Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..

I've recently ordered a 2018 QV in Montecarlo Blue with Black/white interior and green/white stitching. I'm super excited about it!

Having not previously owned a car as sporty or powereful as this one, and didn't really test drive it enough to understand its driving capabilities fully, I'm concerned that when I initially try it out in race mode I might be overwhelmed.

How careful should I be when driving in race mode given no traction control? Anything particular I need to be mindful of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd recommend you tread lightly and take as much driver education training as possible. The QV makes for a terrible autocross car IMO but autocross might just be the safest and most appropriate venue for you to gently explore the limits of your skills and your car's capabilities in a lower risk environment. Typically you might hit a few traffic cones and have to buff some black marks off your paint, although I've seen much worse happen.... Keep in mind your insurance will not cover any collision incidents that occur at an autocross event.

·
Registered
122 Posts
On the street I would avoid using RACE mode. If you are just looking for the exhaust sound there are a few mods to give you the full open exhaust sound without using RACE mode.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think its important to explore all aspects of your car in its various guises. All you need to do is be sensible about it. As some of the posts above advised...don't floor it in Race (especially in a corner) or pretend you are on a track when you're not. I put my QV in Race for much of the drive home from the dealer. Don't be afraid of it, but don't be crazy. You'll get a feel for it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
hey, you could always give yourself some time getting used to it one mode at a time, so you don't get a sudden revelation. nothing wrong with that - at all.

I do remember the first time I drove an early firebird 400 4 speed - I really wasn't ready for it coming from my own sporty car, and was quite lucly that it was merely embarrassing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the most important thing to remember is 500+hp is a ton of power. Modern cars do such a great job of disguising immense speed and although the car is extremely capable, in the wrong hands it can get lary. It's nothing to be afraid of however it's something you have to respect and build up to. There is nothing wrong with exploring the car's limits in a sensible environment or situation, that's what you bought it for after all.

Race mode I believe disables all the nannies and without proper training the thing will spin before you even know it's happening.

I am by no means a racing driver but having been to a couple of driving schools I cannot recommend them enough. It's a great opportunity to experience a powerful car at its limit in a safe place with likeminded people. Professional instruction will go a long way in improving your abilities and comfort in any car and situation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I drive mine in R mode all the time. IT is my default mode, after the motor and trans oils are fully up to operating temps. But I didn't start doing that until I had several thousand miles of seat time in learning to use the paddles and selecting the right gear depending in what my right foot is doing. Just use common sense as others have noted, and enjoy that wonderful chassis and motor.

·
Supporting Vendor
706 Posts
I did the full break-in period of our QV in Dynamic Mode. At the time, it felt like plenty.

It's only after I really started pushing the car that I was able to feel how much traction control intervention there is in Dynamic mode and I started using Race mode more often.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i too drive in race mode only. the fuel mileage is very poor but the thrills far exceed the cost to fill the tank. be careful. in cold weather you can find the tires breaking traction at very high speeds. mid corner you should be judicious w/ the throttle or you may find yourself going backwards at a high rate of speed.

be careful as 500+ hp is to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
440 Posts
In Race Mode you learn very quickly that you're not as good of a driver as you thought. :wink2:

Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I would suggest driving in D mode and manual to get a feel first.

The difference is that in D the computer will save you if you do something silly like punching it on wet pavement while making a right turn.

D mode is safer, R mode is a blast to drive in IF you have good car control skills.....

If you have never taken a driving or car control course, I highly suggest it....

R mode can be exhilarating and scary at the same time......engage it at your own risk......

P.S. I have found that the slides (oversteer) are very predictable and easily controllable if you have had training in car control...... good luck....

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yes, listen to the professor ^^^

In the words of my racing instructor (at the time he was in Formula V) "Roll on, roll off" the throttle. And in that F430 Spider with carbon brakes, "OK, no left foot braking for now." After I nearly broke our necks stabbing those puppies with an "Xbox left foot." :D

I drove in Race mode briefly, over a couple weeks for the sound and performance. The rear end kicked out on me once, leaving the detail shop after my wrap, cold, snow flurries, corsas, gravel. A simple lift and a little opposite steer and she settled right down. Wasn't going fast really at all but it did surprise me. A lot of it was due to stupid congested traffic and urban "driving culture" that required an aggressive merge if I want' to get into traffic some time that week. ;)

But now after I installed my Forza controller, and one long trip on the highway, I can drive in D, N or A mode no worries at all. Soft setting on the suspension is nice and the throaty roar and bark of the quad exhaust is super sweet, even in A mode, especially when the boost bypass valve closes at constant throttle, in gear. You get an extra bark out of the exhaust for free. :D

Reactions: BostonDMD and xgapx

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agree with many of the comments stated so far. For me one of the biggest surprises regarding power and control is the sensitivity of the Pirelli tires to temperature. They do not have much grip at all when cold (in other words, if you are wearing long sleeves, the tires will be slick). You may have seen that they are not even supposed to be used below 45F.

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
317 Posts
...also what noone has touched on is that in race mode the computer will keep the revs up and not up-shift much. So, once you punch it you're at 5-6k rpm for awhile and you really have to be reaching for the right paddle to bring it back under some control.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
...also what noone has touched on is that in race mode the computer will keep the revs up and not up-shift much. So, once you punch it you're at 5-6k rpm for awhile and you really have to be reaching for the right paddle to bring it back under some control.
R mode is meant to be engaged in manual mode
No need for computer to do anything except to engage the rev limiter if necessary......
R mode in automatic is, at least in my opinion, an oxymoron.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone for your messages. Seems like a sensbile approach to learn as I go within N and D modes initially to get a food feel of the car, and then R in safe areas initially.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What is the criteria to use the race mode? Mine is 600km now but I still can’t use the race mode.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts