Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Dreaded "windshield crack day" & now? Here it is. $613

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  freedomgli 
#1 ·
After 1 year, 16 days of ownership, I finally got my first windshield crack.

I was in the fast lane, 3 lanes over from an empty gravel truck, when CRACK!

Fairly small and quiet rock hit the passenger side, about as close to the A pillar as possible, approximately halfway up the windshield.

Had a little star and a 9-inch crack, which by the end of the afternoon had become a 20-inch crack.

SafeLite coming to my work on Thursday afternoon.

Cost: $613

Not fun. :frown2:

#3 ·
Not in a state which allows that specifically. Glass coverage is included within my "Comprehensive" category which has a deductible of $1001.00 right now.

If I were in AZ , it would not cost me a penny. I was there for almost 17 years, and with all the gravel there, I probably replaced 5-8 windshields.

#5 ·

Fairly small and quiet rock hit the passenger side, about as close to the A pillar as possible, approximately halfway up the windshield.

Had a little star and a 9-inch crack, which by the end of the afternoon had become a 20-inch crack.

Not fun. /forum/images/GiuliaForums/smilies/tango_face_sad.png
Dang. Honestly though that's a steal! I had mine replaced about 8 months ago for $1200. Luckily I didn't have to pay for it though because it was initially just a chip, and when I took it to get repaired, the repairman accidentally shattered it so the repair company paid for the replacement. So assuming that you got OEM glass, that's actually pretty darn cheap.

#7 ·

Not fun. :frown2:

Is it Alfa glass? I remember I was told by my dealer that a windshield replacement for me (IR glass), would be ~$1200.

#11 ·
Rock hit my windshield yesterday and it is toast. Not repairable.

I am in Florida so no deductible on it but my insurance company wants me to go through Safelite. I am having my local
AR dealer submit a bid also.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket infrared glass out there? I hope not.

#12 ·
There is, but the problem is the glass all shows the same PN regardless of options- which means, it may or may not have all the right features for your car. According to Safelite his is typical for new model cars. They couldn't guarantee it was the right glass for my car because of that- so they recommended OE, and I went OE.

It was $1400 installed for the OE windshield.

#13 ·
My local Alfa dealer said my windshield is in backorder. It won’t be in until November. That really sucks. This crack is across half my glass.

I am going to call safelite to discuss with them but I suspect they won’t know what glass I need exactly. For my old Lexus they came out 3 times with the wrong glass.

#14 ·
So I have a windshield on order from my local Alfa dealer. They mentioned that they also need to get there hands on a recalibration tool for the camera on the windshield. Hey have no idea when they will get it.

Has anyone else run into this problem before? This is my concern about using anyone else other than Alfa for the windshield but then again they don’t have the tool they need apparently.

#20 ·
I’d be surprised if your dealer sold you a 3rd party windshield protection plan on your new car but it wouldn’t be the first time a dealer worked outside the “normal” sales channels to make a buck. If you have the Mopar plan then read the fine print because it doesn’t cover windshield replacement at all. It covers chips and cracks that could easily be repaired by any auto glass installer using $5 worth of epoxy. Under the Mopar plans if it cannot be repaired then you’re on your own for replacement. For people living in states that allow insurance companies to sell no-deductible window glass coverage as part of the comprehensive policy then no worries. For everyone else, pepper your angus because it’s going to hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.