Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When heading out to work today, I couldn't get my drivers side door to open. I tried to unlock/lock using the key fob but that didn't do anything. I had to go through the passenger door to manually open the driver side door using the handle. The only thing I can think of is the door got stuck because of the cold. It dropped to the teens last night. This previously happened to me a few days ago. On both instances, there were no obstructions in the door/lock area. Anyone ever experience this before?

· Registered
597 Posts
Mine were frozen shut. Took a bit of a tug.
No, the touch controls were not working, and yes, I was a little nervous.
In the past heating keys and hairdryers worked - but a hairdryer probably isn't handy at work
car made of ice?... infinite aerodynamics!

· Registered
2,471 Posts
@AllTheWayUp18, do you think that the latch was not unlatching, or that the door seal was frozen to the metal? As you may know, one has to be careful washing a car in freezing weather. Door rubber seals can easily freeze to the metal. As a precaution, one can spray silicone lubricant onto a shop towel and wipe-down the door seal after washing and drying the seal and the mating surface. Door latches (and hinges) need to be periodically lubricated, as well.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine were frozen shut. Took a bit of a tug.
No, the touch controls were not working, and yes, I was a little nervous.
In the past heating keys and hairdryers worked - but a hairdryer probably isn't handy at work
Yikes!!

My Miata had the same issue yesterday. Don't know about the Giulia as it was safely tucked in the garage.
Lucky Giulia, unfortunately I don’t have garage.

@AllTheWayUp18, do you think that the latch was not unlatching, or that the door seal was frozen to the metal? As you may know, one has to be careful washing a car in freezing weather. Door rubber seals can easily freeze to the metal. As a precaution, one can spray silicone lubricant onto a shop towel and wipe-down the door seal after washing and drying the seal and the mating surface. Door latches (and hinges) need to be periodically lubricated, as well.
Thanks for the tip. I actually do frequent car washes, I think the seal may have frozen as you mentioned. Hopefully, the silicone lubricant solves the issue. Thanks again!

· Registered
2,471 Posts
I see that you are in VA, where the temps were well below freezing this week. If you are washing your car in these temps you absolutely need to open all doors and trunk and wipe dry the seal area and then wipe with silicone. If not, frozen doors and torn seals and broken handles may be in your future.

· Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4
5 Posts
Yikes!!

Lucky Giulia, unfortunately I don’t have garage.

Thanks for the tip. I actually do frequent car washes, I think the seal may have frozen as you mentioned. Hopefully, the silicone lubricant solves the issue. Thanks again!
Hey guys, I seem to have come across the same problem. I washed my car last night and it’s cold weather, and now my driver door won’t open from the outside. I had to get in through the passenger side to open the door from the inside. Seems like the door isn’t latching? Do you think the problem will be solved when the temperature warms up?
Definitely trying to save a trip to the dealer. So much for me just trying to wash salt off my car smh

· Registered
2,471 Posts
So you got the drivers door open from the inside, and now it won't latch when you try to close it? Try spraying some WD40 into the latch mechanism on the door. If you have the mechanical ability, use the WD40 and with the door open, using a screw driver, manually try to operate the latching mechanism. If it latches closed, you will have to operate the door handle to release it (you may have to help it along with the screw driver or your finger). NEVER wash your car in freezing temps, or if the temps will drop to freezing over night. Even in the summer I dry the door seals and jambs.

· Registered
5 Posts
So you got the drivers door open from the inside, and now it won't latch when you try to close it? Try spraying some WD40 into the latch mechanism on the door. If you have the mechanical ability, use the WD40 and with the door open, using a screw driver, manually try to operate the latching mechanism. If it latches closed, you will have to operate the door handle to release it (you may have to help it along with the screw driver or your finger). NEVER wash your car in freezing temps, or if the temps will drop to freezing over night. Even in the summer I dry the door seals and jambs.
The door handle from the outside does not work. I can open from the inside though and the door can close. It’s just the door handle from the outside that doesn’t work.
I’m going to the store now to get some WD40

· Registered
304 Posts
I wipe down the seals and inside of the door jams every time I spray off the car. I only try to spray it off when the temp is above freezing though. You’d be surprised how much gets splashed on the b pillar and the bottom of the doors on the inside. It also makes the car look cleaner when the outside is very clean and shiny and so is everything else when you open the doors, trunk, or hood.

· Registered
2,471 Posts
The door handle from the outside does not work. I can open from the inside though and the door can close. It’s just the door handle from the outside that doesn’t work.
I’m going to the store now to get some WD40
This sounds like the mechanism for the outside door handle is broken. I have seen this happen when the door is frozen shut and someone continues to pull and over stresses the handle. The Dealer may warranty this.

· Registered
5 Posts
This sounds like the mechanism for the outside door handle is broken. I have seen this happen when the door is frozen shut and someone continues to pull and over stresses the handle. The Dealer may warranty this.
Yeah I figured it would be something like that. Taking the car to the dealership and I’ll give an update.
REMINDER: DONT WASH YOUR CAR IN FREEZING TEMPS lol smh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts