Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an issue of a cracking sound coming from left/rear part of driver seat when turning right (when my weight shifts to left on seat). I am 185 pounds and 5'10", not a heavyweight. Very startling when it happens and extremely annoying!

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
No but there is a tiny bit of play in the seat back joint. Power and heat options all work fine on my Quad. Do you have heated seats?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,921 Posts
Anyone have an issue of a cracking sound coming from left/rear part of driver seat when turning right (when my weight shifts to left on seat). I am 185 pounds and 5'10", not a heavyweight. Very startling when it happens and extremely annoying!
Nope. I get some very faint ticking noise at 0.8 gs +, but do not know exactly where it comes from. A few rub marks in the right rear door frame and left rear trunk lid frame are suggestive however.

One forum member did have a defective QV seat base that would move under certain circumstances.

What seats and options do you have? (QV sparco/standard or 4 cyl sport/lusso/standard)

·
Registered
296 Posts
One forum member did have a defective QV seat base that would move under certain circumstances.
Yes, that was me. The right side of the seat would drop down an inch or so when accelerating or turning left - it was quite startling.
When the seat mechanism was replaced, the problem went away 100% - like night and day.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the base 2.0 Q4 with stock seats.
I'm in the same configuration as you. I had squeaking issues before but didn't have the cracking noise until last week. I've had it happen a few times now, specifically accelerating hard on right hand corners. If you have your dealer check it out let me know what they say, I probably won't have it looked at until my next service unless it gets really bad before that. Definitely startling when it happens.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I believe I'm getting this too. Any resolution from either of you? Seems to be on left hand turns, when my weight transfers right, and back. Also when getting in the car for the first time. I can't get it replicate artificially- it only happens organically while driving so it's a B to isolate. I've tried moving the chair and will attempt to tighten the seatbelt to see if it's either of those...

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,290 Posts
I believe I'm getting this too. Any resolution from either of you? Seems to be on left hand turns, when my weight transfers right, and back. Also when getting in the car for the first time. I can't get it replicate artificially- it only happens organically while driving so it's a B to isolate. I've tried moving the chair and will attempt to tighten the seatbelt to see if it's either of those...
I have this too and many others on the forum (you'd have to search for the threads). I haven't taken it in to get fixed yet but the issue is the flocking tape in the seat. The service advisor needs to take apart the seat and make sure the flocking tape is sturdy and thick and in place, and in some cases buy thick flocking tape from an upholstery store and use that instead.

Here's the thread: Fix For Creaky CF Seats in QV

Reactions: sandwich

·
Vendor
1,355 Posts
I'm in the same configuration as you. I had squeaking issues before but didn't have the cracking noise until last week. I've had it happen a few times now, specifically accelerating hard on right hand corners. If you have your dealer check it out let me know what they say, I probably won't have it looked at until my next service unless it gets really bad before that. Definitely startling when it happens.
Hello Nik,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concerns. Please keep us updated if you decide to get this addressed in the future. We're happy to assist if needed.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

Hello sandwich,
We are sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles. If you are unable to remedy this concern with the assistance of fellow forum members, I kindly suggest connecting with your dealer. If you decide to go this route and are in need of any assistance with that process, please feel free to send us a private message.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have this too and many others on the forum (you'd have to search for the threads). I haven't taken it in to get fixed yet but the issue is the flocking tape in the seat. The service advisor needs to take apart the seat and make sure the flocking tape is sturdy and thick and in place, and in some cases buy thick flocking tape from an upholstery store and use that instead.

Here's the thread: Fix For Creaky CF Seats in QV
thanks for the tip! I generally try to wait until there are several annoyances or a big problem before I try to bring it into the dealer, but this seems to be getting worse and worse. I bet next week it's going to be terrible.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm back!

Car has been to the dealer twice for this issue. They can't find anything wrong, or don't want to deal with it. Oddly the creaks only happen in a specific position- I can't figure out why. If I scoot my seat forward a little bit, the noise is gone. If I slide it back behind the original position, I don't hear it. If I'm in exactly the right position, it is unbearable and totally obvious. First time I took it in, they said "Leather seats creak" which is simply unacceptable.

Here are some other threads for people who will inevitably be searching for this in the future:

and a video (not mine) which shows the noise accurately:

I'll be taking my car in for the battery issue (a second time), the leather dash separating, the sunroof rattle, and the crazing infotainment screen next week. If the dealer tells me "That's just the way it is" yet again, I think I'll be driving something else in 2021.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts