Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying at the idea of picking up a 2.0 ti model as a CPO once they get the kinks worked out (I rarely buy new). Anways, I happened to be looking at the service intervals. Some intervals are as expected, others floored me. A drivebelt change every few years?! On a modern car?! Is this for real, or an unnecessary money making scam? Your input is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It's just the accessory belt (timing uses a chain). Not a big deal to replace it.
Not a "big deal" on the 2.0 engine.
The 2.9 engine, it's quite a job.
I remember hearing a tech say that it's about 6-8 hours.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
How often ?

How often is the "accessory belt" replaced on the Quad ?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
How often is the "accessory belt" replaced on the Quad ?
Typically, on most modern engines, I see 4-6-8 years and about 60-80 thousand miles of service before the rubber shows signs of cracking or other deterioration. Some more, some less.
Perhaps on your Quad, just before the warranty expires, the belt may have an unfortunate accident. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hopefully just before and not after !!!! :crying:...Owning a 164 also I know the importance of belt maintenance...I know the Quad has a timing chain....I thought that was a big plus....what does the manual suggest re: Accessory belt changes ? Are you aware ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hopefully just before and not after !!!! :crying:...Owning a 164 also I know the importance of belt maintenance...I know the Quad has a timing chain....I thought that was a big plus....what does the manual suggest re: Accessory belt changes ? Are you aware ?

This is the same for both engines.

Areas that are not dusty: recommended maximum mileage 36,000 miles (60,00 km). Regardless of the mileage, the belt must be replaced every 4 years. Dusty areas and/or demanding use of the vehicle (cold climates, town use, long periods of idling): advised maximum mileage 18,000 miles (30,000 km). Regardless of the mileage, the belt must be replaced every 2 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I'm wondering is, is this a recommendation based on them assuming you're driving it hard under extreme conditions every day, including frequent tracking? Is it an Italian tradition? Because unless they're using so-so quality belts, I can't imagine these cars needing new ones every few years. Especially on an engine that is going to find it's way to mainstream FCA products if it hasn't already. I don't know how well that's going to sit with mainstream people.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Inspect at the recommended intervals and replace as necessary. An experienced mechanic can assess deterioration of rubber drive belts.

But having owned many Italian cars over the years I don't recommend skimping on maintenance. The reputation of Italian cars being unreliable is caused by neglectful owners and mechanics that lack the tools and sophistication to properly wrench on Italian cars. My motto is 'fix it before it breaks' and love your mechanic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts