now very glad I got my wheel and tire coverage today. And I have 4 words, not 2, "Roll on, roll off." From my Formula V racing instructor 4 years ago on my F430 Spider drive. It has served me well ever since. Especially with ASR off on the 360. Last night on my test drive, it was all I could do not to melt into a puddle of happy giggles, just popping through the gears mildly in Dynamic mode. :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
So Alfa is going to set up a race track day with a racing school in every major city in the country where they have a dealer?

How about the purchasers of a sports sedan with 505hp that goes 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and 190 mph take it upon themselves to learn how to properly drive a car like that in whatever mode if they are going to drive like they see in the movies.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had never owned a RWD car, or anything with 1/4 of the HP of my QV before I got it, but I'm smart enough to respect its power. I gave it some gas coming out of a corner in race mode my first day driving it, and could immediately tell that wasn't a great idea. I just fishtailed a little bit, but it was enough to learn my lesson. I can guarantee this guy had it in race mode and went to punch it as he was going through the turn. I'd feel so effing dumb if I sideswiped my QV into a curb, ugh. And I do intend on taking a high performance driving course of some sort when the weather warms up. Until then, I keep my fun time confined to straightaways.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,735 Posts
Had to share how not to drive your QV with your three friends onboard. I was in San Jose yesterday and was at an intersection and immediately noticed a Vesuvio gray qv making a left turn, quickly. Before I know it, he’s sideways and I grab my phone. By the time I clicked a picture he had left a nice patch of rubber, trying to show his how he can tame those 505 horses, and was now turned around 180 degrees, heading the wrong direction. He ended up hitting the curb and probably damaged at least his passenger side rims and probably his nice front spoiler (I heard a nice crunch). This all happened around at lunch time yesterday (20-dec), so no traffic (I kid).
My advice to this guy is, go get some driving lessons after you get done with fixing the 6-8k worth of damage done. Good job asswipe, giving us responsible giulia owners a bad rap.
What street was that? I guess there are more Giulias around than I see. I haven't yet seen a QV on the road.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think this was on brokaw and ridder park drive. Turning left on to brokaw from ridder.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So Alfa is going to set up a race track day with a racing school in every major city in the country where they have a dealer?

How about the purchasers of a sports sedan with 505hp that goes 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and 190 mph take it upon themselves to learn how to properly drive a car like that in whatever mode if they are going to drive like they see in the movies.
Let's see....Ferrari(Corso Piloti), BMW(M-School), Maserati (Maserati Masters), Porsche (Sport Driving School), Lotus(Driving Academy), Acura(Mid-Ohio Acura School), Jaguar(Jaguar Driving Academy) ALL offer schools....so, why not Alfa too - would show a serious commitment to heritage? It does not have to be in every city. I think many owners would travel to a regional race track to learn how to get the most out of their vehicle. It would also be a tremendous value-added incentive for Alfa to stress their racing heritage to those who unaware. Yes, it is possible - no doubt in my mind.

I agree there needs to be a level of responsibility on the owners too. The problem is there are simply not many classes that would train you on handling a rear drive, 500+ hp, vehicle. An Alfa school would be focused on the handling characteristics of our car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let's see....Ferrari(Corso Piloti), BMW(M-School), Maserati (Maserati Masters), Porsche (Sport Driving School), Lotus(Driving Academy), Acura(Mid-Ohio Acura School), Jaguar(Jaguar Driving Academy) ALL offer schools....so, why not Alfa too - would show a serious commitment to heritage? It does not have to be in every city. I think many owners would travel to a regional race track to learn how to get the most out of their vehicle. It would also be a tremendous value-added incentive for Alfa to stress their racing heritage to those who unaware. Yes, it is possible - no doubt in my mind.

I agree there needs to be a level of responsibility on the owners too. The problem is there are simply not many classes that would train you on handling a rear drive, 500+ hp, vehicle. An Alfa school would be focused on the handling characteristics of our car.
As others have said, it would be nice if Alfa had a driving school but I would wager the utilization would be pretty low. I find that most owners of high performance vehicles don't actually have a interest in truly learning how to drive their cars. The appeal is the performance but not actually accessing the performance. The tide is somewhat turning as it is getting less and less possible to utilize the performance of modern cars on the street so the track is becoming the only true viable option. If one is truly interested, there are national and regional organizations that do host High Performance Drivers Education (HPDE) that you could take your car of choice to.

-KJ

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts