Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I drove for about 1 mile with one bolt missing and for half of it I noticed something was amiss (not knowing the cause) because of harsh "hstch-hstch" noise produced as the wheel turned.
Do you think I might have damaged something in that short of period of time? It was actually the anti theft lug bolt missing and replaced it with a regular one without any prep - just bolted it in.

I know you''ll ask: Car had been transported by ship and customs broker alerted me to the fact that lugs were loose (or wheels taken out for the trip, I could not tell, his English was terrible). Car was transported to custom agent's yard and I told them to fix the bolts before taking delivery and driving off. They promptly forgot (or could not) fix the safety bolt and left it to God to take care of it.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,617 Posts
I suspect that all of the lugs were loose, since I think 2 lugs are sufficient to hold the wheel securely to the hub for low speed low g force movement. If you had noise I suspect that the wheel was pretty loose and that may mean that it rubbed something in the wheel well, rubbed the fender, and/or damaged the holes in the wheel. Some wiring cables run on the other side of the wheel wells, so careful inspection for rubbing is advisable.

The hub has a center protrusion that sticks out 4-5mm that is a tight fit to a center hole in the wheel. This carries the weight of the vehicle, not the lugs.

·
Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @lockem , always good advise ...
Funny thing is, I checked the other bolts and they were tight enough not to let the wheel loose. I am now thinking the noise might have been the bolt itself wriggling itself out. Wheel well looks clean as new. Anyway, tomorrow I'll have it checked at the dealer, I will drive cautiously the 5 miles to get there. Hopefully no surprises...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I suspect that all of the lugs were loose, since I think 2 lugs are sufficient to hold the wheel securely to the hub for low speed low g force movement. If you had noise I suspect that the wheel was pretty loose and that may mean that it rubbed something in the wheel well, rubbed the fender, and/or damaged the holes in the wheel. Some wiring cables run on the other side of the wheel wells, so careful inspection for rubbing is advisable.

The hub has a center protrusion that sticks out 4-5mm that is a tight fit to a center hole in the wheel. This carries the weight of the vehicle, not the lugs.
Hub centric wheels are for centering during installation and do not "carry the weight" of the wheel. The force generated by the lugs do. It's a long standing myth and pretty obvious once you think about it. Consider most hub centric wheel adapters sold are plastic also.

·
Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it could be, however when I drove off of the yard it was not there nor was there for the next 150 kms. Good to know though, I will have them check the guards tomorrow.
Thanks @shpuncik !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

I drove for about 1 mile with one bolt missing and for half of it I noticed something was amiss (not knowing the cause) because of harsh "hstch-hstch" noise produced as the wheel turned.
Do you think I might have damaged something in that short of period of time? It was actually the anti theft lug bolt missing and replaced it with a regular one without any prep - just bolted it in.

I know you''ll ask: Car had been transported by ship and customs broker alerted me to the fact that lugs were loose (or wheels taken out for the trip, I could not tell, his English was terrible). Car was transported to custom agent's yard and I told them to fix the bolts before taking delivery and driving off. They promptly forgot (or could not) fix the safety bolt and left it to God to take care of it.
If the remaining 4 were torqued to spec, I wouldn't be concerned. Of course I would replace it, but 4/5 is enough to get you to a dealer to get a new nut.

I drove for about a week on 4/5 lug nuts when I snapped the wheel stud changing tires after a track day (not an Alfa). I wouldn't take it to an HDPE short one lug nut, but a few miles around town will be fine.

·
Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the remaining 4 were torqued to spec, I wouldn't be concerned. Of course I would replace it, but 4/5 is enough to get you to a dealer to get a new nut.
Now I would not know what spec that is, but upon stopping I immediately replaced it with the original bolt the car came with. However, I was concerned because of the noise and this is strange because as you said 4/5 should be enough.

BTW, I like your nick ;)

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,617 Posts
Hub centric wheels are for centering during installation and do not "carry the weight" of the wheel. The force generated by the lugs do. It's a long standing myth and pretty obvious once you think about it. Consider most hub centric wheel adapters sold are plastic also.
It seems that "the web" confirms your assertion, but if the lugs are snug but not torqued, the weight of the vehicle will transfer through that hub center.
Of course things that are repeated and all over the web are not always right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now I would not know what spec that is, but upon stopping I immediately replaced it with the original bolt the car came with. However, I was concerned because of the noise and this is strange because as you said 4/5 should be enough.

BTW, I like your nick ;)
If you're feeling so inclined, jack up the car and try freely spinning the wheel and see if the noise persists, you may be able to track it down easier than while driving. Or, if you have the ability to do so, take it to the dealer.

Haha thanks, I must admit it is the result of a random word generator lol.

·
Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did my trip to the dealer but will not have the car looked at until tomorrow (first impressions in separate thread maybe)

However, I noticed the noise from the wheel this morning and not wanting to wait until tomorrow, I visited a local friend's workshop. His Syrian refugee technician did straighten something on the inside of the brake pads and sent me home. It took him 10 secs to bring me happiness. Don't ask me what he did exactly, his English is non existent, my Arabic rudimentary at best. Zero cost.
Clearly @shpuncik got it right. Something to do with transportation, either sea or from port to warehouse.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It seems that "the web" confirms your assertion, but if the lugs are snug but not torqued, the weight of the vehicle will transfer through that hub center.
Of course things that are repeated and all over the web are not always right.
Definitely agree on the web not always being right, this thread is a great example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.