Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ugh brought my QV home and was so concerned about the front end clearance and my driveway that i never even thought about the back end. reversing down the driveway scraped the fins on the rear diffuser. sounds stupid....but anyone have any ideas for a covering of any kind for the fins? or does anyone have experience with a curb bridge?

at some point in time now i'm likely to replace the diffuser. has anyone tried removing their's for whatever reason? i imagine it can't be too difficult...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
Not directly an answer to your question but, if you fish around in the owners manual you will find specifications for the maximum entry and exit angles for your car. I think this is under "emergency towing" or some such. You will need those numbers to determine if a curb bridge will work.

That is a pretty steep driveway.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Not directly an answer to your question but, if you fish around in the owners manual you will find specifications for the maximum entry and exit angles for your car. I think this is under "emergency towing" or some such. You will need those numbers to determine if a curb bridge will work.

That is a pretty steep driveway.
Just go with a bridge. Your bumper, splitter and front wheel well lips will thank you. I have Bridge-it curb ramps and only use 2 pieces separately and put them away every time I use them. I hide them behind a retaining wall and this keeps them out of the street for plows and curious pedestrians.

You may see if door edge guard will fit on the fins.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Vendor
698 Posts
at some point in time now i'm likely to replace the diffuser. has anyone tried removing their's for whatever reason? i imagine it can't be too difficult...
It's not too bad but there are a few hidden screws which fight you on the way off and the way back on.

It actually is easier to remove the entire rear bumper cover and diffuser together than to try and fight those hidden fasteners. This is how the factory recommends doing it in the workshop manual.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,789 Posts
Not directly an answer to your question but, if you fish around in the owners manual you will find specifications for the maximum entry and exit angles for your car. I think this is under "emergency towing" or some such.
Sounds like Jeep territory.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Growing up I had an even steeper driveway. The only thing that wouldn’t scape was Dad’s truck. I totally agree with Max on this. Take it at an angle, and you won’t scrape.
bridgit guys said no go on my driveway :crying:

my last 2 porsches could get up and down just about any driveway at any angle, so i've never given much thought to the proper way to do this. so...stupid question of the day. i want to enter as close to parallel the driveway entrance, correct? so that makes me think entering left to right (on the below picture) is the easiest way up? and following the same path (right to left in reverse) will be the best way down? i've been trying to do this on the empty side of the driveway.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Thankful for our level (and paved) blessings. People in our area who live on dirt roads manage to have nice cars.

Do any of you who are planning on staying in your house long-term have an excavation opportunity?

·
Registered
422 Posts

my last 2 porsches could get up and down just about any driveway at any angle, so i've never given much thought to the proper way to do this. so...stupid question of the day. i want to enter as close to parallel the driveway entrance, correct? so that makes me think entering left to right (on the below picture) is the easiest way up? and following the same path (right to left in reverse) will be the best way down? i've been trying to do this on the empty side of the driveway.

Looks perfect! The key is as Max says- to get one tire up or down the drive before the opposite one starts the process. I have a gravel entrance off off paved road, and take my time and try for about 45 deg angle and take it slowly to minimize suspensions movement. Let us know if it works for you.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Not really. Giulia QV has a max entry angle of 12 degrees (21%) and a max exit angle of 11 degrees (bottom of page 188 of the owners manual). For a Jeep it is more like 38 degrees.
I don't know the numbers for a Giulia RWD is 13 degrees entry, 17 degrees exit while Giulia Q4 is 15 degrees entry and 18 degrees exit (bottom of page 193 of the manual).

You need to know the numbers if you ever need to call for a tow truck so that you are certain to get a truck that can handle the vehicle. I believe "normal" flat bed tow trucks have a minimum angle of around 15-20 degrees, but I can't find numbers online.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Not really. Giulia QV has a max entry angle of 12 degrees (21%) and a max exit angle of 11 degrees (bottom of page 188 of the owners manual). For a Jeep it is more like 38 degrees.
I don't know the numbers for a Giulia RWD is 13 degrees entry, 17 degrees exit while Giulia Q4 is 15 degrees entry and 18 degrees exit (bottom of page 193 of the manual).

You need to know the numbers if you ever need to call for a tow truck so that you are certain to get a truck that can handle the vehicle. I believe "normal" flat bed tow trucks have a minimum angle of around 15-20 degrees, but I can't find numbers online.
Less about the specific numbers than the existence and availability of the data. I've never had, nor needed it, for any other car.

I installed a Flex-Dam on my 1981 Mazda GLC. While it dealt well with obstacles, I removed the rubber skirt in the winter to avoid being a snow plow.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
7,946 Posts

Park the Audi on the left so you can follow the line you marked?

On the Corvette forums (similar entry angle as Giulia QV exit angle) one person posted a picture of the wooden curb bridge that he made using plywood and ripped down 2x4s. The main idea being to bridge the dip that forms storm drain. It looks like a big hassle to put in place and remove each time it is needed, though.

There are also several manufacturers of pneumatic lift cups (one makes hydraulic lift cups) that are inserted between the top of the suspension and the suspension mount. These allow a temporary lift of the vehicle for going over obstacles and have the advantage of being available for dealing with obstacles anywhere. The part acts like a solid spacer when it is not lifting and require a small drop in the suspension to compensate. None of the systems are usable during normal driving, only for short term lift over obstacles since while lifting the extra spring action would seriously mess up your spring rate. Several very pricey cars have such systems stock or as options (F40?, Lambos). Nobody has posted any indication of having installed something like this on a Giulia though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so i'm able to get up and down the driveway with relative ease now. my wife says i have about 1/2 inch between floor and rear bumper...good enough i guess.

got some comments from a neighbor about the car being on 3 wheels when entering the driveway. guess the front passenger side likes to hang freely. was also notified that the car gives excessive rear wheel spin when trying to get up the initial driveway hump. anyone else experience similar?

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
ok so i'm able to get up and down the driveway with relative ease now. my wife says i have about 1/2 inch between floor and rear bumper...good enough i guess.

got some comments from a neighbor about the car being on 3 wheels when entering the driveway. guess the front passenger side likes to hang freely. was also notified that the car gives excessive rear wheel spin when trying to get up the initial driveway hump. anyone else experience similar?
It's good that you have a solution. With 4 people in the car it can be expected to sink by more than 1/2 inch, so keep that in mind when going for a drive with friends and/or family.

Call Me Al posted a picture of his QV with a jack under the right-front lifting the right rear wheel off the ground. Stiff chassis (a good thing) I guess. Usually the suspension has to be stiff too for this to happen, but I don't think the stock Giulia suspension qualifies as "stiff".

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yikes - never even considered this as an issue! How is the car on large community speed bumps?
Biggest speed bumps I see are in the UK...is that where you are? I’ve actually scraped my splitter on an uneven surface (a dip) on my street. I’ve learned to slow down significantly when I see those kind of road irregularities (I know...they’re almost everywhere).

I’ve never scraped anything on a speed bump, but that’s because I creep over them really slow. The damper settings may also impact that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts