Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this subject has been touched on here and there but not extensively.
I tried holding in the paddle while braking and it did several downshifts rather than me pull the paddle for each downshift.
Not sure if there is a specific method though. For example if i hold it for 4 seconds will it downshift 4 gears in succession once The computer knows the tranny can handle it or will it just downshift to the gear selection it thinks is best?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
From my humble experience of paddle shifting in sports cars, you are better off clicking down (quickly) to the desired gear as opposed to holding the paddle down and letting the computer decide...
Not sure about the Giulia, but I'm guessing it would be the same.....
Please correct me if I'm wrong....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my humble experience of paddle shifting in sports cars, you are better off clicking down (quickly) to the desired gear as opposed to holding the paddle down and letting the computer decide...
Not sure about the Giulia, but I'm guessing it would be the same.....
Please correct me if I'm wrong....
At times it wont let you bang downshifts in succession typically if Rpm are above 4500.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Maybe because you may be above the RPM range for the gear you are trying to engage? Again, I don't own a Giulia...... yet......but MDriver's QV I test drove had pretty short gears.....

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
Some points of reference from my experience (not in a Giulia):

On steep downgrades it is possible to over rev the engine without giving it any throttle. That can lead to somewhat conservative RPM requirements before the transmission controller allows downshifting.

If you are reasonably fast it is possible to hit a paddle about 10 times a second (100mSec) with the paddle being held down for 40-50mSec. I think the ZF 8 speed shifts in about 250mSec. ZF claims that the 8 speed is not sequential and can jump between any gear selection. Now the question is if Giulia can respond to rapid hitting of the paddle and/or holding the paddle down. If holding the paddle down, clearly 1 shift per second is WAY too slow. IMO, a "click" of the paddle should shift one gear and a "hold" (> 250mSec) of the paddle should jump to either the lowest (left paddle) or highest (right paddle) allowed gear for the current vehicle speed; at least if in Dynamic or Race mode. If you click the paddle N times the transmission should jump shift N gears (or as many as possible) as quickly as possible; this should work in any mode. For big downshifts it should also include an appropriately sized throttle blip; especially in A mode, in order to make the shift smoother.

My Subaru has a CVT, but the stupid thing emulates a 6 speed manual when manual control is demanded. It also shifts painfully slowly (1-2 seconds); one shift per "click", no registering of a click made before the shift is completed, no smart response to my holding down the paddle. I sure hope Giulia is better...

·
Registered
47 Posts
So this subject has been touched on here and there but not extensively.
I tried holding in the paddle while braking and it did several downshifts rather than me pull the paddle for each downshift.
Not sure if there is a specific method though. For example if i hold it for 4 seconds will it downshift 4 gears in succession once The computer knows the tranny can handle it or will it just downshift to the gear selection it thinks is best?
I haven't checked myself, but in several reviews I heard it was the 'Ferrari way'. That's how paddles work in Ferrari auto boxes -- when you hold the paddle it will keep downshifting as soon as RPM allows it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me clarify my question:
Ive already determined it will do rapid downshifts in succession by holding the paddle but im trying to figure out if there is a specific amount of time to hold the paddle to achieve a specific amount of downshifts.
For example coming into a turn and wanting to go from 6th to 3rd in one action as i would be able to do in a manual as long as the revs matched.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Let me clarify my question:
Ive already determined it will do rapid downshifts in succession by holding the paddle but im trying to figure out if there is a specific amount of time to hold the paddle to achieve a specific amount of downshifts.
For example coming into a turn and wanting to go from 6th to 3rd in one action as i would be able to do in a manual as long as the revs matched.
Using the hold technique, you release it when the right gear is selected. The actual time will depend how hard you are braking as downshifts are a function of engine speed.

If you know you want to come down 3 gears, better to pull the lever 3 times.

The hold the gear thing is more for fun. On the QV it is disabled in Race mode. I can't imagine any driver holding the paddle to downshift when driving seriously, only for fun.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Using the hold technique, you release it when the right gear is selected. The actual time will depend how hard you are braking as downshifts are a function of engine speed.

If you know you want to come down 3 gears, better to pull the lever 3 times.

The hold the gear thing is more for fun. On the QV it is disabled in Race mode. I can't imagine any driver holding the paddle to downshift when driving seriously, only for fun.
Thank you. I have answered my own question as well just came back from a drive experimenting like you said it's fun to do but probably smarter to go through the gears sequentially.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts