Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a QV, is Driver Assistance Package necessary and useful?
I prefer not to have it, because I think performance car driver should not reply on assistance.
If you can custom order your car, will you have this package?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There are two Assistance packages (passive and active) and neither is much of assistance lol...
You may want the passive part because it includes backup camera and dimming mirrors but active is mostly just a noise maker....I git a car from existing dealer allocation and it came with both but if you will order the car just skip the active part (lane departure, early collision warning, cross traffic warning etc) and spend money on something more fun

·
Registered
420 Posts
There are two Assistance packages (passive and active) and neither is much of assistance lol...
You may want the passive part because it includes backup camera and dimming mirrors but active is mostly just a noise maker....I git a car from existing dealer allocation and it came with both but if you will order the car just skip the active part (lane departure, early collision warning, cross traffic warning etc) and spend money on something more fun
Don't have the Giulia yet, but did just take delivery of a GLE with the P3 package. The technology in it is very helpful, especially safety items such as the blind detection, the lane departure, and the adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Don't have the Giulia yet, but did just take delivery of a GLE with the P3 package. The technology in it is very helpful, especially safety items such as the blind detection, the lane departure, and the adaptive cruise control.
Like everything else it is a matter of what you want....OP seems not to want or need these features and I agree with him....lane departure makes really funny farting noise that can be ridiculously loud if your radio is on, at least it does not interfere with steering like Audi's does....collision warning goes off for silly reasons and mostly freaks out the driver when things are completely under control.....cross traffic warning might save you from red light running lunatics....however it all comes down to how involved you are in driving and distracted by other things....I love driving, am always engaged and find all the nannies distracting actually, specially in busy traffic around DC...I am also former motorcycle racer and spend lots of time on my other italian girl, maybe thats why I do not need blind spot detection, have to be constantly aware of everything around me on different level on a bike and that skill transfers very well to car driving.....have not even tried the adaptive cruise control, might be really useful on less busy highways but I genereally drive with cruise control extremelly rarely

Might positivelly affect insurance rate though

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I agree with lowflyer, my Jeep SRT has all that and I have shut it all off because it is annoying....
The adaptive cruise control I find useful when towing my race car on long trips.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer not to have it, because I think performance car driver should not reply on assistance.

Where did you find two assistance packages?
I can only find one in QV, which costs $1500.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There are 2 assistance packages for Ti, QV might have passive assistance features already all included in base price, I dont know. Active assistance package is also $1500 for Ti, most of Tis coming to US also already have passive package included

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
my car came with the Driver Assistance Dynamic Launch Package $1200 option
it included
Forward Collision Warning
Lane Departure Warning
Automatic Highbeam Headlamp Control
Infared Windshield
waste of money IMHO...bells & yellow warning lights on dash & in the sideviews....

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Where did you find two assistance packages?
I can only find one in QV, which costs $1500.
I'm guessing thats the NEW pricing...LOL
CCBs went from $5500 to $8k I believe almost overnight!!!
They still charging $2200 for the RC paint??

·
Registered
646 Posts
Is the auto emergency stop feature a part of the active or the passive package?

A similar feature has come in handy twice in 2 years in my Volvo XC. Fully stopped the vehicle when driver ahead short-braked in tight city traffic. Probably saved me some light bumper work and increased insurance rates.

This technology really should become standard on all cars, would avoid a ton of accidents and lower insurance for all.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Yes, can be turned off entirely or desensitized.

The lane departure warning has two settings for either early or late detection. Turning it off it's a matter of pushing the button on the end of the turn signal stalk.

The forward collision warning also has a sensitivity setting adjustment. It can be set for the car to automatically brake, or not at all. The audible warning may be turned off as well from what I remember.

After a few months of use, I tend to leave the lane departure warning off for short drives. It is also set for a later warning sensitivity. It works very well honestly. When I first got the car I left it on all of the time because the steering is very sensitive.

I turned off the automatic braking for Forward Collision Warning. My thought is that I never want to create a worse situation behind me than in front. If a small object blows across the road, I don't want the car stopping automatically and suddenly. Anyone behind you can misjudge the situation and NOT understand that you're coming to a complete stop nearly or possibly rear ending you.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: inikkor

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's a personal preference thing. I've had the active emergency stop on 2 cars (BMW 328 wagon and a Porsche Panamera) and so far I have had 2 incidents of extremely annoying false alarms where the stupid car braked unnecessarily (freaking me and my family out) and zero cases of it doing something useful for me. And the lane assist stuff is useless for me because often the right line (from a comfort and smoothness perspective) is not so strictly within the painted lines, and in nearly 30 years of driving I have never, ever accidentally crossed a line that I didn't mean to cross.

So for me these are not features I want, and so I ordered a Giulia without these options. I can understand how others have different needs, though. That's why car companies offer these things as options usually. I'm glad Alfa does also. BMW actually offers 3 different levels of these assistance options in the 5-series for the same reason.

·
Registered
103 Posts
those assistances are more safety than considering as necessary. i will hope my beautiful alfa stops itself from smashing if i made a mistake.:wink2:

·
Registered
150 Posts
The B pillars on the Giulia are quite far forward. If you have long legs, you may find you're sitting at the B pillar and shoulder checks will be impossible. Blind spot monitoring provides information that you can use in your driving plan so I think it is beneficial, even to a good driver.

Lane Keep Assist in its current form is useless. But given the prominence of the on/off button, I think the future plan will be to have active lane keep assist (self steer).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the lane departure warning is a good idea in general (how many times have you seen others drift over a line, even if you have not?). I am glad to have it. The blind spot system seems to work well. As far as the front end collision warning and auto-braking, I have not had a problem. There is probably not enough data out there yet to help us decide if the risk of causing a collision with it is greater than the possibility of avoiding one. It is interesting to note though, that occasionally accidents are worsened by airbags. Some people still prefer to drive without seat belts, citing the time when so-and-so only survived because they didn't use a seat belt. How many people would remove their airbags or cut out their seat belts to improve safety? Someday will these new safety aids be seen in the same way?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the active system. I enjoy it mostly because it lowers my insurance, enough though it'll pay for itself through the life of the car - but I'm a young guy so it might not help someone's premium who's a bit older. I generally drive with the lane departure warning off unless I'm on the interstate for a long period of time (1+hrs). The "farting" noise it makes is meant to imitate the rumble strips on the side of the interstate, and given what the alternative could've been - the blind spot alert when changing lanes or the obnoxiously loud front collision warning sound - I think the fake rumble is good, especially when I'm driving almost an hour home from a nice dinner late at night. Drive on the left shoulder of the interstate and you'll hear what it sounds like. *BRR BRR BRR BRR*

As for the front collision warning, it has three settings: close, medium, and far. The car came set to far by default and man was it FAR. Way too far to be of any use. Medium distance isn't bad and I drove like that for a while, but there are still a few false alarms when people ahead of you are making a right turn or something. I drive on close now and seem to like it. It's only ever alerted me when I'm in traffic and the guy ahead stops hard. Never had the active auto-braking kick in, although I am happy to have that peace of mind. I've never had something blowing across the road set off the collision warning in any setting, so I assume it would have to be pretty **** big if it did.

It just comes down to how "engaged" a driver you are/want to be. I consider myself to be a pretty engaged driver rarely being distracted, but I still find the convenience helpful. Shunning the use of technology because you think "you can do it better" is the same argument as saying you can drive a manual faster than an automatic because you's a strong, independent driver who don't need no assistance. Yeah, you're a more engaged driver, but that doesn't make you a better driver... That being said, I still would've ordered my car in a manual had I had the chance.

In daily driving, the only system I find convenient is the cross-path monitoring when backing/pulling out of a blind parking spot. But on long drives, or when I venture into Ohio where no one can drive, I enjoy having the package. I also don't want to be the guy who totals his $80k car because someone stopped in front of him. If it won't effect your insurance premiums, and you'd plan on driving with most of the systems off, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,444 Posts
I have the active system. I enjoy it mostly because it lowers my insurance, enough though it'll pay for itself through the life of the car - but I'm a young guy so it might not help someone's premium who's a bit older. I generally drive with the lane departure warning off unless I'm on the interstate for a long period of time (1+hrs). The "farting" noise it makes is meant to imitate the rumble strips on the side of the interstate, and given what the alternative could've been - the blind spot alert when changing lanes or the obnoxiously loud front collision warning sound - I think the fake rumble is good, especially when I'm driving almost an hour home from a nice dinner late at night. Drive on the left shoulder of the interstate and you'll hear what it sounds like. *BRR BRR BRR BRR*

As for the front collision warning, it has three settings: close, medium, and far. The car came set to far by default and man was it FAR. Way too far to be of any use. Medium distance isn't bad and I drove like that for a while, but there are still a few false alarms when people ahead of you are making a right turn or something. I drive on close now and seem to like it. It's only ever alerted me when I'm in traffic and the guy ahead stops hard. Never had the active auto-braking kick in, although I am happy to have that peace of mind. I've never had something blowing across the road set off the collision warning in any setting, so I assume it would have to be pretty **** big if it did.

It just comes down to how "engaged" a driver you are/want to be. I consider myself to be a pretty engaged driver rarely being distracted, but I still find the convenience helpful. Shunning the use of technology because you think "you can do it better" is the same argument as saying you can drive a manual faster than an automatic because you's a strong, independent driver who don't need no assistance. Yeah, you're a more engaged driver, but that doesn't make you a better driver... That being said, I still would've ordered my car in a manual had I had the chance.

In daily driving, the only system I find convenient is the cross-path monitoring when backing/pulling out of a blind parking spot. But on long drives, or when I venture into Ohio where no one can drive, I enjoy having the package. I also don't want to be the guy who totals his $80k car because someone stopped in front of him. If it won't effect your insurance premiums, and you'd plan on driving with most of the systems off, don't waste your money.
Spoken like a Michigander.

The car certainly has a repertoire of sounds. It really yells at you to fasten your seat belt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Spoken like a Michigander.

The car certainly has a repertoire of sounds. It really yells at you to fasten your seat belt.
Haha! Actually other side of Ohio - I'm from Kentucky, about 20 minutes south of Cincinnati. But yeah the seatbelt 'ding' is a bit loud, although my OCD is happy that is dings on and off with the dash light.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts