Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed (ever since I had the car) that when I'm in Dynamic manual mode and I downshift in 2nd gear, the car applies brakes before rev matching. This doesn't happen in any other downshift, and not even in 2nd gear downshifts in N mode.
Does anyone confirm this strange behavior or has an explanation for it?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I noticed (ever since I had the car) that when I'm in Dynamic manual mode and I downshift in 2nd gear, the car applies brakes before rev matching. This doesn't happen in any other downshift, and not even in 2nd gear downshifts in N mode.
Does anyone confirm this strange behavior or has an explanation for it?
I've never noticed the brakes being applied while downshifting into first. I usually allow the car to drop into one on it's own, it's a lot smoother that way.

As a whole, I drive her (our Giulia) in Dynamic Auto while in town or just cruising. It's when I start flogging her in the twisties that I switch over to Manual mode (still Dynamic). When at speed in the mountains or canyons, I'm going to fast to warrant first or even second gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asume what you feel is the inertia of the engine, which has to be accelerated, not the brakes!
The shifts in Dynamic manuale are really fast, and the three to two has a bigger gearstep thats why it's maybe more noticeable?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I asume what you feel is the inertia of the engine, which has to be accelerated, not the brakes!
The shifts in Dynamic manuale are really fast, and the three to two has a bigger gearstep thats why it's maybe more noticeable?
I think this is most likely, too. I manual shift in Dynamic around town quite a lot, and have never felt the car to brake. It does rev match, which is why I like doing it, and you can feel engine drag, but I’ve never felt it brake when going from 3>2 or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I'll post a video, the jolt is pronounced and there is an immediate 5mph decrease in speed.
If it's the inertia of the engine, then the rev matching in that gear is wrong and it should be a little higher. Only in dynamic! go figure..

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is not the Brakes you are feeling, it is called Brake Clutch A inside the transmission. All the gear shifts from the first to the eighth speed and vice versa, are called overlapping engagement/disengagement because during the shift, one clutch must maintain the ability to transmit torque with a reduced pressure, until the other clutch is able to take on the torque, while Brakes A and B offload the engine torque to the transmission housing.

The gear shift, controlled by the TCM, is supported by a brief reduction in engine torque, when shifting up, or a brief increase in torque when shifting down. Thanks to the crossed movements, the old style freewheel clutches have been replaced by a hydraulic clutch control, with a saving in weight and size.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Maybe I'll post a video, the jolt is pronounced and there is an immediate 5mph decrease in speed.
If it's the inertia of the engine, then the rev matching in that gear is wrong and it should be a little higher. Only in dynamic! go figure..
Hmm... When was the last time you went in for service or updates? The latest update is the T-57 (very new actually) which smoothed out a lot of things including shifts. It's more of an ECU update, but really smoothed out the transmission shifts. There's been a few other updates since I bought my Ti just over a year ago, each one smoothing out things even more than the previous.

The dealer does have other 'fixes', but most can only be applied if the owner complains and then the dealer can verify the problem exists. Perhaps this is adjustable on there part.

I suppose another question could be asked,
What speed are you doing when you drop into 2nd?
What does the RPM change from and change to?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Just simply physics doing what they do best. It's an abrupt downshift and there's more engine braking than usual. It's more pronounced if you have the Euro Tune P1 installed as well. Personally, a bit more rev matching would do the trick but you may give up that extra 800rpm to squeeze a few more ponys. Basically, they're allowing you to downshift to D2 at a higher RPM compared to other gears. If you don't press the gas at the same time or right after, you get that "jolt" from the engine braking.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
Tried the sequential hold technique in 'N' mode this morning. Worked fine though I'm not sure how much it helped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts